Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend I rode the 848 and 1098 (non-S) at the dealer. I was struck by how much more quickly the 848 could change direction. My initial explanation was the taller bars, lighter weight, reduced gyroscopic from the motor, and a thinner tire all aided the 848. After doing some reading on Ducati's website I was reminded of the new frame and swingarm, and consequently the rake and trail changes, which might be even more significant.

Any thoughts on this? For those of you that have ridden both bikes, did you notice the difference?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Does the 848 have a steering dampner? That might have something to do with it.
I haven't ridden a 1098 or a 848, but that didn't stop me from buying a 1098, I knew I would like the damn thing.

·
Bon Vivant
10,917 Posts
There are enough differences to make the general feel between the two bikes quite noticeable.

First keep in mind that the 848 is heavier than the 1098 - yep heavier.
The 848 has a shorter rake and a longer swing arm, this puts the rider more forward and on a track at the limit of adhesion an expert rider might be able to push just a little harder into the corner. But none of us has the skill to take advantage of this change- not even close.

The difference in rake is 1.1 degree which will quicken the turn-in but the longer swing arm slows it back down so geometry changes should make the feeling negligible.

The 1098 still has lighter wheels than the 848 and that is noticeable given two identicle bikes but I'd be willing to bet that the big difference that we will all feel when riding the two bikes back to back is the lighter steering afforded by the lack of a damper.
Try it, remove you damper and ride the bike - I did and the diffence is huge. If you like the feeling of the 848sf the solution is easy, remove the damper.

But on a race track two riders of the same skill will be hard pressed to find any advantage other than the power of the bigger bike

·
Registered
2,129 Posts
As an owner of the big SF I wouldnt be ashamed to say that the little Sf could be a better bike. The fact is that the big one is still an amazing bike and handles quite well. Plus the 1098 engine has a lot of grunt everywhere and makes the bike a lot more fun to ride around town. As a canyon craver I would probably stick to the 848 but as a hooligan bike I am conviced the 1098 engine has no opposition.

·
Registered
113 Posts
...Try it, remove you damper and ride the bike - I did and the diffence is huge. If you like the feeling of the 848sf the solution is easy, remove the damper.
I use the BiTubo damper and did notice a big difference when changing the damper to very little damping. Conversely I also scared the sh*t out of my self the first time I dove into a corner with the damper set too firm. Still on the learning curve.:eek:

·
Registered
124 Posts
Last weekend I rode the 848 and 1098 (non-S) at the dealer. I was struck by how much more quickly the 848 could change direction. My initial explanation was the taller bars, lighter weight, reduced gyroscopic from the motor, and a thinner tire all aided the 848. After doing some reading on Ducati's website I was reminded of the new frame and swingarm, and consequently the rake and trail changes, which might be even more significant.

Any thoughts on this? For those of you that have ridden both bikes, did you notice the difference?
Yes, Ive ridden both. I have a 2010sf and recently ordered a 848. Still waiting, the waiting is the hardest part. I agree that the 848 handles better......but the 1098 still handles awesome. The 1098 is a little harder riding around city/town, its way to easy to speed with the 1098!! The foot peg placement on the 848 is also set differently than the 1098. Which I think make for a better ride.

·
1,765 Posts
848SF's changed footpegs positions and a raised handlebar make it really easy to fart while riding on the streets. What a great commuter bike!

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
96 Posts
i sat on a 848 a week before getting my 1098S. the 1098 to me is special, the 848 is not. they look similar, not the same, and the goddies of the S and the big motor just make it so much more appealing.

i know im biast as i have a 1098, but to be honest i brought my bike for more than just a ride.

if all 848 owners were honest, money no object, would they really choose the 848?

for the same price as my used 1098 i could of got a new 848 and loads of pimp bits, but i didn't.

i havent ridden a 848, and i wont because its made the awsome, exclusive streetfighter bland.(oh and it would be gutting if it was better)

please back me up 1098 owners and dont leave me in the 848's lion's den!

·
Registered
96 Posts
i sat on a 848 a week before getting my 1098S. the 1098 to me is special, the 848 is not. they look similar, not the same, and the goddies of the S and the big motor just make it so much more appealing.

i know im biast as i have a 1098, but to be honest i brought my bike for more than just a ride.

if all 848 owners were honest, money no object, would they really choose the 848?

for the same price as my used 1098 i could of got a new 848 and loads of pimp bits, but i didn't.

i havent ridden a 848, and i wont because its made the awsome, exclusive streetfighter bland.(oh and it would be gutting if it was better)

please back me up 1098 owners and dont leave me in the 848's lion's den!
the 848 is cool tho ;)

·
Registered
465 Posts
I haven't sat on an 848 yet, but I will say that when I changed my 2010 SFS's bars to the Renthal (about 1.5" higher and slightly wider), the difference in handling was enormous. The bike felt twice as responsive and easier to steer. I had those bars on the bike for about a year before strangely being motivated to swap back to the stock bar. I'm liking the stock bar a lot better now for some reason. My previous bike was an FZ6 so the SFS was a huge change. I guess I just had to get used to it.

·
Premium Member
2,097 Posts
My wife's honda rebel 250 has higher bars, a shorter swing arm, and is easier turning than the SF848. Therefore it is a better around town and definitely a better canyon bike than the SF848. :)

Everytime you come around a corner and whack open the throttle, and the front wheel gets light - or comes up an inch and then you don't set it down perfectly aligned, you will be very glad you have the dampener.

It just depends on how agressive you want to ride.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for all of the input, guys. Please remember that I am only really discussing the handling of the two bikes, no other aspects. Also, I am comparing the 848 to a non-S version of the 1098.

First keep in mind that the 848 is heavier than the 1098 - yep heavier.
I rode a 2010 non-S version which, according to Ducati's website, is exactly the same weight as the 848. So, looks like we were both wrong. The S version is lighter, of course.

...I'd be willing to bet that the big difference that we will all feel when riding the two bikes back to back is the lighter steering afforded by the lack of a damper.
That seems hard to believe since you really don't turn the bars when cornering; it's mostly leaning and weight transition.

Yes, Ive ridden both. I have a 2010sf and recently ordered a 848.
What made you want an 848? Are you getting rid of your 1098?

·
Registered
124 Posts
What made you want an 848? Are you getting rid of your 1098?[/QUOTE]

After I rode it, awesome ride! Many other reasons, way less maintenance, cost. Dont get me wrong 1098 is amazing, but sometimes(in my eyes) its way to much power. Too easy to get in trouble. Im still up i the air about keeping the 1098.

·
Registered
635 Posts
A) if all 848 owners were honest, money no object, would they really choose the 848?

B) i havent ridden a 848, and i wont because its made the awsome, exclusive streetfighter bland.(oh and it would be gutting if it was better)

C) please back me up 1098 owners and dont leave me in the 848's lion's den!
A) yes, I had my choice of anything south of an EBR, rode a dozen bikes from 5 manufacturers (including both base and S-model SF1098's) and still chose the "baby"

B) If you actually bothered to RIDE one before expressing your feelings about it's "bland'-ness, you might change your mind....:confused:

C) too late, you're in it now.....;)

1 - 20 of 49 Posts