Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I road the 999r hard Sat. morning for about 120 miles. On a long "down hill" "backed off" section coming into Paris, it died. Then it re-started. off/on off on.. then stayed on or 1/2 on I should say. I continued on thinking maybe I am low on gas. In town, I fill up only to find I still had half a tank. I leave town and continue toward my destination. Fayetteville, AR the University and my daughter's graduation from Law School. I am in that "must get there at all cost" mind set. I think, hmm maybe I got some bad gas. Water maybe , so I stop at a drug store, buy a pint bottle of rubbing alcohol to pour in the tank and absorb the possible water. Hey! I am running more on two than one. but alas, it was short lived and I am back to one cylinder. I wonder if I could abandon and rent a car in this burg of 5000? I have one and a half hours to travel 90 miles. I press on and decide to jump on the interstate. I can do 85 on the flats and 60 up hill at about 6500 rpm on one cylinder. The temperature shows 160. It had been 208 earlier that morning during the two cylinder thrashing. I hope, as I am pressing on, that the problem is a lack of fuel to the dead cylinder and not lack of ignition. I wouldn't want to be pumping gas in it without firing it. There were split seconds during the next 90 miles when the bike would die completely, but restart, at, It seemed less than 1 cylinder, then pick up to a full 1. I made it to graduation in time, changed clothes in the parking lot, met the wife at the door and dashed in. As I sat there and listened to that "let's make a positive difference in the world" lawyer bull-shat, I thought why did I feel the need to get here so desperately? I left the bike in my daughter's garage and rode home with the wife. I wish I had looked at the bike more while I was there. The dying seemed like gas starvation as the throttle positioning seemed to precede the death. If I really opened it up on one, it would only pick up at its own pace. What thinkest thou O Ducatisi?
Wendell

·
Registered
37 Posts
The problem is intermittent. I would guess that it is electrical and probably a bad connection or a coil. There are several threads that discuss trouble shooting and the solutions on this site.

The biggest concern is the one you already mentioned; that of cylinder washing. Might want to start off by checking your oil for the presence of fuel. Not sure how to do that except by smell. If yes, change to fresh oil. No need to change filters other than making sure the filter oil is emptied out.

PLease keep us posted.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts