Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 40 of 47 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I have a non S, ordered it that way. Less weight and less prone to failure. Manual suspension is simple and does not fail. I upgraded mine and I have full TTX Ohlins manual suspension front and rear. The stock suspension was very good when set up. The Ohlins is GREAT, but I am not really good enough to exploit it anyway. But once set correctly the only time I change suspension settings is if I have a passenger, and then I only bump the preload a bit. Luckily my wife rides her own bikes, so I do not often take passengers. For what it is worth, I rarely switch riding modes, I programmed them all to high output on power and sensitivity and use it for traction control settings only, (1 allowing a great bit of sliding, another almost none which I use for really slippery rain riding). I do not need those bells and whistles, I want to ride.

Reactions: newtoDucatiGA

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
I have a non S, ordered it that way. Less weight and less prone to failure. Manual suspension is simple and does not fail. I upgraded mine and I have full TTX Ohlins manual suspension front and rear. The stock suspension was very good when set up. The Ohlins is GREAT, but I am not really good enough to exploit it anyway. But once set correctly the only time I change suspension settings is if I have a passenger, and then I only bump the preload a bit. Luckily my wife rides her own bikes, so I do not often take passengers. For what it is worth, I rarely switch riding modes, I programmed them all to high output on power and sensitivity and use it for traction control settings only, (1 allowing a great bit of sliding, another almost none which I use for really slippery rain riding). I do not need those bells and whistles, I want to ride.
How much was the Ohlins upgrade? And if you do want to tweek the suspension how do you do it is there a special tool??

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
I do not recall the exact cost, but I think the rear was around $1500 and the front cartridges were around $1000. They are really nice, but unless you push incredibly hard on the street, the stock suspension is fine. As far as tweeking your suspension, no special tools are needed. The first thing is to set you preload based upon the sag on your bike. Depending on your weight you might need heavier springs, if you can not get the correct sag....that is the most difficult part of manual suspension. After that it’s twirling a screw driver for compression and rebound dampening . If you check out a suspension site like racetech or the like, they will explain in detail how to set your manual suspension. You’ll learn a lot and get a much better feel for your bike as you learn and experiment with the settings.

Reactions: newtoDucatiGA

·
Registered
138 Posts
I have a 2011 non-S. Maybe I would notice the difference If I A-B'd them back to back, but having only ever ridden the non-S version, I don't find the suspension lacking at all. I adjust the rear every time my wife rides with me (takes all of 15 seconds with the remote adjuster). I'm not much of a suspension tinkerer though so ymmv... I personally wouldn't pay extra for only the electronic suspension, maybe if it was an add on as I wanted some other fancy features, but for suspension alone? nah.

·
Premium Member
4,047 Posts
All are good options, the right choice depends entirely on how you ride. I have the 15S (now with 70,000 miles)... for mixed use IMO Skyhook is alone worth the cost difference (if you only ride one way you may not care... but I switch between touring, sport riding, and even the occasional light dirt riding... it's awesome for folks like me).

S also has LED headlights with Corning lights, color TFT dash and the Ducati bluetooth system (which I found to be useless). It does weigh 6lbs more than the non-S. Most of this stuff is not on any of the pre-15 1200's... and some of it may be on the post 15 non-S (not sure if they changed the S/non-S options over time). Compared to the non-DVT 1200's (pre-15) the newer models have the IMU which again is IMO worth the price difference...but they're also heavier and don't really have any more power (though the motor is smoother). If it's all about performance the pre-DVT 1200's are the slightly better option (though IMO if it's all about performance you buy a sportbike or supernaked not a Multi) but you give up somewhat on the safety/touring chops end IMO.

·
Registered
316 Posts
I have 2010 PP and it has the electronic Ohlins ...The previous owner also had the Ohlins Electronic suspension module installed that makes it a semi active suspension. Its pretty trick and the change from 1 up sport mode to 2 up touring is pretty noticable, FWIW I had a base model 1098 and didnt feel it lacking.

I too have a Road King and comparison wise its like a tractor compared to a Ferarri ... you wont notice the non S factor one bit.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
All are good options, the right choice depends entirely on how you ride. I have the 15S (now with 70,000 miles)... for mixed use IMO Skyhook is alone worth the cost difference (if you only ride one way you may not care... but I switch between touring, sport riding, and even the occasional light dirt riding... it's awesome for folks like me).

S also has LED headlights with Corning lights, color TFT dash and the Ducati bluetooth system (which I found to be useless). It does weigh 6lbs more than the non-S. Most of this stuff is not on any of the pre-15 1200's... and some of it may be on the post 15 non-S (not sure if they changed the S/non-S options over time). Compared to the non-DVT 1200's (pre-15) the newer models have the IMU which again is IMO worth the price difference...but they're also heavier and don't really have any more power (though the motor is smoother). If it's all about performance the pre-DVT 1200's are the slightly better option (though IMO if it's all about performance you buy a sportbike or supernaked not a Multi) but you give up somewhat on the safety/touring chops end IMO.
70k miles wow. I ride my bikes pretty hard I will prob go with the S. another question is do I need a 2013 or newer. I found a clean 2011 1200s. is it better to get a 2013 -15

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I have 2010 PP and it has the electronic Ohlins ...The previous owner also had the Ohlins Electronic suspension module installed that makes it a semi active suspension. Its pretty trick and the change from 1 up sport mode to 2 up touring is pretty noticable, FWIW I had a base model 1098 and didnt feel it lacking.

I too have a Road King and comparison wise its like a tractor compared to a Ferarri ... you wont notice the non S factor one bit.
can you tell me if this bike has the Ohlins suspension. And also its a 2011 is that a big deal vs the 2013?.

2011 Ducati Multistrada 1200 S Touring | RC Hill Honda Powersports

·
Premium Member
4,047 Posts
70k miles wow. I ride my bikes pretty hard I will prob go with the S. another question is do I need a 2013 or newer. I found a clean 2011 1200s. is it better to get a 2013 -15
2010-2014 are all the same gen I believe. There are some minor differences and some not so minor ones that might steer you one way or another (I'd be looking for Ohlins for instance). Earlier years had some issues with swelling gas tanks that you might want to check before buying. (and guys who own them would likely have more 'look for' suggestions)

2015-2017 are basically identical... there are no common problems that I'd warn you about for those bikes. Just make sure all the recall and update items have been done by the dealer.

IMO I tend to be more interested in the bikes features, reported problems for that year, mileage and maintenance history of the bike for used rather than going for 'newer model year' automatically.

for any of the bikes you're looking at it'll be important to know when the last desmo service was performed.

·
Sophomore Member
2,964 Posts
2010-2012 were the same. They had the single spark 11 degree testastretta motor. The S versions had electronic Ohlins which is super sweet. Base has manual suspension that is fine, but nothing special.

2013-2014 were the same. They had the dual spark 11 degree testastretta motor. It’s nearly the same as the single spark- slightly slightly smoother at low revs. The S versions had Skyhook electronic suspension. Good- but now as good as the Ohlins electronic. Base has manual suspension that is good but nothing special

2015-2017 were the same. They had the 1200cc DVT motor. The S versions had Skyhook electronic suspension. Base has manual suspension.

2018-current are the same. They have the 1260 DVT motor. S versions have skyhook electronic suspension. Base have manual suspension. PP have manual Ohlins suspension that is super sweet.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Ty all. I will dissect all this info. When is good enough good enough lol. I really like the Pikes Peak version. Especially the 2016 but $$$$ more than I want to shell out. I’m in North Ga and looking on Cycle Trader there’s some nice deals.
thanks again all
it it’s just you riding then get the non S and make sure you have someone set up the suspension for your Weight. You’ll be plenty happy without all the extra options.

·
Registered
316 Posts

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
it it’s just you riding then get the non S and make sure you have someone set up the suspension for your Weight. You’ll be plenty happy without all the extra options.
and even happier that he doesn't have to worry about replacing modules other electronics on the suspension. I had a 13 GT with skyhook and it was brilliant but long term I'd rather have traditional suspension for ease of keeping it maintained.

As to 2010 vs 2013. I had extensively test ridden a 2010 which was pretty lumpy in power delivery, the 13 with dual spark was just about the best fueled duc of any that I owned. As memory serves 2010=2011 were first bikes with the euro 3 mandated fueling/tune and they had issues with smoothness.

·
Registered
30 Posts
'13 S Touring owner here, have had it since new. The S Touring had a few differences to the base other than Skyhook, including heated grips, center stand, LED headlight, and panniers (side bags); depending on your use, some of those things may actually be more important to you than the suspension, though they can be addressed with aftermarket parts if you get a base. I love my bike, but I would not hesitate to buy or suggest a base model instead. The Skyhook suspension is good, but not great, and could certainly be improved upon by a non-active, fixed damping suspension that is properly set up. Personally, unless you really need the ability to change damping and preload frequently and while on the run, I'd suggest the non-Skyhook suspension.

·
Registered
1 Posts
True. But I will get the 4 riding modes though correct
Yes. you still have the 4 riding engine modes without the "s" (electronic suspension)......there was much less difference in the 2013/2015 suspension models, than there is in newer models........so I'd go for the non "S" model if it's a good price.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
I also have a 2013s touring. having not been on the non-skyhook version i really can't give a direct comparison. I can say when the skyhook is working correctly it's really nice. I've 60k miles on the bike and it has been a series of ups and downs.
I live in a land of bumpy roads and the skyhook makes the experience much less rib-jarring.
that said I've also had issues with the suspension starting with the 2013 recall fo the front fork change. Then the rear accelerometer change-out and the rear shock leak at 50k to name a few.
after having the skyhook, i don't think i would settle for any less, but be aware there could be issues.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I have the 2012 MTS1200R with the Ohlins and the Mechtronic software.
My experience (buying it used around three years ago, with about 30k miles):
If the price is right, the electronic suspension is a neat thing to have.
If it works.
If you can buy an extended warrantee, do so...when/if it starts throwing codes, it won't be a cheap fix.
Mine just started having an intermittent DES fault (at about 45k miles).
If I cycle the ignition it goes away...for now.
I'm sure that one day soon, it won't.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
2010-2012 were the same. They had the single spark 11 degree testastretta motor. The S versions had electronic Ohlins which is super sweet. Base has manual suspension that is fine, but nothing special.

2013-2014 were the same. They had the dual spark 11 degree testastretta motor. It’s nearly the same as the single spark- slightly slightly smoother at low revs. The S versions had Skyhook electronic suspension. Good- but now as good as the Ohlins electronic. Base has manual suspension that is good but nothing special

2015-2017 were the same. They had the 1200cc DVT motor. The S versions had Skyhook electronic suspension. Base has manual suspension.

2018-current are the same. They have the 1260 DVT motor. S versions have skyhook electronic suspension. Base have manual suspension. PP have manual Ohlins suspension that is super sweet.
. So wow this 2011 might be the way to go. Has the electronic ohlins and the single spark sound like no big deal . Thx for the info

·
Sophomore Member
2,964 Posts
I still miss my 2011 S. It was the best bike I’ve ever owned.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I've seen a sweet deal on a 2014 but it's not a S Will I miss it?? I guess the only diff is the suspension Manual vs Automatic correct??

Any pros and cons?

Let's hear it
You won't know what you're "missing" if you don't get the S version, but if you knew, yes, you will definitely miss it. The different riding options and customized settings are awesome and make the bike special.

21 - 40 of 47 Posts