Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips on replacing hand grips on 796 ? I remember as a kid doing on a bicycle and it was a pain in th a$$

·
Registered
307 Posts
Super easy man....here's what you do.

Get a long long {10 inch long} small edge flat blade screw driver and a can of WD-40.

Remove both bar ends...or brush guard thingy from both sides. Take the long screwdriver and stick it in between the grip and the bar or between the grip and the throttle. As you are pushing aim the screwdriver handle UP a little so you don't poke holes in the grip. You can only push the screwdriver in about three inches at first because of the glue. Then GENTLY lift up on the screwdriver handle just enough to stick in that red nozzle tube on the WD-40 and squirt it good. Then manuver the screwdriver around the grip about a quarter turn....and squirt it again. Now you can push the screwdriver all the way in. Repeat the above steps until you can rotate the grip off by hand. Wipe off the throttle and the bar until it's clean.

To install the new grips....take a rag soaked with gas and wet the bar. The new grip will slide right on now. Don't worry about if it seems loose. The gas evaporates in a half hour and that grip will be as tight on there as if you used glue.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
lift the grip edge a bit with a screwdriver or plastic tool, spray some brake cleaner in the gap and it will come off with ease. For mounting, spray the inside of the new grips with brake cleaner. This will allow you to easily mount the new grips before the cleaner evaporates.

Don't use WD-40, WD-40 will stay and not evaporate.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Lift the edge as mentioned above and use a compressor with a balloon-filling nozzle to "inflate" the grip. It will come right off and you won't have any chemicals to clean up.

·
Premium Member
2,436 Posts
It's not as hard as you remember, both of the above methods work well, I use the WD 40 myself..
Should not take more than 1/2 hour start to finish.

·
Registered
72 Posts
I just replaced mine with a set of Spider peak grips (highly recommend them). Used an air compressor to remove the old ones. Came off pretty easy. I'm old school and use Rubber Cement to mount the new grips. Using nothing or brake cleaner and the clutch side will always start to spin after time. Rubber cement cleans up super easy also for future replacement. If all else fails a razor blade will remove a grip in a split second ;)

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
757 Posts
There are a ton of ways to install the grips. Here's another one and this is used on golf clubs. Clean the bar well then apply double sided tape (carpet ones are good) then pour some paint thinner on the inside of the grip so it's nice and wet. Pour some on the tape as well. This will slightly dissolve and make the grip slippery. Insert and position right away. Leave overnight and it won't budge again. Removal may need patience using what seven9six suggested.

·
Registered
757 Posts
just don't drip any paint thinner on your bike :D
Wouldn't do a thing Drinky. Brake cleaners might actually have much more negative effect to paint than paint thinner. Lacquer thinner is another story though.

·
Registered
718 Posts
WD40 is the best to put on grips!!!!!!

nothing works better.
and i have a dollar is anybody can tell me what WD40 stands for,i know!!

·
Registered
210 Posts
I used to own a bicycle shop, and I've installed thousands of grips. I used compressed air to remove and install them. If they were tough, then hairspray worked to loosen them up a bit, but compressed air using a rubber blow tip works in seconds every time.

·
Registered
52 Posts
WD40 is the best to put on grips!!!!!!

nothing works better.
and i have a dollar is anybody can tell me what WD40 stands for,i know!!
Water displacement formula #40.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
309 Posts
Water displacement formula #40.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app
+1 Formulated for the military during WWII to try and keep weapons, equipment, and electronics dry for the battles on the pacific ocean. It uses primarily fish oils. It also works super bad ass to attract halibut to your bait. Just spray your bait before tossing your line overboard and if theres a halibut down there you'll get it.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Coat the inside of the grip with hair spray, slide on, let dry, done.
+1. Doing this for years, both street and dirt, only way to go.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
757 Posts
One procedure, a million different solutions. :D

I wouldn't use hair spray on mine just because I know it's water soluble. If you ride in the rain then you run the risk of it eventually loosening up on you. I've tried that on my DH mountain bike and it didn't work for me. Not saying it won't work for everyone else but it's not for me. As for WD40, I agree that it would leave an oily film in there ....unless it actually reacts with the rubber and somehow becomes something sticky in there.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts