Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was headin out to a nice Korean BBQ lunch today in Monterey Park. Taking the 10 Freeway out there. About 10 min on the freeway started to notice my bike was sputtering a little bit, kept on riding knowing i had a full tank and everything should be good. about a half mile later, bike went into some sort of error/limp mode.

bike died out, started, died out, started..... etc. finally it died out completely and the display was throwing up random codes.

Ended up in the middle of the 12 lane freeway on a 4ft wide strip next to the median. scared out of my mind with 80mph cars flying by, i frantically tried to get my bike to start.

After a few tries, it fired up. I got going trying to get out of the danger of traffic. Got up to about 45-50mph and it happened again.

At this point i had only made it across two of the 6 lanes. With a powerless bike i panicked trying to get over to the semi safe side of the freeway.

I finally made it to the triangle between where an on ramp met the freeway. I was able to push my bike back down the on ramp and to a gas station.

Called Ducati Road Side and had the bike towed. Currently the bike is over at Beverly Hills Ducati getting checked out.

Sorry for the rant, been a stressful day. Hope all is ok with my baby. Any ideas what it could be?

Thanks,
-Jeremy

·
Registered
1,269 Posts
Could be as simple as a loose battery cable. Happy to see you made it off the highway safely.

My Hyper stalled once as I was going through an intersection. That scared the crap out of me but it started right back up. My stalling issues were nothing like what you described though.

·
Registered
730 Posts
+1 for loose wiring here.
My hyper came to me new with a stripped grounding wire on the front of the ecu that would lose power intermittently.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Whew! Glad to hear that you got off the freeway in one piece. My office is in Santa Monica, so if you get stranded, I can try to help out next time. GL.

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
bummer

Sorry to hear about the hyper and I understand your desire to get out of the middle but, based on your story, your damn lucky to be alive.

#1, I wasn't there but I might have tried to get the bike running and then ran the median to see if I could get it to freeway speed.

1a, if I could get it up to freeway speed, 80mph, I then would try to get off the road
2a, if I couldn't get it up to speed or at speed for long enough, I would have stayed in the middle.

#2, if stuck in the middle, i would have parked the bike and jumped the barrier so I could watch the oncoming traffic or just sat on the barrier. If it was a wide median, i would have walked away from the bike and traffic. Drivers love target fixation.

#3, call for help or try to find one of the boxes that sometimes are located on the median in urban areas. Police or tow truck can pick you up in the median

Anyway, I wasn't there but your story sounds like it could have been a lot, lot worse and it seemed very, very foolish to take a gimped bike across 6 lanes of freeway traffic.

The thought of stalling in Lane 4 is unimaginable!!!!!!

·
Registered
513 Posts
The symptoms you speak of could occur when power is cut from the fuel pump. An intermittent connection/plug would allow the pump to build up pressure which will keep you going for a bit until pressure is exhausted.

·
Registered
346 Posts
For sure you had a problem with the battery wires.
It happened to me as well when the bike had around 2.000 miles.
20% of the members of the italian Hypermotard forum (www.hypermotardclub.it) had the same problem (total members 1900).
So I'm wondering why so many Hypers have had the battery cables come loose?
Is it because the battery itself vibrates around with the (afterthought) clamp
mechanism? I noticed that the battery on mine wasn't very secure about one
year ago, and messed with it a bit. I slid a piece of high density black foam
rubber under the battery and added some spacers in the top clamping bar
to "set" the battery firmly against the base. Seems to be OK. I think those
elastic rubber hold-down straps that are used on other bikes and watercraft
would be better/simpler, although they need replacement every so many years.

For guys with Power Commander units mounted to the side of the battery,
there is a risk of the PC III vibrating against the rear subframe if the the
battery is not really secured. Pounding on electronic devices is generally
not great for their service life...

·
Registered
605 Posts
I cleaned everything up with contact cleaner and layed a bead of silicone in there, bonding the battery in place (temporarily). did the same with the clamp on the top of the battery. NO movement, NO road dirt/debris between the battery and tank to wear a hole in the tank, and it can be eaisly pulled free for tank removal.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Could be as simple as a loose battery cable. Happy to see you made it off the highway safely.

My Hyper stalled once as I was going through an intersection. That scared the crap out of me but it started right back up. My stalling issues were nothing like what you described though.
That sucks, glad you are all right.
Whew! Glad to hear that you got off the freeway in one piece. My office is in Santa Monica, so if you get stranded, I can try to help out next time. GL.

Thanks guys, yea i just can remember when my bike died the second time, this is probably how im going to have my first street crash. Not a good feeling at all. im glad im staying free of that.... "KNOCK ON MY WOOD BED FRAME!!"

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Sorry to hear about the hyper and I understand your desire to get out of the middle but, based on your story, your damn lucky to be alive.

#1, I wasn't there but I might have tried to get the bike running and then ran the median to see if I could get it to freeway speed.

1a, if I could get it up to freeway speed, 80mph, I then would try to get off the road
2a, if I couldn't get it up to speed or at speed for long enough, I would have stayed in the middle.

#2, if stuck in the middle, i would have parked the bike and jumped the barrier so I could watch the oncoming traffic or just sat on the barrier. If it was a wide median, i would have walked away from the bike and traffic. Drivers love target fixation.

#3, call for help or try to find one of the boxes that sometimes are located on the median in urban areas. Police or tow truck can pick you up in the median

Anyway, I wasn't there but your story sounds like it could have been a lot, lot worse and it seemed very, very foolish to take a gimped bike across 6 lanes of freeway traffic.

The thought of stalling in Lane 4 is unimaginable!!!!!!
1. yea i probably should have but i was being stupid and worrying about my tires getting popped by debris. I got up to about 35mph and figured, ok im going for it.

2. i would have done that but in that circumstance the other side of the median was even less room to another 6 lanes of freeway and cars going to opposite way.

3.once i was able to get to the off ramp. that was the first thing i did.

But i do understand... under different circumstances i would have definetaly reacted in a different way.. but i felt like i had less than 2 min before someone came and side swiped me at full speed.

·
Ducati Acolyte
819 Posts
So I'm wondering why so many Hypers have had the battery cables come loose?
Is it because the battery itself vibrates around with the (afterthought) clamp
mechanism? I noticed that the battery on mine wasn't very secure about one
year ago, and messed with it a bit. I slid a piece of high density black foam
rubber under the battery and added some spacers in the top clamping bar
to "set" the battery firmly against the base. Seems to be OK. I think those
elastic rubber hold-down straps that are used on other bikes and watercraft
would be better/simpler, although they need replacement every so many years.

For guys with Power Commander units mounted to the side of the battery,
there is a risk of the PC III vibrating against the rear subframe if the the
battery is not really secured. Pounding on electronic devices is generally
not great for their service life...
interesting that you should mention about the loose battery. That was the only recall that I'm aware of directed by that US road safety organisation (NSHTA, I think is the acronym?) and that was to correct the loose battery problem on specific Hyper model series run.

·
Registered
31 Posts
The recall was related to the bracket that didn't block the battery in its position: I think the cables come loose due to vibrations.
The only solution is to check those cables once in a while.
On some models there was a problem with the plugs (rings) that broke the cables.
I think this happened only on some cable harnesses: on mid 2008 Ducati decided to buy the main harness in India or China (they have 2 suppliers over there) instead of Italy from the standard supplier and the first production batches were non so high quality.
If you find a sticker on the harness in the battery area with the name LaPunta, you have the italian harness (if I remember well the rubber covers of the battery rings must have the same name on it). My Hyper was produced on July 2007 and I have this LaPunta harness.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Same exact thing happened to me, too. I was actually on my way to borrow the Sargent seat from MarksFriggin.

Got it restarted (several times) and made it the last 10 miles, sputtering, off the highway. Took off the seat and sure enough the negative battery cable was loose.

Hope yours is that simple.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just got it back today. sure enough, it was the battery cables. hope to god that doesnt happen again, to me or anyone else.

Thanks for the help guys,
Jeremy

·
Registered
208 Posts
Just got it back today. sure enough, it was the battery cables. hope to god that doesnt happen again, to me or anyone else.

Jeremy
my battery has some velcro attached to the bottom of it and to the gas tank (where is mounts for those of you who havent had it apart). I believe the guys at Hansens in Medford OR did that. These thngs certainly aren't Hondas, that's for sure

·
Registered
605 Posts
Mine had that too. I beleive that is from the factory, and was the original retention method before the bracket was added.

Star washers and dielectric grease on the terminal rings, loctite on the threads, and RTV on the battery should solve the problems.

·
Registered
208 Posts

Jeremy
your 541 number, is that from Ashland?

1 - 20 of 23 Posts