Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm having a terrible time getting the bike into neutral as I approach a stoplight. Now, I realize that this thing is not going to be as sloppy as my Bandit was, but still... I've tried coming to a complete stop in first, and then going up into neutral. I've tried coming to a complete stop in second, and then going down. I've tried going down from second to neutral before coming to a complete stop. It seems like the longer I ride it, the harder it becomes. At one extremely long light, I actually just hit the kill switch and left her in gear until the light changed, because my arm was getting too tired.

Is there something that I need to adjust, lubricate, or learn to do this right?

·
Super Moderator
8,215 Posts
Two things..

Do you have full "play" in your gearlever? It isn´t like.. Stopping you from getting first sometimes. It could be that the linkage is catching your swingarm. Look under the rearset where the linkage conncts to the actual lever and see if you have freeplay between the lever/linkage point and your swingarm

The other thing it could be is a misaligned gearfork in the case. easy for your dealer to fix, should not take more then maybe 1-2 hours. If you want to do it yourself, your going to need to yank the generator cover and check the alignment. Not something for beginner´s. Are you having problems with false neutrals between gears? is the gearbox feeling strange between 5-6th gear? Does the gearbox "click" or click-scratch when operating the gearlever when the bike is switched off?

It shouldn´t be a big thing.. probably just need adjusting.
Check the linkage first and get back to us. I hope it helps..

//amullo

·
Registered
85 Posts
Is the bike new? My new ST was like that for the first few hundred miles. Until you have completed break-in, try shifting into neutral while you're still moving. I could find neutral without a problem while I was coasting to a stop.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Check for the telltale notches of a worn clutch basket. These can cause the discs to drag, catch and not full release.

Just a thought.

·
Registered
403 Posts
My first thought was "clutch not fully disengaging" also. Could be notched clutch basket or flattened tangs on clutch plates preventing it from fully disengaging. Or could also be a problem with the hydraulic action not fully releasing - i.e. air in the clutch line, clutch slave issues, etc. Can you put it up on a *good, steady* rearstand and try in and out of neutral with the bike running? With the bike in gear but the clutch pulled in the rear wheel should have little to no movement. That is, it will probably turn a bit, but easy enough to stop simply by placing your hand on the tire. If the wheel turns quickly or with enough force that you actually have to slow it rather than simply stop it with one finger at will, it means pulling in your clutch lever is not fully disengaging the clutch itself. Then you can trouble shoot from there.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I sometimes have the same problem on my 748. I have to pull the clutch in to the grip to get it to go into neutral. Otherwise, it goes between 1st & 2nd. Then again, other times it goes right into neutral. I love Ducati's!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts