Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone ever set these up so they are always on and flash off and on when signalling? I did some searches and didn't see anything but it is an idea that interests me. I have Barkbuster guards on my bike and was thinking about adding some small lights to them just to make a nice wide profile or triangle to help make me more visible... and with the lights sitting right there already I got this idea. A buddy of mine (smarter than me) stated the same idea after 2 minutes of looking at the bike.

·
Registered
31 Posts
thought the same thing nearly since I got the bike 2 yrs ago. just waiting for someone to figure it out. thanks for having more initiative than I apparently have and at least asking.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Not remotely legal in this country so never tried.

·
Super Moderator
8,214 Posts
Should be easy enough to do.. Legality will differ from country to country, but electrically it should be easy.

Google "How to turn turnsignals into runninglights". I looked at it and decided that its possible using existing suppliers solid state stuff.. Just need a basic knowledge of vehicle electronics really.

Not sure if you need to fool the canbus since that might be a hurdle in causing a fault otherwise.

I decided on cree drls from bikevis on sw motech mounts instead.
http://www.bikevis.com/motorcycle-cree-led-running-lights.html

Maybe Signaldynamics.com have something? I´ve heard lost of good about there modules.

·
Super Moderator
8,214 Posts
On second thought.. Will the stock LED handle the heat? Not sure.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting! Thanks very much for this info. I'm wondering now if extra LEDs mounted on the Barkbuster guards would be the best call since finding out the stock LEDs or mounting can't take the heat could be rather costly. :)

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Davemon,
You may like to look here: http://www.ducati.ms/forums/44-multistrada/107963-mts1200-bark-busters-fitted-std-handguards-bolted.html

This is just fitting the standard indicators to Barkbusters but it makes for a strong and neat install.

IMHO if you could get the indicator LEDs to stay on like running lights there is zero chance they would overheat. I think they are "normal" ultrabright LEDs and don't put out much heat. If they were Crees or some of the new LEDs used for spot and headlights then you will have a heat issue.

I think the wiring would be pretty simple to reverse the lighting but the CANBUS is the main issue. Not insurmountable but as I said, Not legal in OZ so I have not put any thought.

As you suggest there are any number of stick-on bright, flexible LED strips in a range of colours that could be used and powered from the GPS feed that would work and are easy to get.

I have often thought of putting a switched set of flashing red and blue LED strips on the front fairing of my bike to get knuckleheads doing 20km under the speed limit in the right hand lane out of the way but it would get you adverse attention from the constabulary. :(

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
...I have often thought of putting a switched set of flashing red and blue LED strips on the front fairing of my bike to get knuckleheads doing 20km under the speed limit in the right hand lane out of the way...
+1 indeed - very tempting :D

My mate's late model Fireblade has a white LED in each mirror that I think looks good in my rear view mirror, and it certainly helps make the bike look wider and generally more visible. Especially since the blade only has one light on at a time. It shouldn't be too hard to rig up a similar running light on the multi.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Kitesurfer,
If you want to have a go I know just the thing.

I have a generic off-road bike LED munberplate light stuck on my sidecover. It is wired to my Scorpio alarm and it flashes bright white when the alarm arms. This feature is usually wired to the indicators but I decided not to do this in case it upset the CANBUS.

These things are light, waterproof, rated to run full time and are quite bright. they also moulded into a flexible rubber-like long mount that is at an angle and should provide perfect alignment if stuck onto the handguards below the indicators. The one I bought cost me maybe $14.
Like this:

You could drill into the handguard and run the wiring to the GPS power feed or headlight feed.

What about these:

They would have the cops get the rule book out for a good read. :)

I am sure they would be legal in Oz if you ran them white but the colour changing modes would be "interesting"

·
Super Moderator
8,214 Posts
The stock led's should be able to handle the heat. Neat solution if the local laws permit amber runninglights.
Sweden only permit white or yellow main and runninglights, so no go for me.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Kitesurfer,
If you want to have a go I know just the thing.

I have a generic off-road bike LED munberplate light stuck on my sidecover. It is wired to my Scorpio alarm and it flashes bright white when the alarm arms. This feature is usually wired to the indicators but I decided not to do this in case it upset the CANBUS.

These things are light, waterproof, rated to run full time and are quite bright. they also moulded into a flexible rubber-like long mount that is at an angle and should provide perfect alignment if stuck onto the handguards below the indicators. The one I bought cost me maybe $14.
Like this:

You could drill into the handguard and run the wiring to the GPS power feed or headlight feed.

What about these:

AEx-RGBx RGB LED Angel Eye Accent Light Kit with IR Remote by superbrightleds.com - YouTube

They would have the cops get the rule book out for a good read. :)

I am sure they would be legal in Oz if you ran them white but the colour changing modes would be "interesting"
Thanx for the link Timoz, I'm thinking of using the FALM series either the white or amber to replace the front fork reflectors. They're only 5 dollars each.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Got a response from signaldynamics. They say that the Tristar XP could be used for this up front, just dont connect the brake wire!
Signal Dynamics | Signal Dynamics Corporation 1-800-785-1814 | Motorcycle Safety Lights | Break Light Signal Module | Motorcycle LED Lighting | Signal Dynamics - Creator of BackOFF

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Motorcycle.com App
I think this would work. The turn signals on the multi work thru the ecu, it gets inputs right or left and outputs to the leds, the turn signal wiring is not connected to the canbus wiring. The canbus wiring allows the different ecu's to communicate.

·
Registered
545 Posts
MotoScience mirrors have modules that switch all the leds together and I believe you can wire it to keep them on ad runners. I have modules if anyone wants them. $25 shipped

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

1 - 16 of 16 Posts