Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
...I'm done with riding distances and thousands of miles. Done with 1,000 mile days, riding in rain, snow and blistering heat. So done with people in cars and shitty road surfaces. Having to gear up and pack a variety of gear just to go off on the Ducati has gotten old. Been doing this since April of 1975 and it's not fun anymore. These days I'm cycling about 3-4 days a week for 50-100 miles, getting in shape, feeling really good and getting faster and stronger. Not easy to do at age 71 but I'm feeling like an athlete again. Back to the feeling of being a QB and SS in college. I have a 6.4 mi. TT (time trial) that I did at 17.4 mph last year. This year (actually yesterday) I did it at 18.4 mph. So, these days the Supersport comes out to go to Corleone's for a beer. It's all good.

·
Premium Member
1,952 Posts
One of the reasons I got into cycling (road and mountain) and moto riding was that I could do them in less than a couple hours, sometimes just for 1 hour.

Also the reason I got out of activities like golf and skiing...those took all day.

Friend tried to get me into downhill mountain biking and while I like it, I doubt it's something I'd do often b/c of the time commitment.

Anyway, welcome to the short duration moto club!

·
Registered
63 Posts
Hey Bruce,

Like Chuck said, get a little bike and just have fun riding around back country roads. I'm not very far from you, come up and take my little Z125 for a spin. It's a whole different experience from riding a big bike. It's a bit like riding a mountain bike that doesn't require any peddling and can go 67 mph. :D

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've thought about a different bike. But, it would be really hard for me to give up the SS1000DS. It's just such a great all-around bike. And, I do feel like I'm a Ducati guy, whatever that means. I think it's something about being Italian. I don't know. I'll have to think about this. If I do sell it, someone will be getting one hell of a bike.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
One of the reasons I got into cycling (road and mountain) and moto riding was that I could do them in less than a couple hours, sometimes just for 1 hour.

Also the reason I got out of activities like golf and skiing...those took all day.

Friend tried to get me into downhill mountain biking and while I like it, I doubt it's something I'd do often b/c of the time commitment.

Anyway, welcome to the short duration moto club!
Re: cycling.....I've been doing about 100 mi./wk with a Metric Century every couple weeks until this year. I just got tired of giving up an entire Saturday to riding and recovery. Now I'm doing 30-50 mi. rides at a max. and it's more fun.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
...I'm done with riding distances and thousands of miles. Done with 1,000 mile days, riding in rain, snow and blistering heat. So done with people in cars and shitty road surfaces. Having to gear up and pack a variety of gear just to go off on the Ducati has gotten old. Been doing this since April of 1975 and it's not fun anymore. These days I'm cycling about 3-4 days a week for 50-100 miles, getting in shape, feeling really good and getting faster and stronger. Not easy to do at age 71 but I'm feeling like an athlete again. Back to the feeling of being a QB and SS in college. I have a 6.4 mi. TT (time trial) that I did at 17.4 mph last year. This year (actually yesterday) I did it at 18.4 mph. So, these days the Supersport comes out to go to Corleone's for a beer. It's all good.
Wow you're having your mid-life crisis at 71? Cheers!

I understand though. I was a heavy duty tourer, averaging 20k miles/yr of touring per year! The last one I went on it just wasn't fun anymore. It became repetitive. The last one was more than 1yr ago. I've gotten into different things that I truly enjoy but it bothers me that I don't enjoy (now at least) what I LOVED just a few yrs ago. It's really strange.

I feel the touring itch again, but once in a while and only when I see pics of others on trips. When I do I will hop back on the bike but not until I absolutely feel I must go.

One thing I will try is to diversify my touring; Go camping; stay 1 day off the bike and hike/swim etc, visit a nudist colony maybe?!?

·
Administrator
12,911 Posts
Or make your own. Freedom is going nude in the UT desert! Or, that's what I was told.

There may be a photo of this....

somewhere :surprise:

Reactions: Varmitcong

·
Average Weird Guy.
1,310 Posts
Avid cyclist myself Bruce,primary bike is a 2004 Specialized E5 Aerotec. Pedal 4-5 days a week,used to do those 2-3 hour rides but found after awhile that they just weren't any fun anymore and sorta became ordeals. These days I do 25 mile rides head down hands on the drops as fast as I can go on the day.

I reserve my motorcycling for the weekends exclusively but for the last few years since I switched over from upright style bicycles to road bikes I find myself more and more skipping my motorcycle riding and hopping on my bicycle. Still do love my motorcycling,perpetually in search of the perfect corner,but to be honest it isn't as important to me as it once was. Willing to bet that flame will be rekindled once I get my SS back up and running again though.

BTW - 18.4 is good pace but you've got work to do Bruce. On January 4 2017 French cyclist Robert Marchand set the new world record for the 1 hour indoor track cycling category. He posted a distance of 22.547 kilometers (14.010 miles) at an average speed of 14.010 mph and received a standing ovation from the crowd for his remarkable feat of endurance.

At first glance that doesn't seem like much until you take into account that Robert Marchand was 105 years old when he set that new world record. After the event he said he could've gone even faster but he missed the 10 minutes to go warning signal and now he's waiting for a rival to step up and challenge him. So keep on pedaling my friend,Robert's waiting.

Attachments

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
.............visit a nudist colony maybe?!?
After I retired, I worked for a Yamaha/Suzuki dealer where my son was the Service Mgr. I was driving a truck picking up and dropping off bikes. Once had to deliver a quad to a local nudist camp. And, yes, they were naked.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, from age 70 to 71 I've gained 1 mph. So, by 105 I should be pushing 40 mph or so. :)

My Masi backup bike to my Guru. It was a present from my GF on my 60th birthday.

Attachments

·
Registered
234 Posts
My DUC is a hobby, not a transportation vehicle. I take it out for shorter rides to have fun.

If I used it as a daily transporter, rode many hundred miles, in all weather...forget it, it is a hobby, I take my car for normal everyday transportation, and it is safer.

·
Registered
389 Posts
If you are looking for a scoot around town and want to stay Italian, I say scoop up a Hyper 1100! It has been my perfect Anything within an hour or two bike and it makes me giggle every time I ride it. It is almost like it wants to do wheelies and I'm the one who has to tell it otherwise.

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm thinking my SS1000DS is going to stay. It's paid for. It is fine around town and great for my once a year 3-day weekend to VT to do some camping. If I was going to sell it I'd want my 998 back or maybe a 749 to just "profile" around town. But, then I ask myself, "why?"

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
Somehow, cycling doesn't get me excited. Maybe I have done too much of it (to get from A to B and back)? But love to run - for many years already, I run more often and longer (time-wise) than I ride my motorcycles. Great stress-relieve, keeps me sane and is good exercise too. If only my body could take the abuse of running 4 hours daily ..... I'd be a very happy man.

Going through a rough period in our lives (wife has terminal cancer) and only when I'm out running, the enormity of it all doesn't consume me completely. Heck, it all fades and I'm even reasonably happy during my runs. I guess there's a reason why endorphins are called a "happy drug".
Never been a great sleeper and now even less. During these waking hours, I face my demons and more than once did I get up in the middle of the night, put on my running gear and go out for 1 - 2 hours. After that, I would be able to sleep a few hours.

Apologies for digressing and thanks for "listening".

·
Registered
8,545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Somehow, cycling doesn't get me excited. Maybe I have done too much of it (to get from A to B and back)? But love to run - for many years already, I run more often and longer (time-wise) than I ride my motorcycles. Great stress-relieve, keeps me sane and is good exercise too. If only my body could take the abuse of running 4 hours daily ..... I'd be a very happy man.

Going through a rough period in our lives (wife has terminal cancer) and only when I'm out running, the enormity of it all doesn't consume me completely. Heck, it all fades and I'm even reasonably happy during my runs. I guess there's a reason why endorphins are called a "happy drug".
Never been a great sleeper and now even less. During these waking hours, I face my demons and more than once did I get up in the middle of the night, put on my running gear and go out for 1 - 2 hours. After that, I would be able to sleep a few hours.

Apologies for digressing and thanks for "listening".
So sorry to hear of your wife's illness. I have two friends who have had cancer recently. Both have managed to improve over the past year. My ex OTOH, was diagnosed and died within 5 weeks. Those of us who continue to try to support our friends and loved ones have to do whatever we can to replenish our energy and be there for them to our best ability. Positive thoughts sent your way.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts