Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after only 152 miles, my new 2018 Multi fell over in my Grandma's driveway. It broke the cheap, flimsy, piece of crap handguards. I have another on order for 75 bucks. Then it will be getting barkbusters.

What is the best glue for holding these together until the replacements get here? The break isn't very pretty.
:crying:

·
Premium Member
4,329 Posts
Well, after only 152 miles, my new 2018 Multi fell over in my Grandma's driveway. It broke the cheap, flimsy, piece of crap handguards. I have another on order for 75 bucks. Then it will be getting barkbusters.

What is the best glue for holding these together until the replacements get here? The break isn't very pretty.
They're definitely cheap... in every way but replacement cost. :)

My left guard (which has never had any impacts against it) broke at the clutch reservoir attachment point (presumably because the reservoir bouncing around like a bobblehead doll work hardened the plastic and caused it to fracture). I tried a couple adhesives and nothing held for even a week... so if you find something please let us know!

Reactions: suruppak

·
North Carolina, USA
3,320 Posts
Duct tape. Not kidding. Looks like crap, but certainly a reliable temporary fix.

'Never leave home without it'

·
Registered
344 Posts
Yes the handguards are weak and everyone should fit Barkbuters ASAP. The good thing is the very expensive LED turn signals don't break. I totaled my '15 MTS hitting a car that turned left in front of me. Both handguars broke but the turn signals were intact.

·
Registered
3,978 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004DFHSM6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Plast-aid ; not cheap, but it works well. Broke a mirror at the base on my ST2. With finesse, this stuff fixed it -- you cannot see the repair, and it's holding like new.

On yours, you'll probably see the seam, but this stuff melts into the plastic, and bonds it.
For some repairs, you don't even need to mix the pellets. Just the activator liquid to make ur plastic bond to the other piece.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I tried various super glues, and plastic epoxies, and none of them worked. I ended up trying the JB KwikWeld, and it is currently working! It was the most difficult to use because of the long setup times, but it is holding fine, it is just very ugly because I used a ton of it. It looks like it will work until the replacement gets here, then I'll put on barkbusters and hopefully won't have to worry about it in the future.

·
Registered
506 Posts
I tried various super glues, and plastic epoxies, and none of them worked. I ended up trying the JB KwikWeld, and it is currently working! It was the most difficult to use because of the long setup times, but it is holding fine, it is just very ugly because I used a ton of it. It looks like it will work until the replacement gets here, then I'll put on barkbusters and hopefully won't have to worry about it in the future.
JB Kwik sets up in about 5/6 minutes. The regular JB takes much longer and can be a pain. It's a tad stronger though.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well, it said 6 minutes, but after six minutes it was not hard enough to hold the pieces firmly enough in place, so I had to continue to hold them. It was broken in three pieces and the shape is weird enough I couldn't achieve a setup that would hold the pieces in place for me while the stuff set. I eventually did it one piece at a time and just held it for 15 minutes or so each. Then after they set up overnight I wrapped them in duct tape for some extra support.

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Well, Dave called it. My fix didn't last two weeks; the JB Kwik Weld has broken at one of the fix points. Luckily it lasted until the replacement hand guard arrived.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi I had same incident and dropped bike in parking lot and broke the right plastic hand guard. The Duc dealer quoted 620 so was curious where you are getting your replacement for 75. Any help would be greatly appreciated. My led blinkers are fine and not damaged

1 - 15 of 15 Posts