Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why we got hands free error?

I couldn't start my bike using PIN code, when I pressed the button, nothing happened. There was no power to dashboard, and it didn't ask for the code. I'm sure that the PIN code has been set.

To power on the ECU and dashboard, I bypassed the hands free relay by putting on a jumper at its contact. By doing that, the dashboard was on and I could see it showed the hands free error on the round gauge. However, the bike still couldn't start. In order to start the bike, I have to press the button to clear the hands free error (it will come back after a while), before the error comes back again, I remove the jumper -> turn off the dashboard, then I put back the jumper, this time, the dashboard will ask for the PIN code. After put in the code, the dashboard is ON and I can start the bike.

Does anyone have experience on this problem?

Thanks,

·
Registered
589 Posts
Try a new battery in key fob first , next try holding either key , passive red or black normal , close to the hands free sensor antenna behind the front windshield for 2010 - 2014 models , if this does not activate your bike dash then service for replacement of the on/off sliding switch ,or the hands free antenna is probably required . As to why the pin code would not come on when the immobilizer overide button was pushed ,that is puzzling , and if jumped over it with contact wires and it came on , this could indicate a possible wire breakage .

·
Green owner of Red MTS1200
151 Posts
Hyokoon,

Did you resolve this problem as now I have it too?

I could not get the bike to light up from the start switch or the pin button. I did replace the key fob battery and it now lights up but the pin button remains dead, bike also will not "read" the red key on its nose and light up either. BTW the fob battery I removed still read 3.03 volts so still OK according to my multimeter.

Tested with the black key 24 hours later and it still works ok but pin button still dead, so is suspect the hands free unit is fried. Anyone in the US suggest a good cheap site to buy parts? Ive seen Ducati Omaha being mentioned in some threads?

Appreciate any tips, this 2012 has cost me big time so far with failed BBS computer - one rear blinker wouldn't work, and the dash locked the horn on when dealer was trouble shooting intermittent TCS error that I now suspect was the wiring to front wheel sensors as it failed again after $2k worth of parts and labour...

Love the ride, but starting to think this red devil has been zapped by lightning or something as so many failures start to add up..

Thanks John

·
Registered
292 Posts
John, my hands free unit died 3 weeks ago was surprised by the cost of a new unit in Aus.
AU$710.54 (plus GST) which is cheaper than Ducati Omaha US$754.90 (plus exchange rate and shipping).

Part number is 59820926A

·
151 Posts
John, my hands free unit died 3 weeks ago was surprised by the cost of a new unit in Aus.
AU$710.54 (plus GST) which is cheaper than Ducati Omaha US$754.90 (plus exchange rate and shipping).

Part number is 59820926A
G'day Dharma, thanks for letting me know, this a bit reassuring as it's over $650 euro from Star Twins so I was guessing $1200 plus...

http://shop.oemducati.com/en/products/multistrada/2012_5/multistrada-1200-s/fuel-tank-216

Can fill in some of the details such as the symptoms you had ?

Did you self diagnose it or take to a dealer to diagnose and install, and which dealer ? (I found a Tiger Bay near Warren ??)

Does the unit include a full set of new keys and new lock barrels to change in panniers etc or can it be reprogrammed by the dealer ?

Sorry for the numerous questions and thanks in advance.

Cheers John

·
Registered
292 Posts
G'day Dharma, thanks for letting me know, this a bit reassuring as it's over $650 euro from Star Twins so I was guessing $1200 plus...

Star Twin: the online shop for Ducati OEM spare parts and accessories.

Can fill in some of the details such as the symptoms you had ?

Did you self diagnose it or take to a dealer to diagnose and install, and which dealer ? (I found a Tiger Bay near Warren ??)

Does the unit include a full set of new keys and new lock barrels to change in panniers etc or can it be reprogrammed by the dealer ?

Sorry for the numerous questions and thanks in advance.

Cheers John
John, was at home, flicked the red switch, steering lock retracted, dash showed "steering lock error".
Bike wouldn't start and then shut down.
Tried the pin code, same thing. Tried multiple times, it wasn't starting.

Decided it was the hands free unit from reading the knowledge on these forums.
Called ducati roadside assist, a van arrived and took the bike to the nearest dealer, Sydney City Motorcycles.

*Tiger Bay is a reference to a 1950's UK film and obscure internet reference lost in time.
North Sydney is home.

Dealer confirmed HFU failed. Asked for goodwill warranty, had the bike from new for 2.75 years.
The HFU is on it's second or third revision. They shut that warranty talk down quickly.

No new keys, your current keys are reprogrammed by the dealer.
If you install the HFU yourself it will still need to go to a dealer for the keys to be reprogrammed.
Don't forget to get the new PIN off the dealer, mine was 1234.

Cost $710.54 for HFU, $275 for labour (including reprogramming), $98.55 tax. Total $1084.09

Steering lock wouldn't work when I got it back. After a bit of research on the interwebz found the answer.
Due to HFU being on it's second or third revision and multiple software updates and the graphical user interface lacking the text needed on pre 2013 models, hold the red switch down when it shows waiting for steering lock, then shows red switch not released, keep holding red switch down. Red switch not released flashes 4 times then steering locks.

The bike was trouble free for 2.75 years/30000KM.
Things have started to fail.
Couple weeks before HFU failed gear return spring broke.
3 days after HFU repaired I was in Melbourne on way to Tasmania and the side stand plate broke and bike went over.
Waiting on a new plate and side stand.

Check Fraser MC for the HFU appears they have them in stock.
Hope it's a quick fix.

·
151 Posts
Thanks for all the details, sorry yours is playing up - I know how it feels...

Anyway looks like I was chasing two issues, one being the key fob intermittent, the battery replacement seems to have it sound now even though the voltage was ok on a meter, and the Pin button system.

The pin button being off line was I suspect due to the dealers previous work or troubleshooting, as the pin I set when I bought the bike was gone - there wasn't any pin at all stored and the button won't work unless there is, found this reading the users manual, I missed the reference above by the OP.

So that is two parts fixed, a third issue still remains as the bike will not "read" the Red key if it is held to the nose - the start toggle does nothing nor does the pin button. So I'm left wondering if any previous work by dealer could have effected that ? Eg has the ECU or whatever computer that owns the Red key and hands free unit been erased or replaced ? This bike does have a new dash and also BBS computer, so a question for Frasers this week.

After reading the tale of HFU issues I don't use the lock system - it's not as necessary here in country NSW, and if someone wants to steal my MTS I have insurance for it.. and I'll be getting NRMA premium membership before next long trips, so I don't become stranded as it now seems a real possibility... We too did 4500kms to Tasmania and return last year, it only played up with the TCS error on day one and not since - fingers crossed.
Regards John

·
Registered
292 Posts
Sounds complicated, could be a number of things. Hope frasers can give some answers.

Be careful with NRMA premium. I had it years ago, hit a pothole near willow tree (new england highway), front wheel of 748 cracked/split. They didn't cover any wheel problems. They offered to pay for a bus ticket home:frown2:
I had to organise/pay for a tow back to tamworth ducati. Read the terms and conditions to see what they cover these days.
Would be worth comparing it to ducati roadside assist (costs $110 per year).

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
bike would not power up without the fob present

I replaced my OEM battery on my 2013 Multi and it cleared my 7500 mile warning...yea. It also cleared my pin so that my bike would not power up without the fob present.(ie., could not get power to use pin)
Went round and round with this issue, then I used the fob to power on the bike and then programed the pin again and cha-ching, all is good (so far) with or without the fob.
The axiom of reset, reboot, reprogram worked in this case.

Hope this helps someone with similar problem.

Don

·
Resident Raggamuffin
9,712 Posts
@Hyokoon what year is your Multistrada? Maybe add it to your signature line (via the User Control Panel at the top of the page) so to help others better help you when issues like these arise. Thanks and hope you get your problem resolved soon :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Brand new '16 DVT with 700 miles. Bike was flawless until about 500, then I started getting "Steering Lock Error" issues that progressively got worse. Almost couldn't get it started on my way to the dealers for the 600 miles service. New HFU is on the way under warranty and the shop manager mentioned it's a revised part# so hopefully they've buttoned this up.

·
Registered
2 Posts
bike would not power up without the fob present

I replaced my OEM battery on my 2013 Multi and it cleared my 7500 mile warning...yea. It also cleared my pin so that my bike would not power up without the fob present.(ie., could not get power to use pin)
Went round and round with this issue, then I used the fob to power on the bike and then programed the pin again and cha-ching, all is good (so far) with or without the fob.
The axiom of reset, reboot, reprogram worked in this case.

Hope this helps someone with similar problem.

Don
This was indeed very useful. Cheers

1 - 13 of 13 Posts