Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Smut peddler
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So here's the rub. 1100 dualspark (09multi if that means anything). Starting like shit. It's getting fuel, but at start up, only the horizontal cylinder is getting spark. The vertical plugs don't get spark until it starts running. I would think a coil would either work or not work, but maybe not. Gonna start by swapping coils, but would appreciate any info. Thanks bromos.

·
Premium Member
1,388 Posts
Start with dumbshit like sparkplugs, caps, wires..........

Unlikely its ECU as it runs when started but.............

Check connections at coils and ecu. Possibly corroded?

·
Smut peddler
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Swapped coils/wires, same result. Kinda stumped. The pickup coil would either be good or bad, no?don't understand how only one cylinder can do this on startup only?

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
If it were a triumph I'd say Crank position sensor. You may want want to check that and the flywheel as mentioned by duczilla above.

t_bare

·
Smut peddler
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks. I haven't got myself to believe it's the sensor, because its getting spark when running, but it never hurts to check. How would you check that? The sensor has the same pickup for both cylinders, yes?

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just found a similar topic on the Monster Forum here.

Ignition issues, Monster 600 - timing pickup & ignition coils

Perhaps it is similar to yours i.e. a cracked or bad pickup coil. If everything else tests normal, that would appear to be the next area to check...and while you are in the crankcase cover, check the starter sprag and flywheel. I don't remember the correct "air" gap on the pickup coils but someone on here must have the spec.

Good luck.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Did you swap the plugs between cylinders? Does the not sparking while cranking stay with that pair of plugs?

·
Smut peddler
959 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Did you swap the plugs between cylinders? Does the not sparking while cranking stay with that pair of plugs?
I've done it with every combination you can think of. Swapped wires, plugs, coils. All to the same result. Erratic spark on the vertical cylinder until it fires. When I get back from vacation, gonna tear apart the left side to see what it looks like around the flywheel, etc.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts