Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Sophomore Member
3,183 Posts
I did the same as @Jeff_H . The gps doesn’t need to be activated.

Reactions: Jeff_H

·
Registered
438 Posts
All I'm saying is I verified I had power by temporarily connecting (holding together) the gps wires to the Ducati wires, then turned on the ignition. Once I identified the hot wires, I marked them and solder connected them together. Are you testing for power using a voltmeter or have you tried actually connecting the gps wires?
I feel like I'm not helping. I apologize.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Yes, I am putting a voltmeter across the wires coming from the connector ---no power there even with ignition on. I was going to call the dealer today, but realize they're closed MOndays. Ah well...it will have to wait.

·
Sophomore Member
3,183 Posts
We are suggesting you try connecting the wires up and see. Put away the multimeter. It’s really low power. I understand it should measure the voltage, but just try connecting up the wires and see.

Reactions: Jeff_H

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I have a really good multimeter:) If there's power there, it will pick it up.
Speaking of which....right next to the little white connector for the gps there is a large connector with a plug in it...no pigtail....Can anyone tell me what this is typically used for? It measures 12 volts unswitched...always on, whether the ignition is on or not.

·
Sophomore Member
3,183 Posts
The other plug is for the keyless gas cap.

·
Registered
51 Posts
My 30-year-old Radio Shack multimeter had no trouble finding 12+ volts between the hot wire and the frame once I turned the ignition on.

·
Registered
10 Posts
BTW////I should have mentioned, as this has been m y first post, that I love this bike. It has some issues around the seat, and its a little harder to load us two old folks for riding two up, but once we get rolling....wow. Quite a machine. I look forward to learning a lot around here.
Regarding the seat, I used the Wildass motorcycle air cushion on a 8-12 hr/day 3,200 mile ride and it make a HUGE difference. I also got one for the passenger seat on shorter rides with my girlfriend and she loves it too.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
My 30-year-old Radio Shack multimeter had no trouble finding 12+ volts between the hot wire and the frame once I turned the ignition on.
OK..mystery cleared. On the new multistradas the auxilary power lines have to be activated via software input at the dealers. I guess its Ducati protecting its dealers, but its a pain in the ass. When I have them do the 1000 KM service, I'll just have them activate everything.

·
Registered
438 Posts
What a terrible business model. Sorry you had to go through the hassle. If the bikes weren't so gorgeous I would really start disliking this company.

·
Registered
51 Posts
That’s weird - I bought mine in November, 1260s Touring and didn’t ask them to activate anything, just had them load the map for the Termi exhaust after I installed it. Maybe they activate the GPS power as part of the Touring package?

Glad you got it sorted though, and you can go back to enjoying your bike, now with GPS. I’m really loving mine (both the bike and Zumo XT).

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
What a terrible business model. Sorry you had to go through the hassle. If the bikes weren't so gorgeous I would really start disliking this company.
yeah...I'm with you there. I've also read that if you like to change oil and do basic servicing like I like to, this may not be your bike: suppposedy, there's a 'service clock' that can only be reset at a dealer.
That’s weird - I bought mine in November, 1260s Touring and didn’t ask them to activate anything, just had them load the map for the Termi exhaust after I installed it. Maybe they activate the GPS power as part of the Touring package?

Glad you got it sorted though, and you can go back to enjoying your bike, now with GPS. I’m really loving mine (both the bike and Zumo XT).
Thanks...I did get the touring package...ah well, I have to ride it three hours to the dealer to get the 1000 km service, so we'll do it then.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts