Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I can hear a smoothing type harmonic sound under load at about 4500 rpms. Does anybody else hear a nice smooth harmonic sound at any speed or rpm's where the bike just sounds right? Is this normal in the Ducati motors? I'm not a mechanic so I have no idea. But I do know that it sounds GOOOOOOOD.

It's kinda like the sound of tuning a guitar with harmonics and you get that wahwahwahwahwahwaaahwaaahwaaaaaahwaaaaaahwaaaaaaaaaaaaa...... type of sound.

Sorry if this sounds odd, but just curious about the Ducati brand. I've had inlines and never heard anything like that.

By the way, 4500 rpms in third or fourth gear.

·
Premium Member
1,861 Posts
On your note...my rig seems right at about 5500 rpm or so (160 km/h in 6th). It really becomes a Monster after 6000 (any gear).

·
Home of vortex tuning
1,648 Posts
I had a roll in the cams on my '69 XLCH @70 per that no one else had. All wanted to ride alongside to listen to the music. Went away with a new set of Siftons. The hyper is quiet.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I haven't found the spot with the GT but riding with a frined on his ST2 we occasionally get the sound between the two bikes.

Very slight throttle changes in either bike can make the harmonic shift closer or farther apart.

Gives me goose bumbs under the leather.

·
Senior Italophile
865 Posts
I can hear a smoothing type harmonic sound under load at about 4500 rpms. Does anybody else hear a nice smooth harmonic sound at any speed or rpm's where the bike just sounds right? Is this normal in the Ducati motors? I'm not a mechanic so I have no idea. But I do know that it sounds GOOOOOOOD.

It's kinda like the sound of tuning a guitar with harmonics and you get that wahwahwahwahwahwaaahwaaahwaaaaaahwaaaaaahwaaaaaaaaaaaaa...... type of sound.

Sorry if this sounds odd, but just curious about the Ducati brand. I've had inlines and never heard anything like that.

By the way, 4500 rpms in third or fourth gear.
I only find that this happens when I ride with another Duc with similar displacement, similar gearing, and loud pipes. if you ride in the sound cone behind or near to the rear of another duc the sound of your duc's rpms will come in sync and out of sync with theirs. thus the wha whaa whaaa whaaaa whaaaaa whaaaaaa whaaaaaaa whaaaaaaaa whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa whaaaaaaaa whaaaaaaa whaaaaaa whaaaaa whaaaa whaaa whaa wha.......... the coolest sound I remember was at the track, rolling through a
slow/medium speed turn in a group of four ducs and the sound of the harmonics was amazing!

·
Registered
516 Posts
I have heard this on a couple of rides with another 916. The phenomenon is called "beats" : where two wavelengths are very close but just a little bit different so that slow constructive and destructive interference occurs. It sounds great.

·
Registered
688 Posts
An interesting harmonic was created when I rode my 860gt beside my buddy's 850 Norton Commando. Zen.

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the answers. But I heard this when I was riding alone. I guess, in laymans terms, that I'm asking if there is a certain spot that all working components (valves, pistons, gears, exhaust, etc.) create the ultimate in tune pitch that it just makes this.....sound....that's not only faintly heard, but also felt? I just don't have that kind of knowledge. But I do wanna know.

·
Registered
73 Posts
I haven't found the spot with the GT but riding with a frined on his ST2 we occasionally get the sound between the two bikes.

Very slight throttle changes in either bike can make the harmonic shift closer or farther apart.

Gives me goose bumbs under the leather.
Yeah, I've heard this a fair bit too.
Love it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts