Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Today I was riding my 2003 999 It was running perfect. The gas light came on and kept riding it for about another 30 miles. I stopped at the grocery store. When I got back on the bike it sounded like it was backfiring and sputtering. I figured it was out of gas.

I walked to the gas station and got a gallon of gas. I put it in the bike and restarted it. It was still spuddering and it would stall when in first gear and i let out on the clutch. I had to put on the choke and and rev it to about 5000 RPMs so it would not die. On the mile drive home it would not go over 35 miles per hour and when i stopped at stop lights it would sputter and backfire. When I got it home I noticed something glowing... Where the muffler pipe connects to the engine it was GLOWING RED!!!!

I dont know what to do!?!

BTW my check engine light DOES NOT come on

·
Registered
3,642 Posts
Sounds like the fuel line vapor locked. If you run the bike dry, the fuel pump has to displace the air that is now occupying the fuel line. The pump will only recirculate fuel through about 6" of the line, which leave another 10" or so of fuel line that has to purge through the injectors. This is causing a super-lean condition that is why your engine is still sputtering and the pipe is glowing. Take it out on an open road and run it WFO for a bit, it'll clear out pretty quick..

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just hope you guys don't think Ill need to take it into the shop and pay $600 dollars to get it fixed. That would be horrible. :eek:

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sounds like the fuel line vapor locked. If you run the bike dry, the fuel pump has to displace the air that is now occupying the fuel line. The pump will only recirculate fuel through about 6" of the line, which leave another 10" or so of fuel line that has to purge through the injectors. This is causing a super-lean condition that is why your engine is still sputtering and the pipe is glowing. Take it out on an open road and run it WFO for a bit, it'll clear out pretty quick..

So I let it cool down. I went out with my friends and just ran the hell out of it. For the first mile or so it was perfect but then after that it started lagging again. I was so upset but I guess I will try it again in the morning and see if it works

·
Registered
125 Posts
you might have something clogged in the filter when it ran dry as well......

jon

·
Registered
938 Posts
Your fuel filter is plugged and needs to be replaced. The reason the pipe was red hot is that the lack of gas is causing the bike to run ultralean. If you continue to run it this lean you're going to do damage (eg. burn a valve).

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
Could also have water in filter if you ran it down that low. Gas is on top of water if you run it low and have accumulated water vapor you may have water in the fiter. My tractor will do this occasionally. Sometimes just running water displacer through works, other times I have to change both filters. It does not sound like a major mechanical issue.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Could also have water in filter if you ran it down that low. Gas is on top of water if you run it low and have accumulated water vapor you may have water in the fiter. My tractor will do this occasionally. Sometimes just running water displacer through works, other times I have to change both filters. It does not sound like a major mechanical issue.

anyone know where to get a fuel filter for a 2003 Ducati 999 I am having the hardest time finding one online. Is it hard to replace myself or will I need to take it in ?

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
anyone know where to get a fuel filter for a 2003 Ducati 999 I am having the hardest time finding one online. Is it hard to replace myself or will I need to take it in ?
you can find at your loal dealer or motorcycle part store or from many of this site's sponsors.
the tank/seat has to come, remove the pump and replace filter.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
I agree the advise to replace the fuel filter is a good one....to someone who seems to be of average mechanical skills (no offense intended) the filter replacement is not quite so 123 there you go easy. So before you attempt that I might suggest you drain the fuel in the tank (simply insert a hose into the filler cap and use one of those cheap/easy to use gravity feed bulbs to get suction going. Once the tank is empty of gas have a look see at the visible mesh filter at the bottom of the tank, will look brass colored. It's set pretty far back (towards rear of the tank) but you can see it. If it's looking grimey then you can attempt to suction off the gime...or perhaps at that point your just better off removing the fuel sending unit from the bottom of the tank, cleaning and replacing filter.

·
Registered
357 Posts
If your bike is running lean after you've run the tank empty I'd suggest you take the tank off, carefully removing the fuel pump etc. Get another fuel filter and O ring - Although the Ducati fuel filter is recommended, I can't see why a normal inline fuel filter from a parts store won't do the job. Anyway. Once the tank is off and the pump is out, try to get the inside of the tank cleaned. There are many ways of doing this - A vigourous sloshing of some fuel in the tank should dislodge any crap that is cause for concern. Anyway, once the fuel filter (preferably the Ducati spec one) is replaced in the right direction (indicated by an arrow suggesting flow direction) and having replaced the clamps (which are not reusable in my experience unless you have special plier to remove and refit them) on either end of the fuel filter and the new O ring nicely lubed up, you can slip the pump back into the tank(easier said than done). Carefully does it so as not to dislodge the O ring. Put fuel in the tank and check for leaking before replacing on bike.. Anyway, after the reinstallation with the clean tank and fuel filter, turn the bike on without starting it, you will hear the pump priming the lines. If the bike is still behaving as you described, then more than likely the line from the tank to the injectors or even the injector for that cylinder is blocked and needs cleaning or replacing as a result of dirt getting past the fuel filter although this is unlikely.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Update After The Fuel Filter Was Changed

So I took the fuel filter off and replaced it. The gasoline that was coming out of the old filter was pretty dark. They gave me high hopes for installing the new one. After installing the new filter filing the bike up with fresh gas. It still does the same thing.

It runs fine for about 10 minutes and then it starts to spudder again and it stalls. Also the muffler at the base turns bright red and it back fires a lot.

I dont know what this could be. The engine warning light never turns on.

Could this be an issue with the spark plugs or something worse like the cat. convertor.

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
flush the fuel lines and put another new filter in. It is still too lean, you may need your injectors cleaned also. Good luck.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Check to see if the tank is venting properly. You may have pinched the vent line causing a vacuum in the tank.

I did notice that the two vent tubes at the front of the tank did look alittle kinked. Ill see if I cdant straighten those out and see if that helps. If not, gonna have to rent a uhaul to the bike to the shop. Too bad there is only one Ducati dealership in Atlanta.

Ill keep you guys posted

·
Registered
1,402 Posts
Is the ambient air temp indication on the dash correct? Do you have access to another 999 that you can take the air pressure sensor off and do a swap to see if it makes a difference?

Take the fuel line off its connection where it enters the air box. Now switch the bike on and allow the fuel to squirt into a bucket (there is quite a bit of pressure involved so watch out for fuel vapors, fuel splashes and sparks.) That is the line partially flushed

Check the little rubebrs on the inside of the fuel cap and follow the overflow lines and make sure they are not kinked.

If you have a carbon canister fitted, check if it is not filled up with fuel

Now take the nose faring off and the air runner plus filter on the left side. You will now be able to see the injectors. Start the bike and see what the spray pattern is of the injectors. You want to see a really fine mist. No droplets should be seen.

Check your exhaust for cracks, missing exhaust springs etc.

If all these check out then you may need to get it to a dealer who can connect it to a data reader and see what is up.

SF

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Im just taking it into the shop tomorrow. Ill keep you posted on what the problem is.

So the shop mechanic tells me that there is a bad coil on one of the plugs. He says also it looks like the spark plugs have never been replaced. Amazing since all of the routine services have been completed. ( At another ducati dealership )

Im pretty upset I paid 800 dollars for my 12000 mile service and the spark plugs were not even changed.

$388 dollar fix

That is if nothing else is wrong

1 - 20 of 21 Posts