Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

I was taken down in London last night, the ST4s bodywork is a real mess, but the bike looks okay.

But it won't fire up, it spins over nice and quick, and splutter but just doesn't catch.

It was running on its side for a short while but I would have thought boundary lubrication would have keep it safe for that period of time.

Does the ST4s have a bike down switch?

Any and all suggestions welcome.

I walked away with a bruised knee, dislocated thumb and broken finger so got off pretty lightly. :)

Thanks chaps.

Tim

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
Sorry to hear that. Get well.

No Duc has a tip over sensor. Those sensors are known for shutting off the bike when leaning in a corner, not good. If any bike that I own had one, it'd be short circuited in short order.

It could be a pinched line or maybe a blown fuse as they seem to be fragile. What side did it hit? If the left, look at the big connector and see if it is in order. There's nothing under the right side other than the batt and ECU. If you're cranking, those should be good. I'd take both sides off and look at bits with rub marks on them. It could be just normal running or from the incident, but that is where I'd start.

If it ran until it was shut off, then it should start again.

Have a good one.

·
Life is too short to worry !
2,650 Posts
Thats sh*t Tim , hope you recover quickly and get back to enjoying the bike.
I commuted into London for many years before moving North so know exactly what you have to deal with , it survival of the fittest with the quickest wits !

Did you get the bike trailer'd home or did it start and you rode it ?

If it was trailer'd then may be worth letting it sit for a day or two to let everything settle otherwise as Tony says you will need to look at all the connections/fuses etc to see if anything was dislodged in the prang.

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
Sorry to hear about your 'off' Tim, and glad you're in the main ok.
Sidestand switch perhaps ?

·
7,733 Posts
Glad to hear you walked away. :)

Check the crank position sensor. Perhaps the drop effected the gap, or put swarf on it. Pull it, wipe it down, check for damage, refit it. You may need/want to remove the water pump hoses in front of it to ease all the above. That means draining the cooling system. Good luck. :)

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the replies chaps.

Got my finger splinted at the mo, so no chance of getting back on the bike for a couple of weeks.

But I guess that's good - gives me time to source some new panels and get the ST looking pretty again.

The bike was running on its side after the accident, only stopped when I hit the kill switch.

I trailered the bike home, pushed it into the garage and haven't touched it since except trying to start it, unsuccessfully unfortunately. :(

Going to pull the fairings off today and assess the damage underneath, it went down on the left, it spilled coolant but that was about it.

Will report back, but it anyone has a nose, top and bottom fairings that are a bit damaged, but repairable, going cheap please let me know. I think I may go for sating black pro temp but will restore her properly over the summer, but I need to get it all back up and running for my commute.

Thanks guys

Tim

·
Registered
3,806 Posts
It's a very stupid suggestion I know, but you did unswitch the kill switch before trying to start her up ?

I may have a lead on a scuffed up nose fairing in blue. I'll put the feelers out to see if it's still available..

·
Registered
470 Posts
There is one upper fairing on Ebay 170832584018
lower right 270953773302
mid right 120875537238

hope it helps

·
Registered
647 Posts
Sounds like it turns over. Does the fuel pump prime art switch on?

·
Registered
470 Posts
oh crap you wanted left
here is lower left 251039401960
mid left 120875537328

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi all,

I've now narrowed it down to lack of injector pulse on the horizontal cylinder.

i've checked continuity on the connector from ECU to injector and that's fine.

Having checked the voltage on the Vertical cylinder it seems to fluctuate but the horizontal one remains a fixed voltage.

What voltage would you expect at rest measured across the 2 terminals and what voltage when the injector is being triggered?

Is there any Diag' software for the ECU to check if things are actually working of whether the ECU itself is duff?

I did have this non-firing injector problem before, but it seemed to right itself.

Any suggestions welcome.

Thanks

Tim

·
Mr Leakered
8,831 Posts
Yessir. Search ducatidiag in this forum. It is probably on the secomd page as it is a recent topic. It should help you out.

Have a good one.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts