Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I understand there is auxillary wiring available in my new 2020 950 S, and I assume I can somehow connect my bare wire leads provided by Garmin to power the Garmin Zumo unit?
I've taken off the front left panel, and find what appear to be three unused connectors. One large one is powered all the time and is not switched on or off by the ignition switch; The other two appear to be a four wire and a two wire connector, respectively. I can't tell if they are powered at all, as my leads from my meter are too large to access the terminals. I assume they are though. Can anyone provide additional info?
I have searched YouTube, which is what led me to take off the front panel, but I can't find any more specific info on wiring up the Garmin.
(I prefer not to use the usb option, as I'd like to reserve that, and Garmin supplies a vare wire power lead.)

·
Registered
439 Posts
Hi Dave. I just did this last month on my '19 Pikes Peak using a post from this forum. I did a forum search originally, but I'll see if I can find it again. On the 1260, the GPS hardwire is to the left of the ignition switch, once you remove the cover and dig down there a bit. It will have a little white connector, but the ends of the wires will be sealed up in some kind of soldered protective material. Snip that stuff off to expose your wire ends, then you can solder wires from your GPS to them. I'm probably not helping. I'll see if I can find the link.

·
Registered
439 Posts

I think this is what I used...

·
Registered
1,779 Posts
switched power --the easy place to go is your tail light. yes you have to run the wire back there -but you know one thing --the tail light is switched power. there are other places you can go but -that is the most simple no brain place to connect---run the wire back there & use a scotch lock

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi Dave. I just did this last month on my '19 Pikes Peak using a post from this forum. I did a forum search originally, but I'll see if I can find it again. On the 1260, the GPS hardwire is to the left of the ignition switch, once you remove the cover and dig down there a bit. It will have a little white connector, but the ends of the wires will be sealed up in some kind of soldered protective material. Snip that stuff off to expose your wire ends, then you can solder wires from your GPS to them. I'm probably not helping. I'll see if I can find the link.
That’s what I did - nice clean install. I used a multimeter to make sure which was ground and which was hot.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all...I will look at that link. I think I know what little white connector you are talking about. I can just cut off the white connector they use (as I probably can't find a mate up here on the coast) and use my own connectors so that its swappable later. Just wanted to touch base with someone who'd been there and done that as a reality check. Thanks again!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
BTW////I should have mentioned, as this has been m y first post, that I love this bike. It has some issues around the seat, and its a little harder to load us two old folks for riding two up, but once we get rolling....wow. Quite a machine. I look forward to learning a lot around here.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Dave, you might find it easier to cut the wires above (after) the connector so you can use it. Will leave plenty of wire length for a simple solder to the gps wiring.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Thanks to all...I will look at that link. I think I know what little white connector you are talking about. I can just cut off the white connector they use (as I probably can't find a mate up here on the coast) and use my own connectors so that its swappable later. Just wanted to touch base with someone who'd been there and done that as a reality check. Thanks again!
I did this on my 2016 Multi when I first got it.

The plastic crap protecting the wires is a bitch to get off, I ended up just cutting it( after trying to peel it) and heat shrinking tubes to connect the Ducati wires to my butchered Garmin cable wires.

I just bought an extra Garmin wiring harness rather than butcher the original in case I made a mistake.

This is what I did to the Garmin cable

·
Registered
366 Posts
Hi Dave: I did this a year ago. My 1200 Enduro had two connectors; a three pin with a plug installed for the handsfree gas cap and a two pin for GPS. There's another deeper down for aux lights. The two pin came with a plug already installed and a big blob of heat-shrink. As noted above, just be patient and careful and you will end up with two wires to work with. I have the Zumo 595LM which came with a massive power/sound/fuse/USB pigtail. Rather than cut off all the extra bits and limit future mods, I rolled the whole thing up except for the USB and tucked it away up over the headlight front left. The GPS fires up and charges with the bike. My only concern is using the USB and the GPS at the same time; the pigtail is made of significantly bigger gauge wiring than the little Ducati GPS connector. I only plan to run a phone on it and have yet to do so. Internet tells me an iPhone draws between 1A and 2A and I believe the GPS pulls 1A so a 3A total load should be OK; better be as that is the size of the in-line fuse!.

A very careful 3 minute job:

Rolled up and ready to be tucked away:

Honest, it's really all tucked away and can't be seen:

Except for this bit:

And of course this:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Dave, you might find it easier to cut the wires above (after) the connector so you can use it. Will leave plenty of wire length for a simple solder to the gps wiring.
Thanks Jeff...not sure I'm following you though?
Duh...I get it now. Is it the little two wire connector? And is it switched? (i.e. wired after the ignition?) I'm full of Questions: what's the large connector used for? The one with just a plug in it, and not a pigtailed connector attached?
Hi Dave: I did this a year ago. My 1200 Enduro had two connectors; a three pin with a plug installed for the handsfree gas cap and a two pin for GPS. There's another deeper down for aux lights. The two pin came with a plug already installed and a big blob of heat-shrink. As noted above, just be patient and careful and you will end up with two wires to work with. I have the Zumo 595LM which came with a massive power/sound/fuse/USB pigtail. Rather than cut off all the extra bits and limit future mods, I rolled the whole thing up except for the USB and tucked it away up over the headlight front left. The GPS fires up and charges with the bike. My only concern is using the USB and the GPS at the same time; the pigtail is made of significantly bigger gauge wiring than the little Ducati GPS connector. I only plan to run a phone on it and have yet to do so. Internet tells me an iPhone draws between 1A and 2A and I believe the GPS pulls 1A so a 3A total load should be OK; better be as that is the size of the in-line fuse!.

A very careful 3 minute job:
View attachment 1002648
Rolled up and ready to be tucked away:
View attachment 1002649
Honest, it's really all tucked away and can't be seen:
View attachment 1002650
Except for this bit:
View attachment 1002651
And of course this:
View attachment 1002652
Looks like that's sthe same connector I'm dealing with--that little white one. I've got it stripped and ready to take the Garmin wiring, but I'm not getting any power at that connector. Is it possible there is a delaer turn on of some kind needed to activate that connector? If so, is there a way I can do it?

·
Registered
439 Posts
It is the little white connector. It's wired to the ignition, so should go hot as soon as you turn on the bike.

·
Registered
439 Posts
Ok, you've got me stumped now. You checked to see which wire was hot before you connected the gps?

·
Registered
4 Posts
I bought the Urban Tank Bag with the 4 connection USB ports. Plugged it into the EU cig lighter, and ran the power from there to Garmin.

Easy peasy...

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, you've got me stumped now. You checked to see which wire was hot before you connected the gps?
I haven't connected the GPS...I just stripped the pigtail off the connection to expose bare wire, and I'm putting a multimeter on those wires.
I've heard some functions on the 2020 bikes have to be 'activated' by the dealer...I'm betting its a computer thing. I'm calling the dealer tomorrow to find out.
Thanks for your help. I'll post.
Have you checked your fuses?
I haven't: I looked and it doesn't seem that this connection is on a separate fuse...all other stuff appears to be operating. But, good thought. I'll look at them all today.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought the Urban Tank Bag with the 4 connection USB ports. Plugged it into the EU cig lighter, and ran the power from there to Garmin.

Easy peasy...
I have that tank bag as well. However, if there's an elegant work around, I don't want the line from the Garmin running into the bag or to be locked into always having the bag mounted. We'll see what';s going on after I talk with the dealer.

·
Registered
439 Posts
I just held the wires together and turned on the ignition to make sure I knew which ones to connect to. GPS turned itself on as soon as the bike did.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts