Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents (and Ladies?),

Although most people seem to turn their SC's into GT's I'm moving in the other direction. Yesterday a friend of mine took some photos and I saw what I look like hanging off on a GT1000. See monkey photo below:

So I bought some 70's style lowbars. I just put them on this morning. Yes, I also changed gastanks. We'll see if my monkey reduction program works or not. I've also ordered rearsets. More to come:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
That hanging off is really working for you in the picture. You seem to have given yourself at least 30 degrees of extra ground clearance. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
54 Posts
Gents (and Ladies?),

Although most people seem to turn their SC's into GT's I'm moving in the other direction. Yesterday a friend of mine took some photos and I saw what I look like hanging off on a GT1000. See monkey photo below:

So I bought some 70's style lowbars. I just put them on this morning. Yes, I also changed gastanks. We'll see if my monkey reduction program works or not. I've also ordered rearsets. More to come:

I always wondered how low you could go :think:

·
Registered
369 Posts
I always thought they hanlded very well, too. Shit I think I have leaned it over almost as much as my '98.

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Monkeys be damned!! :) Not claiming any great technique....but it sure is fun!!

At Lee Park's Total Control riding clinic:

On the street:

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
MSoft: I'm not talking about lean angle, I'm talking about the funky body position required on the GT when hanging off.

Dietrich: You are illustrating the phenomenon I'm talking about--the body position the GT bars and pegs force you to take.

The extreme extension of the position looks like this--very awkward:

In any event, I put the lowbars on this morning and that helps tremendously.

I just slapped on these rearsets on the shifter side--working on the brake side. I'll let you know if the body position problem can be solved on a GT.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sorry, dude. I thought you were making fun of me for posting a lame picture where I wasn't leaned over at all. Maybe you are... anyway, I am aware that I look like a monkey and it is not a great picture and after all, it is just the internets.

I need a brake cylinder bracket off of a 2006 to mount the rear brake cylinder in the right place. I'm going to see if I can find one today and get the rearsets working.

·
Registered
517 Posts

·
Registered
233 Posts
Barfer Dude,
If you want to farkle your bike, then just say so. It's already great looking. But trying to say you need different bars to "look" better in the turns or to go faster is blowing sand up a bunch of guy's skirts that know better. I've seen guys on Multis and Suzuki Supermotos walk all over crouched 999 riders who think their "mach tuck" and knee out is going to look the best for the corner camera. Try that corner again with a foot out flattrack style, that would look badass. Riding is gonna get your knee down, not different bars.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Riding is gonna get your knee down, not different bars.
Uh, no amount of riding is going to change the geometry problem on the GT. The GT pegs are about three inches forward and three inches down from your SC pegs. The same geometry problem is why you can't drag knee on a harley with forward controls.

Dietrich, did you lower your bars and raise your pegs from stock? Your positioning looks much more relaxed than mine--for instance, in the second picture you posted, your weak arm is resting on the tank and your heel is almost touching the passenger peg.

And Sushi-Nav, thanks for the mentoring about how saddle time will help me ride better (I do agree that saddle time helps all of us) but that isn't exactly what I was asking about. I learned to drag knee 20 years ago in highschool on bear creek road in Orinda, CA, on a 1989 CBR 600. I will never forget that moment.

Back to the topic, are there any other GT riders who have put rearsets on or addressed this geometry issue some other way? In some ways I think I should just buy an SC...

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Dietrich, did you lower your bars and raise your pegs from stock? Your positioning looks much more relaxed than mine--for instance, in the second picture you posted, your weak arm is resting on the tank and your heel is almost touching the passenger peg.
I do have lower bars, almost 2" lower than stock I believe. I now have them rolled way back to reduce the reach and so the grips are angled down slightly more like clip ons. I believe my grips are actually lower than some of the "clip ons" people have that have the bars way above the top tripple. The second pic you reference was from the Total Control class, with stock rearsets. Lee had us crouched down so low, upper body almost parallel to the tank, that with the raised bars my forearms actually angled up to reach the grips. Awkward feeling for sure, and I never seem to need that kind of riding position on the street. I now have my pegs moved back and up slightly with the use of vario adjustable peg mounts, slightly modified (I posted a while back about the instal). They definitely help the ergos, because with the lower bars it always felt like my feet were too far forward.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello, im new to the forum..anyways, i like the style of the lowbar you put on your SC. Im considering the lowbar also, but what i'd like to know is there enough clearance between the bar and the clamp where i can squeeze in a Scotts steering damper with the sub mont kit? It looks as if at least an inch and a half of space is needed in between. Im torn between the classic look of the bars as oppose to clip ons, but i want a clean front end (thats why i want to stuff the steering damper under the bars) without sacrificing the "neo-retro" look (thats my term for the SC1000, feel free to use it as long as you say where you heard it 1st! lol). Just wanna know how much space there is. Thanks buddy.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Ok, so bars and rearsets are all on and I'm very happy with how it turned out. Knee scraping was no problem yesterday.

Here are pics of bars and rearsets. The rearsets are off ebay and are supposedly for a MH900. They were about 200 bucks, I think. Bars were also off ebay and about 35 bucks. Note the relocation required for the brake cylinder and the twist in the brake line required. I had to obtain the bracket from an 06 SC to mount the bracket. Haberdash, the bar height over the triple clamps is slightly increased from stock, since I had to put little spacers in there to keep the grips off of the fork caps--I'm sure there would be room for the damper mount there.

I'll see if I can get someone to take some photos next weekend of knee scrapage. Body positioning is everything and I'm pretty happy with this mod, although I may try another set of bars that provides a grip angle that is more square to the tank.

Attachments

·
Registered
221 Posts
why does the original photo show a red tank machine and the detail shots a blue tank, is it a standard colour do you have shots of the whole bike ?

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I went out to a parking lot this afternoon and made my buddy snap some photos. Re the tank question, this is a custom one I got from GTRossi--it was uncomfortable w/ standard GT pegs so although I had it on for a while I put the red GT tank back on until now. The SC tank is fine w/ rearsets.

Less awkward arm/leg position:

Knee down:

Back tire likes the new geometry:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 21 Posts