Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

Who will be crowned 2009 World Superbike Champion at Portimao?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For the majority of this 2009 World Superbike season, Xerox Ducati’s Noriyuki Haga has led the Championship despite the best efforts of rookie sensation and MotoGP bound, Ben Spies. The American has won half of the races so far but finds himself with a 10 point deficit to Haga with the final showdown in Portimao, Portugal only days away. Will Haga prevail and take the top spot in the series after previously finishing 2nd or 3rd 6 times since 2000? And will the 5 points his teammate, Michel Fabrizio, took off him in Imola turn out to be crucial in the final analysis? Details here.

·
Registered
2,549 Posts
I'm going with Haga....I think the stars have aligned for him finally. To wreck like he did and not lose any significant ground in the championship was pure luck since it happened just before the summer break + you gotta give him props for coming back from the injuries to ride as well as he has. I don't have a problem if Spies wins either since I think he is an excellent rider not too mention from the good ole USA. Its kind of a win win deal for us Ducati/USA race fans.

·
Premium Member
2,655 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
As my article reports, Fabrizio said he would help Haga once he was out of contention and he said that before Imola
I didn't read your article (I never do), but the only way Fabio could "help" Haga is if he wins both races, and Haga is slower than him and Spies. Not bloody likely.

Fabio can be the most help by just staying out of it altogether and let the true fast guys decide it between themselves...

·
Registered
255 Posts
No matter who wins it will be a deserving champion. Both guys haver put in a hell of a show and overcome some adversity to get here.

·
Registered
630 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Well, tomorrow is the beginning of the end.:( The way I see it, is that Ben has been in 100% physical condition all season, and "should be" leading. Haga has also suffered his fair share of drama and injury to balance the playing field. However, He has fought his way back to regain the lead. He won't give up now!! Haga has come up short so many times on the yamaha and "should have been" a few times, I think the curse is now Ben's to burden! We have been here before my friends, it's not nori--it's yamaha!!:D who ever wins, i just hope it's clean and doesn't leave any doubt or questions of the end result. Here's to a great season and the chance to witness Haga's first title, or yamaha's- either way it will go down in history!!! Anyone know the weather forecast:confused:

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
odds are in Haga's favor... but then again he has a LONG LONG history of letting the title get away.
I have to say Spies is going to take it partly because I really want to see him win and partly because in a heads up race I really think that Spies is the faster guy. This track on paper doesnt look like it is going to favor one bike more than the other esp is the factory comes though with a little more top end power for Haga. Either way I think we see Ben championship experiance come though and he will gut out the double on will alone :)

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
I predict I am going to have a bunch of motorcycle buddies over, we will drink beer and have a fantastic time, watch two incredible races, witness a thrilling season come to a close, and see a champion earn his crown. We will finish by watching the GP race. A great time will be had by all, and we will re-live the season in conversation throughout the winter.

·
9,757 Posts
I predict I am going to have a bunch of motorcycle buddies over, we will drink beer and have a fantastic time, watch two incredible races, witness a thrilling season come to a close, and see a champion earn his crown. We will finish by watching the GP race. A great time will be had by all, and we will re-live the season in conversation throughout the winter.
I predict that a few guys will actually watch the races and know what they are talking about, and a few others will just read about them online, then we'll all get in to a big shit fest here in the roadracing forum and impose our opinions on eachother :)

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

·
Registered
447 Posts
Question is what happens if Ben gets torpedoed AGAIN?

·
Registered
1,255 Posts
Question is what happens if Ben gets torpedoed AGAIN?
uuhhhmm Haga will win the Championship???:D j/k

that will suck for everyone if either Haga or Spies doesnt get to race thier race... I think that at this point Spies is still owed a little debt by his friend karma... (It was almost repaid, but then Fabrizio took him out) But I would rather see a heads up race than someone lose because of out side forces whether that be mechanical or other.
Hopfully both these guys get a good set up and a clean break.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts