Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK so this winter I was planning synching my throttle bodies and setting the TPS (2001 M900Sie). Just got my Lonelec cables and downloaded GuzziDiag reader, writer, and eprom tool to get the job done. Well I'm not sure if I was expecting too much from the program but i could do very little with it. After looking at some tutorials (Guzzi sites) what I saw was not what what I observed when hooked up to my bike. As one of the tutorials suggested use the reader to read the baseline (stock) map and save it for future reference, I did that. The reader seemed to do what it was supposed to do as I followed the prompts it took about 10 minutes to read and save current map. Since I didn't want or need to write a new map to the ecu I skipped using the writer program. Now this is where I probably went astray and assumed that the eprom tool was the actual diagnostic program which allowed you to see TPS setting in degrees and CO Trim etc. When I opened the program the only option I had READ and WRITE. When I clicked READ it opened another dialog box to save an XPS file. I ended up just backing out of the program thinking why do I want to save another stock map. Since I have the 1.5M ecu is it just that rudimentary that I can't see those values or what's the deal? I went ahead and followed Brad Black's nonlinear TPS procedure and back probed the TPS to get it set. I'm just curious if anyone has any pointers to using this program with the older ecu's. The tutorial I watched I believe the guy was hooked to a 5.9M or 5AM ecu and there were all kind values visible. Thanks in advance.

Cory

·
Excel Addict
2001 900SSie
5,345 Posts
You may as well use the IAW suite of software so you do not have to choose Guzzi model.

IAW Reader is for reading the bin file that is stored in the ECU.
You would only need to use this if you planned on modifying fuel maps or ignition.

Two reasons
- to have a saved copy of the original maps/bin file in case you screw things up.
- to have a bin file that already runs the bike for modifying, in which case you would do that in Tunerpro.

After that Tunerpro modification process, you would then use IAW Writer to write/flash the new map into the ECU.

Things like CO trim are stored in the EEPROM, not the bin file.

If you want to see what is happening then you can hook up the bike to IAW Diag.

As I recall from emails with Meinholf, setting CO trim can only be done when the bike is over 80 Celcius.
The EEPROM tool, if you know how to use it, allows you to manually set a value.
This is done by reading the ECU with the EEPROM tool which will have a .eep file extension.
You can change the file extension from eep to bin and open that file in Tunerpro.
Change the value then save the bin file, preferably with a new name for housekeeping purposes.
Then change the new file's extension from bin to eep, then write that file to the ECU using the EEPROM tool.

Looking at videos for the 59M and 5AM is relatively pointless, but not totally as it will give you an idea of how to use the various bits of software, albeit less extensively for the 15M.

Finally, setting the TPS as per Brad's instructions should be, as you have done, using a voltmeter. IAW Diag is not "sensitive" enough to be used to set degrees at closed throttle.

I recommend you proceed with care as it appears you are doing things without sufficient knowledge.
I have a bit of experience with the 15M, but only dared to use the EEPROM tool after Meinholf wrote concise instructions in an email.
That was to help another Auusie Duc owner undo what had been done to an ECU by someone else.

Reactions: Cowens726

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank both of you for the info. I guess in the research I did I misunderstood what IAWDIAG was and was looking strictly for the software for the 15M. I really don't want to mess with the reader/writer stuff I just thought I needed it. All I was looking for was the diagnostics part to see/verify things were all happy with the ecu. Maybe down the road when I have the facilities and more than one bike I will look at playing around with fuel maps and things like that but for now I just want it as a diagnostic tool. The last thing I want to do smoke the ecu on an old 2001 Monster which is probably worth less than a new ecu for it ha-ha. I appreciate both your quick responses.

Cory

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks

Just an update, I downloaded IAWDIAG this afternoon and that is what I was looking for. I double checked my previous work with the program and the TPS voltage and angle were where they needed to be according to BB's directions. Thanks again for the pointers guys.

Reactions: Punch

·
Premium Member
717 Posts
For IAWDIAG users, with 5.9M ECU, which variation of 59M did you select at IAW Diag Settings box? I have a 2002 ST4s with 5.9M ECU. Options in IAW Diag are: 59M PF09 :: 59M PF3C :: 59M PF1C Looking to figure out which 5.9M to pick for my 2002 ST4s.
Thanks!!!

You may as well use the IAW suite of software so you do not have to choose Guzzi model.

IAW Reader is for reading the bin file that is stored in the ECU.
You would only need to use this if you planned on modifying fuel maps or ignition.

Two reasons
  • to have a saved copy of the original maps/bin file in case you screw things up.
  • to have a bin file that already runs the bike for modifying, in which case you would do that in Tunerpro.
After that Tunerpro modification process, you would then use IAW Writer to write/flash the new map into the ECU.

Things like CO trim are stored in the EEPROM, not the bin file.

If you want to see what is happening then you can hook up the bike to IAW Diag.

As I recall from emails with Meinholf, setting CO trim can only be done when the bike is over 80 Celcius.
The EEPROM tool, if you know how to use it, allows you to manually set a value.
This is done by reading the ECU with the EEPROM tool which will have a .eep file extension.
You can change the file extension from eep to bin and open that file in Tunerpro.
Change the value then save the bin file, preferably with a new name for housekeeping purposes.
Then change the new file's extension from bin to eep, then write that file to the ECU using the EEPROM tool.

Looking at videos for the 59M and 5AM is relatively pointless, but not totally as it will give you an idea of how to use the various bits of software, albeit less extensively for the 15M.

Finally, setting the TPS as per Brad's instructions should be, as you have done, using a voltmeter. IAW Diag is not "sensitive" enough to be used to set degrees at closed throttle.

I recommend you proceed with care as it appears you are doing things without sufficient knowledge.
I have a bit of experience with the 15M, but only dared to use the EEPROM tool after Meinholf wrote concise instructions in an email.
That was to help another Auusie Duc owner undo what had been done to an ECU by someone else.

·
Registered
5 Posts
What setting do you need to set it to to read the Ducati , I’ve used guzzidiag on Rsv4 before think it was set to 7sm

·
Just Visiting Your Planet
10,209 Posts
What setting do you need to set it to to read the Ducati , I’ve used guzzidiag on Rsv4 before think it was set to 7sm
Use IAWDiag instead. Same thing except it's not Guzzi specific. You pick the ECU in a drop down.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts