Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to learn GP style shifting I downshifted (around 10k) instead of upshifting and tached the bike out. All the shift light came on, it wasn't pretty. Bike starts fine, idles and revs fine, no mechanical noises. I know that this is a good way to blow a valve train. Believe me I do feel like a dumbass because I have 10+ years experience, none with GP style though. How durable are these motors and should I be concerned? Thanks and feel free to call me a dumbass :D

·
Premium Member
1,059 Posts
Take a deep breath and pretend it didn't happen. There's really nothing to do about it now, and nothing really to check if it runs well, still.

I'd call you a dumb-ass, but I switched mine over to GP a few days ago, and I don't want to jinx myself...:D

·
Super Moderator
8,222 Posts
You dumb f*ck!
There.. I fixed it for you! :D

As said.. I did the same thing when i switched.. Just look at the ground and pretend its raining and go on to the next one. There isn´t alot you can do. If it runs fine, then chances are good that it didn´t hurt anything.:)

I did it on a F650 aswell.. 650cc single.. Enginebraking when downshifting to first instead of up to third was BAD! I smacked the handlebars with my chest.:eek:

//amullo

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
I did the opposite with my buddies GSXR 1000. I've had reverse shift since day one. I was in second gear on his normal shift bike and punched it, went to hit third, instead went to first, the bike tire just starts spinning like crazy, back end fishing around. My buddy was on my 749R and said it looked pretty sweet...lol :D I did not think so, scared the shit out of me. Those jappos react kindly to such a mistake I guess.

·
comrade moderator
27,045 Posts
I did that on a friends brand spankin new 20 mile Yamaha R6. I brought it back to him after sending the tach needle all the way to 20k for a split second and told him it's broken in now...go ahead and flog it. :cool:

·
Registered
525 Posts
I did that on a friends brand spankin new 20 mile Yamaha R6. I brought it back to him after sending the tach needle all the way to 20k for a split second and told him it's broken in now...go ahead and flog it. :cool:
HAHAHA- That's funny

Did he just look all appreciative and say "Gee, thanks!"

·
Registered
262 Posts
Shouldn't be a problem if the engine sounds the same and no other abnormal things going on.

At thunderhill I swapped bikes with my pitmate, it was pretty neat to see my 996R smoking the rear tire when he made the same mistake! :D

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Alright, good to hear. I'm not the only one! In fact I just read an article in Sportrider where they had the same thing happen and broke a valve spring retainer, don't remember what type of bike though.

I want to get some GP shifting experience before I hit the track, but this shit is mentally challenging! Having to think about every shift before hand, and I find myself blipping the throttle on upshifts, ha ha WTF?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Oh shit, that's funny! Sounds like mine with only 700 miles on it...

·
Premium Member
2,373 Posts
Alright, good to hear. I'm not the only one! In fact I just read an article in Sportrider where they had the same thing happen and broke a valve spring retainer, don't remember what type of bike though.

I want to get some GP shifting experience before I hit the track, but this shit is mentally challenging! Having to think about every shift before hand, and I find myself blipping the throttle on upshifts, ha ha WTF?
That was a Buell. Makes sense. Harleys...

·
Registered
16,908 Posts

Give it a couple weeks. Some people adapt quickly-some people ( like me) take a lot longer.

Here is what I did:
Short shift until you get used to it.
Rest your foot above the shifter rather than below when accelerating.
Tape a note on your tach ( this comes in handy when you bring it in the shop).

I wish I had installed a slipper clutch before I installed the reverse shifter on my bike....:eek: The wheelie in the intersection in front of the cop was really funny to every one else. I would have been laughing too- if I knew I was going to do it...

-M

·
Registered
9 Posts
that was funny..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts