Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 02' ST4S and in the past three rides or so it is getting harder to half shift in to neutral. I did a search here and found it could be related to a couple of culprits. One possibility is time for a clutch fluid change, that water may have collected in the fluid causing pour action. The other is the pilot bearing is seizing up (read related post: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=6746 )

Any input on these or other any other suggestions/possibilities

Thanks

·
Still lurking about. . .
332 Posts
grinder96 said:
I have a 02' ST4S and in the past three rides or so it is getting harder to half shift in to neutral. I did a search here and found it could be related to a couple of culprits. One possibility is time for a clutch fluid change, that water may have collected in the fluid causing pour action. The other is the pilot bearing is seizing up (read related post: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=6746 )

Any input on these or other any other suggestions/possibilities

Thanks
How many miles? I would also check the slave cylinder to see if it is leaking or not.

- john

·
Registered
403 Posts
Have you attempted to turn the screw on the clutch lever? The screw that may be hidden by a dab of hot melt?

When I see that someone is having a hard time finding neutral, that is something that I have mentioned. Caution, do not wildly turn it many many turns as you will loose clutch action. I mean ADJUST it by 1/4 turn increments.

It is worth a try. I see that your machine has worked fine until more recently.

·
Registered
319 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Duc4S said:
How many miles? I would also check the slave cylinder to see if it is leaking or not.

- john
17,500 miles. I have to do some maintenance prior to my run to laguna seca in a month part of my inspection is the slave cylinder for leaks. Probably a good place to start

dharhay said:
Have you attempted to turn the screw on the clutch lever? The screw that may be hidden by a dab of hot melt?
I have not, would this be an adjustment to accommodate the wearing of the clutch? why do they hide it under a dap of metal?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Clutch tip

grinder96 said:
I have a 02' ST4S and in the past three rides or so it is getting harder to half shift in to neutral..........
This works ... click into neutral just BEFORE you roll to a stop. Works like a charm, but as always, keep an eye on the mirrors.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have also experienced this symptom some time ago. I removed the clutch plates, gave everything a good blow with air to get rid of the dust, checked the push rod etc was clean and bearings were ok. Did nothing else - put it all back together and sure enough problem solved - slots into neutral with out hesitation every time.

hope this helps

·
Registered
97 Posts
I read this post yesterday and had already planned to bleed my system today. well I bled it a little(did get a little bubble out) then noticed the adjustment screw that Dharhay was talking about. looked like it had 'hot glue' in the slot. I scraped that out and adjusted it. like you I was also having a hard time finding neutral and the clutch lever if you moved it 1/4 inch off the bar the bike was moving. I am used to keeping my pinky and ring finger on the grip and using my middle and index fingers to pull the clutch in to shift and such, but I was getting no clutch action unless I pulled it in farther than that. I ended up moving that screw in 2 full turns(it would only go 2.5 at the most anyway) to start with and what a difference it made. clutch feel like I think it should now and i can find neutral and shift without comming all the way to the bar with the lever. I do still have free play at the end as well. i've only had the bike since memorial day and I think the clutch action was my biggest issue with the bike....well other than the rediculously short shifter!!

BTW I already have an aftermarket slave cylinder. next i'm going to remove the clutch cover and remove any clutch dust from there....and of course gonna run it without the cover for a minute to see how loud it is.....curiosity ya know!!

·
Registered
76 Posts
I was having more difficulty finding neutral after an oil change. It did not seem to happen immediately after the oil change but seemed to build up slowly.

The only thing I changed was the amount of oil. Instead of 2/3 to upper max line and I went exactly to it.

So, I bled about 100-150cc from the filler opening with a hose, mouth suction and height differential. Let it drip bleed.

Now, it's back to normal. If normal is the occasional false neutral between 5/6. That difference seems to need a firmer shift as I am normally a light shifter.

I have been thinking about the Factory Pro kit available on Desmo Times site, since he provides detailed photographic directions.

Anyone try this on the ST3s?

·
Registered
76 Posts
Been around 100 miles since I lowered the oil level to down to 2/3 of max height line, but I am not so certain now that the neutral is any easier to find. I can find neutral but not as easy pre-WCM, but will look at clutch lever adjustment next.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts