Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my 1200s -11 the hands free unit is broken according to my local dealer.
It doesn’t recognize the black key if not put against the antenna. They have changed batteries in the key, checked with another antenna and programmed a new key and nothing helped so they have come to conclusion that the hands free unit needs replacement. Unfortunately they charge 800euro for it. I have found on internet the part with programmed keys for 470euro.

My question is does anyone know if changing unit needs programming or if I can change it my self without a DDS?

Peter

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Nobody other than me had this problem and wanted to fix it himself?

If someone else have this problem in the future and want to know, this is what I found out.
According to Ducati Nottingham that sell the part online say that I can change the part by myself but I need to let a Ducati workshop activate the unit and allow it to communicate with the rest of the bike.

·
Registered
290 Posts
On my 1200s -11 the hands free unit is broken according to my local dealer.
It doesn’t recognize the black key if not put against the antenna. They have changed batteries in the key, checked with another antenna and programmed a new key and nothing helped so they have come to conclusion that the hands free unit needs replacement. Unfortunately they charge 800euro for it. I have found on internet the part with programmed keys for 470euro.

My question is does anyone know if changing unit needs programming or if I can change it my self without a DDS?

Peter

Does it start when key is close?
Mine wouldn't/couldn't start when my HFU failed, it would just give an error message "steering lock engaged" and would shut down.
The steering lock wasn't/hadn't been engaged.
That makes me think there could be another issue happening.
But I'm only familiar how mine (and a few others) behaved when failed.
Needed a ride in van to dealer for new HFU.
Cost $1000 AU that included 2.5 hours labour, install and activate and reprogram unit and keys.

From my experience the bike can't start with a failed HFU.
Anyone close to you that can give a second opinion?
Your right, only a shop with the magic computer can activate and sync keys.
Goodluck

·
Registered
102 Posts
if the key on the antenna works, then install the antenna on the right side between the fairing and the compartment. to ride then always put the key in the compartment.
money saved for new HFU

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Another Ducati dealer I have been in contact with have confirmed that I need a DDS to program the keys. It’s not possible to pre-program. My local workshop is going to replace the unit and I got a little better price because I’m combining it with a service i needed to do anyway this winter. They say that they have seen this problem before but it’s rare.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Another example of needless technology that is just another thing to break. You need the key to unlock the gas cap so why didn't Ducati just use a normal ignition? My key is sometimes not recognized, get a key not found error message while riding, and has left me stranded (didn't have the PIN set).
Now my heated grips have failed. I love my MTS but Ducati needs to get their s**t together. Yamaha doesn't have these issues

·
Registered
37 Posts
Now my heated grips have failed. I love my MTS but Ducati needs to get their s**t together. Yamaha doesn't have these issues
I assure you every brand has "these issues".

Many people will never have a problem, regardless of brand/model of bike. Others will be unlucky and experience issues.

I'm new to this bike and this forum, but I've been very active on the R1 and S1000R forums and have read many, many threads about Yamaha and BMW owners having far more significant issues than heated grips or a keyless ignition fault (look up the 2015 Yamaha R1 transmission recall).

·
Registered
8 Posts
get a second one

If the dealer is going to re-program the new key, you may wish to purchase a second black key at the same time. I have been told the shop rate to reprogram is exactly the same in order to flash one or 2 keys.
Call me crazy, but, I feel better having a spare black key at home just in case I were to do something stupid with the first one.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Even though I love my 1200s -11, sometimes I wish that I had my old 1100 instead.........a lot more soul and less electronic

1 - 9 of 9 Posts