Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I started off my riding career with the purchase of a 2018 Harley Davidson Softail Slim, rode it for a year and was unimpressed, no modern features or ABS. I later upgraded to a 2019 Street Glide Special, because I wanted more engine (114 cu) and bags for my work gear since my daily is my bike. I got into Harley's for the iconic culture and allure. I found out today after test riding a Multistrada 1260s Twin Peaks and Diavel 1260s, that I was SEVERELY limiting myself in terms of price to bike. I paid around $28k for the Street Glide and both 1260s Ducatis are about $3-5k cheaper and man LET ME TELL YOU! WOW JUST FREAKING WOW! After coming home it's all I could think about. The icing on the cake is my Harley Street Glide sold today to a guy that had to have it, leaving me bike-less. Not a good thing after leaving those two bikes bike at the showroom as I try and make up my mind between the two. Thoughts or suggestions to help me? I rode both and STILL can't decide between them. Obviously the riding position is different but I liked both in their own way. But one thing is for sure, my Harley riding days are over. There is no going back from all that power with a quick up/down shifter. Arguably the most memorable thing next to the eyelid peeling power. I'm hooked!

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Welcome to dot MS. I dunno what advice to offer other than the type of riding you do will more or less determine which one to go with.

Having ridden one of the early Diavel at the Cycle World launch, I can appreciate it as a motorcycle....and it actually handles quite well, even with that 240 section rear tire.

As I’m inseam challenged a bit, anything remotely adventure like with a tall seat height is not something I’ve considered so I have nothing for you there.

Good luck with your decision, it really isn’t like either is a bad choice

·
Registered
919 Posts
Depends on what you want to do with it.....

I have a Diavel and love it, it's comfy enough to ride long distance but also sporty enough to ride with mates on sportbikes...
To be fair though, the Multi will do both just as well, as well as being good on dirt roads etc if you're so inclined.

Depends on how tall you are for one, I'm a shorty and the Diavel has low saddle so i'm very comfortable on it, the Multi is doable but could be challenging in certain places.
If you want to go away and carry anything remotely like luggage go for the multi, if you're into day rides and want to keep it simple, the Diavel is a lot of fun.....

You won't go wrong with either, both great bikes, i'd see if i could get one for a weekend and try them both that way, you will know which you prefer if you do that...

·
Premium Member
12,294 Posts
Just keep buying them till you find the dream bike. All have their plusses and minuses, I found that going big or stay at home lessens the chance of buyers remorse. The only cure for buyers remorse is buying what you Think you really may, might want.
Big bikes uually have way more power than you can use or "Need". but the thrill of experiencing the thrill is there for when you need the rush.
The way most buy bikes is the eye catching first look gotcha that is the one for me.
don't look at the price tag just sign away on the dotted line. It will get paid off sometime...

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just keep buying them till you find the dream bike. All have their plusses and minuses, I found that going big or stay at home lessens the chance of buyers remorse. The only cure for buyers remorse is buying what you Think you really may, might want.
Big bikes uually have way more power than you can use or "Need". but the thrill of experiencing the thrill is there for when you need the rush.
The way most buy bikes is the eye catching first look gotcha that is the one for me.
don't look at the price tag just sign away on the dotted line. It will get paid off sometime...
This is by far the best advise I've received in my life. Thanks for being the enabler I need in my life. Lol

·
Premium Member
1,307 Posts
Since yours was a daily rider and you have to carry gear for work. I would go MTS, it carries hard bags as a normal part of its day. You certainly cannot go wrong with a MTS as a daily ride.

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
We had to get a new garage door opener recently. The guy told me he did work at a local big Harley dealers house.
And the Harley dealer had in his home garage, Ducatis! :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
Not a Twin, not a "real" Ducati......
From everything I've seen, and read, it's supposed to give it a boost in reliability and extended service periods. It's also supposed to produce 170 hp, only 10 hp more, but that equates to paying $4k for a full exhaust to get that boost. The thing that worries me is that with all new things, it comes with its own new problems. Every Ducati that comes out has had recalls.

·
Registered
4,992 Posts
From everything I've seen, and read, it's supposed to give it a boost in reliability and extended service periods. It's also supposed to produce 170 hp, only 10 hp more, but that equates to paying $4k for a full exhaust to get that boost. The thing that worries me is that with all new things, it comes with its own new problems. Every Ducati that comes out has had recalls.
But at least no desmo valve checks every 15000 miles...

Ducatis first V4* back in the '60s had valve springs, just like my first Ducati...a 750 GT.

*(research the Ducati Apollo. A bike too fast for it's tires.)

·
Registered
919 Posts
you've been riding for 2 years, and on a Harley and you think an extra 10 hp up to 170 is going to matter?

LOL, there are maybe 5 riders in 100 that can use anywhere near that kind of horsepower, and on the street you would be lucky to use more than 45 or 50 hp, 90% of the time.

Boost in reliability? doubt it, nothing wrong with the reliability of the Ducati V twin, whether it be Testastretta Evo (belt drive) or Panigale (Chain drive) and the service intervals, which used to be too small at 6000 miles are now out to what? 40k miles for a valve check/adjust. Which, by the way is just marketing to get the running costs down....

Recalls are a fact of life, best to wait for the next generation where they are ironed out if that's more important than having the latest and greatest, which like everything will be a year old and superseded before you know it.

Personally I would suggest a Pikes Peak multi or a 1260 Diavel S, glorious V twin sound, excellent manners, reliability, pose value etc and all the bug are well and truly sorted. They make more than enough power for anybody using it on the road and they even get good fuel economy!

·
Premium Member
12,294 Posts
A brand new bike that most of us like to maintain. Ducati will bleed us to death with going to the dealer for simple fixes. Cost us our first born for a service manual. The old days are long gone. Gonna be expensive to make them our own.
Mileage makes me chuckle, put fuel in it when it gets low. Maybe there will be an app to call you when it needs gas.
AMAZING machines. BUT no more simple fixes. You don't need to have 150hp to have fun.
There is sumptin to be said for petcocks and kick starters and mechanical brakes. So what's it gonna be ? Door number one or door number 2 or door number 3? Sooo many choices.
Hey I want the moon...Enjoy the madness.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
you've been riding for 2 years, and on a Harley and you think an extra 10 hp up to 170 is going to matter?

LOL, there are maybe 5 riders in 100 that can use anywhere near that kind of horsepower, and on the street you would be lucky to use more than 45 or 50 hp, 90% of the time.

Boost in reliability? doubt it, nothing wrong with the reliability of the Ducati V twin, whether it be Testastretta Evo (belt drive) or Panigale (Chain drive) and the service intervals, which used to be too small at 6000 miles are now out to what? 40k miles for a valve check/adjust. Which, by the way is just marketing to get the running costs down....

Recalls are a fact of life, best to wait for the next generation where they are ironed out if that's more important than having the latest and greatest, which like everything will be a year old and superseded before you know it.

Personally I would suggest a Pikes Peak multi or a 1260 Diavel S, glorious V twin sound, excellent manners, reliability, pose value etc and all the bug are well and truly sorted. They make more than enough power for anybody using it on the road and they even get good fuel economy!
I appreciate the tough love and straightforward answer, I didn't intend on waiting for the new V4 Gran Turismo engine anyway, as the soonest I'll see it is spring of next year in the dealers. I said the same thing to the dealer about purchasing a new engine and the recalls that come out the first year during every release. You're 100% right I would rather have an engine that's had all the flows ironed out and from my test drive on both of the motorcycles you recommended they have more power than I will likely ever use. In terms of buying the latest and greatest we're talking about $25,000 motorcycles, in which if I buy one, I would want to buy the latest and greatest ,as my depreciation, Will put me upside down in the bike and as you said it will be out matched and superseded by next year. But again it already has more than enough. I appreciate you being the voice of reason. The hardest part for me is choosing between the two, I'm really in love with both the Pikes peak and the Diavel s.

·
Premium Member
12,294 Posts
I believe that the Dealer will make or brake your Ducati experience. But sadly Ducati has been known to pull the rug out from the Good Dealers too.
Time is a wasting the earth is orbiting away your riding time...
I usually go full circle with pluses and minuses, then come to a conclusion that I was right all along and overspend. What fun!

·
Registered
2,507 Posts

... totally agree. In fact I feel that most riders can't handle nearly half of what a modern 600cc Supersport can do. Most riders can't use most of that bike's performance capability beyond downshifted throttle shots and dank woolies in front of their brahs. Anything higher than (roughly) a 1:8 hp to weight (pounds) ratio is wasted on John Q. Wannarace.

I totally ~get~ the appeal of bragging rights levels of horsepowers, motorcycles aren't about practicality and most of us know that ... they're about having the control over when/where you leave a very well defined pucker mark in your bike's seat from the massive adrenaline hit released when you left that six inch wide black stripe from wheelspin the obscene level of power created nearly all the way around that last 270 degree freeway onramp ... crossed up and totally roasting that rear tire while accelerating out of the onramp .. the front wheel lifting as you hang off .. helmet down near your throttle hand, standing the bike up and hard on the gas on the corner exit.

So ~yea~ I get the whole thrills thing ... but I agree with Looney ... other than that little doubt in the back of your head about "I coulda had the BIG one" you'll never (ever) notice 10hp loss or increase unless you're doing stuff like full-on land speed record runs or actual drag racing at an actual drag strip or the like.

But hey, it's your money so you must be happy with how you spend it. So, follow your heart I guess?

·
Premium Member
4,369 Posts
No offence but given the lack of riding experience I am going to vote for the V4 with more peak power.

Take a look at comparisons between the bikes on a dyno and avoid looking at peak numbers, look where you will be most of the time and that's likely to be low and mid range with a few blasts up to redline. Most 4 cylinder bikes make power in a diagonal line , as you add rpms you add Hp. Twins in comparison make much more power in the low to mid range and then run out of steam where the multicylinder bikes continue on. So Usually the twins are stronger down low and the 4's stronger up top.

I would expect a newer rider will find the 4 cyl more smooth and easier to ride as it is simply making less power and is usually very linear if you want to get to where the power is greater. Yes both have rider modes to tame whatever power level you are comfortable with but most pick a mode and leave it there other than adverse conditions.

Head vs heart decision between them.
You have had a cruiser and use it for work so I would try the multi to see if you prefer that seating position and layout.

Good luck with whichever you choose.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts