Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2016 Monster 1200R w/5K miles.

Bolted on a Termi slip-on muffler, took it to the Dealer to have them reflash the ECU using the included Ducati upmap key.

Bike now suffers from intermittent hard starts, and will occasionally completely die while under power.

Can anyone offer any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
Slip ons shouldn’t have any impact like that. You said you got a slip on. Does the slip on even come with a reflash? I thought it was only the full system. Maybe that has changed though. That being said, I would look to the reflash first. If you had the dealer flash the ecu then they should be the ones to check it out. Obviously if your bike exhibited no symptoms prior to the ecu flash and now it does that’s what I would look to. The slip on is just a different muffler that moves more air essentially; that’s it. At most, maybe it affects your fuel to air ratios a bit (e.g, popping on decel), but definitely shouldn’t make your bike run rough. Maybe the dealer needs to flash it again or something. Is it a reliable dealer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
85 Posts
Also, I don’t know about the rough starts but as far as intermittent cutting out a lot of folks have had their TPS fail, myself included and it exhibited a sudden loss of power like that. Maybe the flash brought that to the surface? that’s my two cents. Good luck and I would ride it straight back to the dealer like “fix this now please” lol.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Also, I don’t know about the rough starts but as far as intermittent cutting out a lot of folks have had their TPS fail, myself included and it exhibited a sudden loss of power like that. Maybe the flash brought that to the surface? that’s my two cents. Good luck and I would ride it straight back to the dealer like “fix this now please” lol.

Did that. The dealer re-flashed it a second time. Problem still persists.

Suggestions?

Thanks

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Additionally, although I can't be certain at this time as I haven't had the new Termi/upmap very long, I'd swear that the bike is now less snappy and responsive with the new upmap.

·
Registered
3,531 Posts
I suggested this to the Dealer today, but they claimed that once the bike is flashed with the upmap is cannot be 'un-flashed' back to the stock map.
i'd have thought they'd be able to "update" the ecu file in a normal service procedure way to whatever is the current update version of the particular bike file, but i don't work in a dealership so don't actually know these days. maybe the upmap has something in it's code or comms that tells the tool to not write over it.

sounds like a clustercuss not allowing you to go back. i think bmw were the same with their updates. they tend to treat the techs as brainless morons not to be trusted.

·
Registered
85 Posts
I suggested this to the Dealer today, but they claimed that once the bike is flashed with the upmap is cannot be 'un-flashed' back to the stock map.

That is false. They can load the stock map back on it from what I always understood. I had a full term on a 2014 Monster s and I had the original map loaded back. The module you plug in to provide the update stores the original map on it so they can swap it back. I’m not a dealer or anything but I highly doubt they changed anything with the 2016’s. Why don’t you call another dealer to verify these statements.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That is false. They can load the stock map back on it from what I always understood. I had a full term on a 2014 Monster s and I had the original map loaded back. The module you plug in to provide the update stores the original map on it so they can swap it back. I’m not a dealer or anything but I highly doubt they changed anything with the 2016’s. Why don’t you call another dealer to verify these statements.

You're probably correct.

Just curious, why did you reflash the bike with the stock map after putting on a full Termi?

Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
You're probably correct.

Just curious, why did you reflash the bike with the stock map after putting on a full Termi?

Thanks

Oops, I left that part out. I sold my 14’ 1200s and took the full termi off it to part out. That’s why I restored the stock map (to go with stock exhaust). I now have a 16’ 1200r like you. I have a slip on with the stock map on there.

·
Registered
135 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Oops, I left that part out. I sold my 14’ 1200s and took the full termi off it to part out. That’s why I restored the stock map (to go with stock exhaust). I now have a 16’ 1200r like you. I have a slip on with the stock map on there.

You find that the stock map is OK to use with the slip-on?

Thanks

·
Registered
85 Posts
Yup. I’ve been using it for a year or so and have had zero issues. My mechanic has told me it’s fine too. I don’t really know what the upmap does for these. As I understand it, you only need it with a full exhaust. The difference between the 1200s and r though is that the exhaust diameter on the r is the same size as my full termi was. The diameter on the stock exhaust for the s was smaller. That’s why I only put on a slip on.

With the previous gen, the upmap would raise your redline and other things. This gen doesn’t need that though. Not trying to discourage your purchase but just telling you I’m not exactly sure what the upmap changes. The only thing I can think is that it changes the fuel to air ratio but I don’t experience popping on decel really so it doesn’t appear to be an issue. Do you know what al the upmap does?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts