Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
I would mark the end of the cracks at the top side of the triple. Replace the triple if they become larger!

·
Registered
1,284 Posts
It was probably overtightened. I'd take the clamp bolt out and see if it cracked all the way through. It could probably be welded but a new/used clamp would likely cost less.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
Hey guys,
Just noticed I have a hairline crack in my triple clamp... should I be worried about it?
Holy torque wrench! Absolutely be worried, and replace immediately. :eek:

And from the looks of that metal failure and the adjacent incorrect bolt selection, its a clear evidence of a Quarter-Turn Tony shade tree mechanic who worked on the bike previously. I'd check every engine, frame, wheel, brake, suspension and swingarm fastener on the machine against the shop manual's torque specs. Over-tight or under are both not so good...

·
Registered
1,359 Posts
You'll be fine if you never ride it faster than 25 mph.

t_bare

·
Registered
853 Posts
That bolt located directly below the cracks supplies the clamping force for the connection to the steering stem. The cracks were definitely caused by excessive torque on the bolt. So now, there's an inadequate (indeterminable) connection being made. Replace the triple clamp.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Hey guys,
Just noticed I have a hairline crack in my triple clamp... should I be worried about it?
Holy torque wrench! Absolutely be worried, and replace immediately.

And from the looks of that metal failure and the adjacent incorrect bolt selection, its a clear evidence of a Quarter-Turn Tony shade tree mechanic who worked on the bike previously. I'd check every engine, frame, wheel, brake, suspension and swingarm fastener on the machine against the shop manual's torque specs. Over-tight or under are both not so good...
Ok got a used triple clamp and seapped it out. Tightened to 123 in per pound i believe thats same as 14nm can anyone confirm?
Thank u

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hey guys,
Holy torque wrench! Absolutely be worried, and replace immediately.

One more question, what do u mean incorrect bolt selection? Thanks

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Hey, thanks for reply. I hot a used one and torqued it to 123 in per lb, it seems like that was barely tight. Can anyone confirm this?
Thanks again

Cannot confirm the exact figure but, it's a pinch bolt. That is an entirely different application (much lower torque/clamping) than one that is clamping solid pieces. 10 and a bit lb/ft is probably right.

Reactions: xracer

·
Premium Member
5,151 Posts
They are pinch bolts and DO NOT NEED lots of torque. A mistake made by sooo many people. And on the steering nut it just need to be nipped up.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
They are pinch bolts and DO NOT NEED lots of torque. A mistake made by sooo many people. And on the steering nut it just need to be nipped up.
Awesome, then it should be correct. I did maybe just a little more than 10ftlb or 123 in/lb or 14nm

Triple clamp installed, live to ride another day.

Thanks everyone once again.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts