Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a driveway tip over on my 939 while seated. Even though my body cushioned the fall, the handguard broke in five places. I have sliders and bar ends, but the OEM guard hit on the top half and is $50 to replace. I want a more robust design and am looking for suggestions.

Option 1: Ditch the OEM blinkers and install these (https://www.newragecycles.com/Hypermotard_939_821Front_LED_Turn_Signals_p/hyper-sms.htm).

Option 1A: Keep stock mirrors and cover the bar end gaps (https://www.rhinomoto.com/https:/www.rhinomoto.com/hypermotard-barends/).

Option 2: Install Barkbusters, but the 939 has a notched handlebar. Can Barkbusters be made to fit without using a hacksaw?

Option 2A: Ditch stock mirrors and mount an Arrow kit to the new guards (Quick Flip Mirror Mounts (Arrow Kit) - rottweilerperformance).

Option 3: Buy a tapered handlebar to help w/ shoulder and wrist pain plus solve the bar end problem which turns a $50 mistake into a $400 fix.

Does anyone run Barkbusters on a 939 (or 821 if it has a notched bar)?

·
Registered
134 Posts
Was it the plastic that shattered, or the metal? I'd just replace the plastic if that's the case. It'll be cheaper than replacing everything.

I don't see anything about broken levers, so obviously the factory guards did their job. :wink2:

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The plastic guard shattered: (https://www.ducatiomaha.com/products/4601d422a) & (https://www.ducatiomaha.com/products/8301a382a). Metal doesn't shatter from a tip over.

I held the bike off the levers. The OEM guards don't protect squat, esp. in a lowside. The design is a clamshell just to house the blinker--no real protection. I was able to JB Weld the bottom half together until I decide on a safe replacement. The OEM guards are total crap and not worth $50 for two brittle pieces of plastic. Airbus has x10 better plastic in their window shades for the same price.

The more I look at it, the more I am leaning to ditching covers because they don't make enough difference in the cold. I will probably replace the stock mirrors, which block hand movement, and clean up the front w/ option 2A. I have my eye on a Zeta bar or Barkbusters if they will fit. Would love to hear from anyone who installed them on a 821/939.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Option 2: Install Barkbusters, but the 939 has a notched handlebar. Can Barkbusters be made to fit without using a hacksaw?
Not a 939, but my 1100 has a notched handlebar and the Barkbusters alloy spine fit with no problems:

It's an expanding plug in the bar end, long enough that the notch doesn't matter. I used a kit made for a 1290 Super Duke since it has a similar taper to the 1100 - 28mm tapering to 22mm - and also has radial MC's so I knew the mounting bracket would go far enough out to accommodate them.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Being as though I have a spare set of Zeta XC Flasher hand guards for my Supermoto on my shelf, and to save you a little time in envisioning what they'd look like.. I put one on to my Hyper 821 for you. I used all the factory hand guard hardware, and while it isn't 100% into place, it's pretty close.

D4S_4633 by Zibbit U2, on Flickr

They provide no more protection than the factory setup.. as a matter of fact, the factory setup is more robust.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Fantastic pics. Thank you both for the detailed and useful replies. I think I'm going with the Barkbusters and their sturdier mounting system. I'll just have to live w/ the exposed notch and deal with the mirrors later. I'll post an update when I finish the install. Ride safe and don't screw with compression settings near inclined driveways!

·
Registered
663 Posts
Fantastic pics. Thank you both for the detailed and useful replies. I think I'm going with the Barkbusters and their sturdier mounting system. I'll just have to live w/ the exposed notch and deal with the mirrors later. I'll post an update when I finish the install. Ride safe and don't screw with compression settings near inclined driveways!
Haha good advice.

Re the notch, it doesn't bother me but then there's a scuff at that end of my handlebar anyway (you can just see it in the pic, came from a drop by the previous owner). Another thing that's there but doesn't bother me: the spine doesn't sit 100% flush with the end of the bar, probably as the bend of the Hyper bar isn't quite the same as on the Super Duke. It's obvious if you look close, but doesn't affect the sturdiness of the fit at all.

·
Registered
665 Posts
I don't know if many of you know that the Handguards on the 939 bikes are all plastic, flemsy and weak, the Ducati Performance Handguards are made out of metal and plastic, but the price is steep
Ducati part # 96280131A

·
Registered
134 Posts
I don't know if many of you know that the Handguards on the 939 bikes are all plastic, flemsy and weak, the Ducati Performance Handguards are made out of metal and plastic, but the price is steep
Ducati part # 96280131A
I know my 821 came with shitty all plastic handguards.. hence why I put the DP handguards on the bike. But from what I could tell it looked like the newer 939's came with the DP handguards from factory... I guess I was wrong.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I checked with Ducati about the DP guards & was told the brace isnt metal, its plastic.

Is it safe to assume the Rottweiller flip arrow mirros are ok to be fixed to the stock 821 plastic guards?

·
Registered
134 Posts
The DP Racing Handguards that I installed (p/n 96280131A) have a aluminum center rib (they call it a "hand guard arc" in the instructions), and the only plastic on them surrounds the LED turn signal assemblies. The part and instructions are found here: DP Racing Handguards

I'm hoping Ducati hasn't changed the design to incorporate plastic instead of the aluminum "hand guard arc". That would be a serious failure on their behalf, especially because they're still charging almost $500 USD for the part.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Not a 939, but my 1100 has a notched handlebar and the Barkbusters alloy spine fit with no problems:

It's an expanding plug in the bar end, long enough that the notch doesn't matter. I used a kit made for a 1290 Super Duke since it has a similar taper to the 1100 - 28mm tapering to 22mm - and also has radial MC's so I knew the mounting bracket would go far enough out to accommodate them.
That looks like a great setup.
Are the mirrors/indicators the DP stalks, part number: 96987208B
And what is the part number or details of the bark buster so I can look it up?

Thanks
David

·
Registered
663 Posts
That looks like a great setup.
Are the mirrors/indicators the DP stalks, part number: 96987208B
And what is the part number or details of the bark buster so I can look it up?

Thanks
David
The mirrors came with the bike so I couldn't tell you the part number, but they certainly look like the 96987208B ones.

The handguard brace is Barkbusters BHG-054 (model-specific kid forKTM 1290 Super Duke R). Once fitted, it will take pretty much any of the Barkbusters plastic or carbon handguards.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts