Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Harbor Freight has their 1000 LB. capacity Motorcycle Lift on sale.

$279.99 with coupon from the January issue of Cycle World good through 4/1/10.

Or if your too cheap to buy the mag, you can print out via their web link but this coupon is only good through 2/20/10.

These are "in store" sales only.

They are listing the retail price as $399.00

I have a buddy with one of these he uses in his shop almost every day and he thinks for the money its a good deal. The front wheel clamp is lousy but you can work around that problem. I am planning on getting one soon and putting one of my Sport Chocks on it.

Disclaimer: I have NO affiliation with Harbor Freight whatsoever.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
So your friend thinks it's ok? It's not wobbly or anything? I've got one of those coupons and have been thinking about getting one. The price sure is better than a Handy or Panther lift.

Debby

·
Premium Member
3,120 Posts
The only way I could justify buying a lift like that would be to actually work on my motorcycle. :eek:

·
Registered
483 Posts
I'd like to hear from others who have used that lift..

I've got dibs on a lightly used one of these locally for $700. It's what most of the cycle shops in the area use and I'd rather spend a little more and get something that's going to last and be nice to use.. but sometimes saving money is the smart thing to do.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Looks like a great deal on the Harbor Freight lift.

FYI, I have a couple of Eagle Lifts, which are almost a carbon copy of the Handy lift and include the wheel chock, and at 600 bucks (+shipping), they're excellent lifts...

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
^ These things are heavy, shipping can be expen$ive.

I've used the Harbor Freight 1000lb. lift for a year and like it alot. Yes, the front wheel clamp could be better but it does the job. Bolt a couple pieces of wood to the existing clamp for a steadier bike. It comes with a ramp and rear wheel drop out plate. It's easy to push the bike up onto the lift. The paint can be slippery but is surprisingly durable. The lift is hydraulic and pneumatic if you have a compressor. It is steady and heavy.

Compared to what other lifts cost this is a bargain when accessibility and convenience are counted. I combined a coupon with an in-store sale (20% off any one item) and got mine for $245 last year. :)

P

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So your friend thinks it's ok? It's not wobbly or anything? I've got one of those coupons and have been thinking about getting one. The price sure is better than a Handy or Panther lift.

Debby
I am trying to remember just how many bike lifts my buddy Bob has in his shop (WheelSmith Cycle in Independence Oregon). I think he has at least 4 of this type of lift and one is this Harbor Freight model. No complaints about stability. Also once you get the bike at the height you want you can lock it in place within the range of the locking notches.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I purchased a lift from them, is not the 1,000lb but is the 1,200lb capacity, is different the way it lifts from the 1,000 but is built like a brick shithouse, highly raccomend it, all diamond plate steel, no cheap crap, I also got the 2 extension wings, good to service quads and mowers, the one I have is on sale now for $460 and the shipping is based on 1 order, that means they charged me $75.00 for overweight shipping on a single order even if the wings came later and they are heavy a well, it looks like the one AZScott pictured, just all red.
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94813

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I don't have one myself (I just have the Craftsman Motorcycle Jack), but I know about a dozen people who have them and they are all completely satisfied. Yeah, the wheel chock is kinda crappy, but you should NEVER rely strictly on one of those anyway. I've known people who've lost bikes off much more expensive lifts because they didn't have them strapped down. Once the bike is tied down, the lift is fine.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Hey 1duckyboy, can you fit both a front and a rear stand on the lift? I've been looking at the same lift but when I measure the length I need to use both my front and rear pitbull stands it's 86 1/2" which is the stated length of the Harbor Freight lift, not much room to play. Any comments appreciated, thanx.

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I used a scissor jack under the motor when removing the front forks. Didn't try to use the stands - DUH.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
I picked up mine on sale new years day couple years ago for less than 200. I have no complaints. If you want a better front clamp, you can buy upgrades from other makers on the web for 40-50 bucks. I just strap mine down and no issues.

·
Registered
132 Posts
I agree with Brunchwood...It's definately worth the money. I paid 249.00 but you will need the aftermarket clamps. I found a used set on E-bay for $30.00

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94121

I've got this one. Bought it for $379 a couple years ago and couldn't be happier with it. Much better wheel chock on this one than the other one. If I had it to do over again I would wait for this one to go on sale because the chock is way better. This one also has the pneumatic pump so you can let your air compressor do the lifting if so inclined. I've used that a couple times but I usually just use the foot pedal cause it is faster than waiting for my compressor to fill up.

By the way PAKBIKES, or should I say BLACKBIRDXX!!! (Insert dramatic DUH, DUH, DUH!!! sound here :D) Here is a link to the same sale from a couple years back that persuaded me to buy mine with a couple friends of mine. We certainly have gotten a lot of use out of it.

http://www.ducati.ms/forums/showthread.php?t=17130

For those of you that are thinking about getting one of these check out that thread and you'll see some pics of Chauncy's bike on the first one and mine on the one I bought. I tried to show it from different angles, heights and one shows the pneumatic attachment.

Hope this helps someone here.:think:

PS- I don't really have a need for one of these but some of you might and it looks pretty cool. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=99900

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=94121

I've got this one. Bought it for $379 a couple years ago and couldn't be happier with it. Much better wheel chock on this one than the other one. If I had it to do over again I would wait for this one to go on sale because the chock is way better. This one also has the pneumatic pump so you can let your air compressor do the lifting if so inclined. I've used that a couple times but I usually just use the foot pedal cause it is faster than waiting for my compressor to fill up.
I've been considering that one also. I have a 20 percent discount coupon, which makes the price about $350, about $70 more than the base model.

How much air capacity (SCFM) do you need to run the lift up? I haven't been able to get an answer on that yet. They just say "90 psi of shop air", whatever that means... :alien:

(I need to buy a new compressor too. My baby compressor burned out.)

Debby

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
+1 I have the same one as BISHOP-BUCK. Never needed to modify/change the clamp. It's all good.

·
Premium Member
2,241 Posts
I've been considering that one also. I have a 20 percent discount coupon, which makes the price about $350, about $70 more than the base model.

How much air capacity (SCFM) do you need to run the lift up? I haven't been able to get an answer on that yet. They just say "90 psi of shop air", whatever that means... :alien:

(I need to buy a new compressor too. My baby compressor burned out.)

Debby
Its definitely worth the extra money to me. As for compressor size, mine is a 12 gallon by Craftsman.
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...Compressors+&+Air+Tools&sName=Air+Compressors
It is fine for what I need but I think if I had to do it over I would go for a larger one like either the 20 or 26 gallon one.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_...Compressors+&+Air+Tools&sName=Air+Compressors

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_00916770000P?mv=rr

Mine is more than enough for the lift though if that helps. The smaller you get the more it is going to have to refill while in use.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Track Stands on the Lift

Hey 1duckyboy, can you fit both a front and a rear stand on the lift? I've been looking at the same lift but when I measure the length I need to use both my front and rear pitbull stands it's 86 1/2" which is the stated length of the Harbor Freight lift, not much room to play. Any comments appreciated, thanx.
Hey VikingDave - I used to have a Handy Lift that I think is/was the same length as the Harbor Freight lift, and I was able to use the rear stand (Pitbull) only if the ramp was on the lift, AND I had to lift the ramp up flush (flat, level) with the floor of the lift, get the Pitbull under the bike, then I could raise the lift. All in all it was a bit dicey but do-able (barely).

There is not enough length for a front and rear trackstand to be used simultaneously

·
Registered
84 Posts
Thanks Primo, That's what I thought. I'm gonna have a look, a new Harbor Freight opened near me recently.

·
Registered
714 Posts
I had a "big red" rear stand from northern from another bike that works on my GT with a little modification,some of their stuff is allright.I also got the folding trailer from them,and thats great,had two bikes on that thing and no issues.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts