Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Half-helmets - what one can I purchase that is safe and doesn't evoke "lollipop head"

On the highway, I am using a ROOF Boxer V modular.

I am looking at the Davida Speedsters for a summer, around town helmet, as I've heard that they fit really well and don't tend to give riders that lollipop head look.

Does anyone else have any recommendations for a nice half helmet that isn't enormous? I am a size LARGE now, and don't want to overaccentuate my huge noggin' anymore than necessary.

Cheers,
Daniel

·
Registered
126 Posts
They may be hotter in the summer but I wouldn' ride with anything but a full face helmet, even around town. Just my opinion, but I've seen what a friend looked like after an in town face plant with a 1/2 helmet, not a pretty picture.

·
Premium Member
12,237 Posts
I've been wearing 1/2 helmets for 20+ years. Just sold my 2003 Electra Glide H-D and the buyer wanted because it matched the Bike (same stripes) I told him I would sell it to him for replacement cost of a new 1/2 helmet .I looked at the multi brand bike dealers store $69 .May as well get the cheapest one you can find for all the Protection it offers you. Bought my first full face last year when I bought my Hypermotard and it is the only one I will wear.Looking to buy a very good one lots of $$$..When I am informed well enough ...Your brain does not heal , head injuries are nasty...I don't mean to preach

·
Registered
724 Posts
Half helmets only protect half of your head. If you can live with half a head, go ahead and get one. All I wear is full face. I had two nasty falls with full face helmets on and I am still here... the helmets were pretty messed up (one Simpson and one HJC). I wore a half helmet when I rode my cruiser... after a pebble to the upper lip, I went back to full face.

I cringe when I see the Harley guys down here with just their "magical" bandanas on...brrrr.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Look at a Fulmer V2, while not a 1/2 it is a 3/4 I find it to be very comfortable, quiet, and most of all you don't look like the Great Gazoo

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I'm with CU3RVO. I've gone down with a full face helmet on the street. The underside of the chin bar was seriously ground down. With even a 3/4 helmet, much of my chin would have been ground off.

I would prefer to keep it as is.

·
Registered
1,328 Posts
Anything less than a full face helmet is less than full face protection.... but hey if you like the look....go ahead.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Yea they say the majority of the time people will impact on the left ,and right chin areas. For a long time I didn't wear a helmet at all, but now I wear a full face helmet every time I go out.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
On the highway, I am using a ROOF Boxer V modular.

I am looking at the Davida Speedsters for a summer, around town helmet, as I've heard that they fit really well and don't tend to give riders that lollipop head look.

Does anyone else have any recommendations for a nice half helmet that isn't enormous? I am a size LARGE now, and don't want to overaccentuate my huge noggin' anymore than necessary.

Cheers,
Daniel
Davida Speedster is the way to go!

Best fitting helmet i ever had and keeps the flies out… :D

I have the feeling that with an open face helmet i pay more attention to my surrounding…
You see more, especially concerning the dead angle, and you feel the speed in your face.

When i am driving in town, i prefer the open face helmet!

·
Registered
81 Posts
I use a AGV Dragon at times and really like it,you are aware of more things around you,and can hear everything going on around you with a 3/4 helmet,but it does make the noggin look a tad large.

·
Registered
724 Posts
I'm with CU3RVO. I've gone down with a full face helmet on the street. The underside of the chin bar was seriously ground down. With even a 3/4 helmet, much of my chin would have been ground off.

I would prefer to keep it as is.
I failed to mention that on january 14 of this year I low sided my SC. We were run off the road by a road rager in a car. He kept going, and we never saw him again. Witnesses saw the car leave but no tag... It was at night.

Anyway, when I low sided, the first thing that hit the ground was my right leg followed by my head. I remember the impact, which rattled my bones... and it dazed me a bit. when I took off my full face helmet (HJC) the whole chin and right face area was deeply scratched. I can honestly say that I would not be here today telling you this if I was wearing a 1/2 helmet. I am not praying on helmet safety, to each it's own. But I will always wear a full face. I am the proof!:)

·
Registered
246 Posts
I have yet to go down *knock on wood* but wear a full face helmet (Arai Corsair RX7). My helmet has good venting, it's light and strong and if I want some wind in my face I can wear sunglasses and flip the visor up. The stats say that if/when you go down the chin is one of the places most at risk and I prefer to keep my jaw intact.

However we all know that the act of riding a motorcycle is all about how much risk you are willing to accept; so to each his own. For example, I've accepted that fact that right now I don't have a good set of riding pants with armor. I know if I go down my legs/butt are going to get chewed (I do have good gloves, helmet and armored leather jacket). I willingly put myself at risk by riding without that piece of gear.

I do like the Davida helmets though. What about a good flip up style helmet?

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
That's a great option if the chin bar really provides protection. I hadn't seen that Schubert model before.

Schubert doesn't bring all its models into the U.S., so I'm not sure that one is available here.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
That's a great option if the chin bar really provides protection. I hadn't seen that Schubert model before.

Schubert doesn't bring all its models into the U.S., so I'm not sure that one is available here.
I was testing this model at a nearby dealer and it is easy to handle… they claimed that the chin bar offers full protection and is extremely crash proof.

Vision is very good…

Here the english website http://www.schuberth.com/index.php?id=22&L=1

Review http://www.webbikeworld.com/schuberth-j1/

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
Even if the racing organizations allowed 1/2 helmets, I'd continue wearing a full face helmet. I ain't good looking, but I gotta' keep what I got!

·
Registered
424 Posts
I went down on my 1ks over a year ago, got caught wide in the gravel after a rain storm. I was wearing a David Classic. Phil Read replica. Fortunately, I only hit the side of my head but I was wearing full armor inserts on the hips and knees. Those leg areas took most of the fall, thanks to BMW's summer pant with protection I bounced right back up, dazed but OK. I waffled back and forth as I wear usually the full face Arai RX7.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts