Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
is a 6" rear wheel with a 190/55 pirelli corsa too much for 748? Is it worth going to all the bother to change ride height geometry etc. or stick with the 5.5" rim and 180 tire. Anyone tried this route. I'm thinking the rear will overpower the front and cause push in the corners.

·
Registered
797 Posts
The proper sized rim and tire should not create any adverse effects in your handling, yet not sure it would help much on the street, and at the track only if you are an extremely good rider playing the "A" class all the time.

I've run the standard 5.5 rim, 5.75 PVM rim and a 6.0 PVM rim on my 748's and the 996sps. I get better handling with the aftermarket rims (weight factor) but street or track riding just the weight of the rims makes the biggest difference...

Cheers,
m

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
tire/rim size

posted a thread awhile back concerning the effect of rim and tire size. Seems I was in error, I stated I had a 190 tire on a 6" rim..big whoops it's a 180. So...what is the consensus on handling and the affect on the front end feel. Personally I'm finding the bike just doesn't want to turn. I have 4 lines showing on the forks, checked sag, been playing with front reb/comp. I think I'll put the 5.5" rim back on...

·
Registered
236 Posts
posted a thread awhile back concerning the effect of rim and tire size. Seems I was in error, I stated I had a 190 tire on a 6" rim..big whoops it's a 180. So...what is the consensus on handling and the affect on the front end feel. Personally I'm finding the bike just doesn't want to turn. I have 4 lines showing on the forks, checked sag, been playing with front reb/comp. I think I'll put the 5.5" rim back on...
I'm running Pirelli Superbike slick 180/55 on a 6" rim. I think it works very well.

You might want to raise the rear to quicken the steering.

I don't think the rim had a big affect on the front end feel.
Changing offset on the tripple (27mm I think) made a big difference to the front end feel in comparison.

Isn't your 6" rim lighter that your 5.5." as well? That would help steering too.

I haven't been able to try a 190/55 on the 6" rim due to clearance issues with the exhaust. So I can't tell you if I'd prefer the wider tyre on the 6". So maybe ignore this :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts