Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just picked up a 2009 Monster 1100. Only 6000 miles. Has a dubious service record, so I have done all the usual, belt changes, oil change, new tires, etc. As far as I know engine is stock except for Arrow slip-ons. It has a cold starting issue. Will not start unless I give it a bit of throttle when cranking, and about half of the time won't start at all. When the engine gets warmed up it starts fine. I have owned numerous Jap bikes, but this is my first Ducati and I don't have a clue what it's problem is. Anybody got any suggestions where to start with diagnosing this problem? Nearest Ducati dealer to me is 3 hours. Help!

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
quite a lot of the 1100 engines lose the opening clearance on the exhaust valves ime, so i'd check the clearances.

aside from that, i had one that was a chronic crap starter when cold - it'd crank and crank and crank, but not fire. i flashed the ecu with a lambda disabled version of the original file and it was fine after that.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ok, thanks belter. Valve adjustment will be due soon anyway, so I'll be doing that as soon as I study up on the procedure and get enough patience to take the tank fairings off again. As far as reflashing, is that possible without buying thousands of dollars of ducati special tools? Or maybe a power commander?

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
there is no ducati tool for reflashing the ecu with a non ducati file. a power commander is an add on box that does nothing to the ecu file.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
So...how did you flash the ecu with with a lambda disabled version of the original file ??

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
send it to someone who does ecu reflashing, commonly with the rexxer tool or others depending on who it is. don't think there's a free tool for flashing the conti ecu.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I found a solution to the problem. Found it on ducatimonster.org I think. I've read so many posts trying to find a fix I forget for sure where I saw it. Anyway, if anyone else has this problem, this is what works for my bike. Turn on key, wait for fuel pump to make it's priming sound, then hit the engine kill button on handlebar, then hit the start button again. Fuel pump will prime again for as long as the start button is held down. I use 2-3 seconds. Then put kill button back to run and hit start button. My bike starts every time when I do this and settles down into a smooth idle, something it has never done for me. Strange....but if it works, I'm happy!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Well, I found a solution to the problem. Found it on ducatimonster.org I think. I've read so many posts trying to find a fix I forget for sure where I saw it. Anyway, if anyone else has this problem, this is what works for my bike. Turn on key, wait for fuel pump to make it's priming sound, then hit the engine kill button on handlebar, then hit the start button again. Fuel pump will prime again for as long as the start button is held down. I use 2-3 seconds. Then put kill button back to run and hit start button. My bike starts every time when I do this and settles down into a smooth idle, something it has never done for me. Strange....but if it works, I'm happy!
So your solution, is to get more fuel to start it... Then obviously there has to be a problem in the fuel lines. Maybe your fuel line is clogged up? Maybe kinked somewhere? Or your fuel pump is tired?

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Oh yeah, got to be a problem somewhere. I'm probing around for it. In the meantime I'm just glad the thing will start so I can ride it some......

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
sometimes they can take a lot longer than expected to get fuel pressure. does the pump run every time you turn the key on, even after a short time / cycling? i don't have one at hand to try.

·
Registered
M1100 2010
2 Posts
Hello, just registered because i'm facing the exact same problem since a while !

Is this trick still working ? Did you try something else to solve the basic problem ?

Thanks !

·
Registered
18 Posts
I have this problem. New to me 2010 M1100 with <4000miles
My initial symptom: key in, let the pump prime, hit starter no start
What makes it start almost every single time the next time I hit the starter: turn it off, open gas cap (only one key), close gas cap, key in, prime, hit starter it starts.

Read on one of the other forums that replacing the emissions garbage fixed theirs that had this exact issue. I just removed all that and swapped in the non-US parts and still have the problem... but less frequently.

I've also tried on/off/on cycling to get the pump to prime 3 to 5 times and it still has the problem. My next step is to get a tuneboy and see what that does :p

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I wish I had a solution for this problem for you guys. I've still got it after 2 years. The extra fuel pump priming trick doesn't work anymore. Since my original post I've had the ecu reflashed by rexxer (deleted oxygen sensors and exhaust valve), put heavier gauge starter cables on, new lithium battery, adjusted valves, and probably a few more things I can't remember. Nothing has helped. I actually haul a can of starting fluid around with me for when it absolutely refuses to start. AHKS, if you go the tuneboy route please post your results, I'd be interested.

·
Registered
3,667 Posts
a prodcedure i've given to a few customers is to turn the key on, wait for the pump to stop, turn off, repeat a couple of times. then crack it for maybe 5 seconds if it doesn't fire. then turn it off and come back after a minute and try again.

i think the residual fuel from the first attempt combines with the fuel of the second and that lights them up. i don't like it as a procedure because there should be absolutely no need for it, but if it works reliably then it's a step in the right direction.

i've not got far enough into the conti ecu to find the start up table. in the marelli 5am we would add 10 - 15% to the initial cranking fuel and they'd repeatedly fire straight up cold where they wouldn't before.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've had success with that procedure too, belter. If it doesn't start on first attempt I just go off and leave it. 5 minutes seems to be about the sweet spot for my bike. If it doesn't start then it's time to abuse the bitch with some starting fluid.

·
Registered
217 Posts
i've not got far enough into the conti ecu to find the start up table. in the marelli 5am we would add 10 - 15% to the initial cranking fuel and they'd repeatedly fire straight up cold where they wouldn't before.
Are edited maps like this available to download from anywhere?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts