Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a sweet deal on a 2014 but it's not a S Will I miss it?? I guess the only diff is the suspension Manual vs Automatic correct??

Any pros and cons?

Let's hear it

·
Registered
51 Posts
I have the 2019S best suspension ever....I am now a believer in the automatic suspensions. You can also change it with a touch of a button...sport, touring, urban, way to nice and no wrenching

Sent from my LG-H910 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the 2019S best suspension ever....I am now a believer in the automatic suspensions. You can also change it with a touch of a button...sport, touring, urban, way to nice and no wrenching

How often do you find yourself changing it and can you feel that much of a diff?? Thx

·
Registered
51 Posts
Quite often...the other day I was riding through wine country on narrow back roads covered with pot holes all at very low speeds due to the roads. I switched it up to Urban and what a difference it made. Then on the way home back to touring. Yesterday I was riding along the coast with no one around and I ran it in sport...I have never tried Enduro...but the bike is completely different in those three modes. Some people don't use them but hey they come with the bike so why not. It is worth it

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Quite often...the other day I was riding through wine country on narrow back roads covered with pot holes all at very low speeds due to the roads. I switched it up to Urban and what a difference it made. Then on the way home back to touring. Yesterday I was riding along the coast with no one around and I ran it in sport...I have never tried Enduro...but the bike is completely different in those three modes. Some people don't use them but hey they come with the bike so why not. It is worth it

I thought these modes came with all 1200’s. Im talking about the S version which is just suspension. Correct?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Correct they all have the modes but the S version adjust the suspension when the mode changes. That is critical so in addition to throttle and fueling changes, the suspension will soften or harden up depending on what is selected. It even affects the chain tension. So the chain is adjusted in Urban mode but will loosen up a bit for touring and Sport modes. You can also customize the suspension set up mode so if you want touring to be a bit stiffer, you adjust it and it will save in the memory. When you rode two up or one with saddle bags you select luggage or two up with luggage and the suspension automatically adjusts. Lastly it makes adjustments as you ride on the fly at incredible speed. I spent a fair amount of time test riding bikes, and researching suspensions this is a great system. If your just looking for sport riding and track days then Ohlins manual would work well like on the Pikes Peak Model. But for the average person this suspension will get you 95% of that with the push of a button..

·
Registered
299 Posts
On my S1000R I found the ESA to be a complete gimmick, there was no perceptible change between the two modes (2017+ S1KR only have road and dynamic) but on my 2016 Multi S I really find there is a huge difference between the suspension in sport and touring modes (don't really use urban or enduro).

Can't speak directly to the 2013 "S" but I'm glad I have my 2016.

·
Sophomore Member
2,876 Posts
How important is suspension to you?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Correct they all have the modes but the S version adjust the suspension when the mode changes. That is critical so in addition to throttle and fueling changes, the suspension will soften or harden up depending on what is selected. It even affects the chain tension. So the chain is adjusted in Urban mode but will loosen up a bit for touring and Sport modes. You can also customize the suspension set up mode so if you want touring to be a bit stiffer, you adjust it and it will save in the memory. When you rode two up or one with saddle bags you select luggage or two up with luggage and the suspension automatically adjusts. Lastly it makes adjustments as you ride on the fly at incredible speed. I spent a fair amount of time test riding bikes, and researching suspensions this is a great system. If your just looking for sport riding and track days then Ohlins manual would work well like on the Pikes Peak Model. But for the average person this suspension will get you 95% of that with the push of a button..

How important is suspension to you?
its important but do I need to change it all the time? Coming from a Harley Road King

·
Registered
51 Posts
its important but do I need to change it all the time? Coming from a Harley Road King
Just depends on what you want the bike for. I have ridden numerous Harleys, this bike is very different. A Road King puts out around 80 up, this bike has 158. A very different bike but a blast to ride. Your choice

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I had a 2013 mts gt, superb bike best I ever had. BUT I will be honest having a bike with the semi active suspension, as the bike ages (it's already 6-7 years old), keeping that suspension functioning properly could be quite expensive. I'd personally lean towards standard suspension. Already enough other electronics on the MTS to deal with. If you're coming from a harley it's highly unlikely you'll notice the difference between traditional suspension and semi active suspension.

·
Registered
435 Posts
Some of the canyon roads around here are fun but rough. Others are smoooooth like the track. I switch between touring and sport accordingly. I’d absolutely buy that feature again.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I had a 2013 mts gt, superb bike best I ever had. BUT I will be honest having a bike with the semi active suspension, as the bike ages (it's already 6-7 years old), keeping that suspension functioning properly could be quite expensive. I'd personally lean towards standard suspension. Already enough other electronics on the MTS to deal with. If you're coming from a harley it's highly unlikely you'll notice the difference between traditional suspension and semi active suspension.
True. But I will get the 4 riding modes though correct

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've got a 2016 DVT non-S version. The suspension is fine to me and I've left it at the factory settings for now. Maybe I don't know what I am missing with the electronic suspension upgrade, but I've toured, day rode the back canyons, and commuted on the bike and haven't felt any shortcomings on the suspension. YMMV.

·
Sophomore Member
2,876 Posts
The 4 ride modes affect throttle response for the base model. They affect throttle response and suspension for the S. Coming from a big heavy touring bike, I think you will be fine with the base model. I had a 2011 S. I would switch modes from touring (my normal state) to sport when I would hit mountain roads. I would switch back out to touring soon as I got off the twisty roads. Maybe I’m wrong, but I’m guessing you aren’t used to pushing hard enough in the twisties (based off of most recent ride) to want different suspension for that purpose. Get the base. You will be plenty happy with it.

·
Registered
49 Posts
I ride my Multistrada 90% of the time with the wife on the back. My main sell for the Skyhook was switching between single and two-up riding preferences, especially when smooth roads become bumpy.

I probably wouldn't have wanted it for single rider usage.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ty all. I will dissect all this info. When is good enough good enough lol. I really like the Pikes Peak version. Especially the 2016 but $$$$ more than I want to shell out. I’m in North Ga and looking on Cycle Trader there’s some nice deals.
thanks again all

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I've got a 2016 DVT non-S version. The suspension is fine to me and I've left it at the factory settings for now. Maybe I don't know what I am missing with the electronic suspension upgrade, but I've toured, day rode the back canyons, and commuted on the bike and haven't felt any shortcomings on the suspension. YMMV.
2016 DVT??? What is dvt

1 - 20 of 47 Posts