Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

41 - 53 of 53 Posts

·
Temporary greeter
23,076 Posts
I have no misunderstanding and I never said mass didn't matter. I said it was unnecessary. It is irrelevant for the purposes of getting the frequencies. Any belt you chose is essentially going to be the same--which makes mass a CONSTANT in those equations. If it will help you sleep at night, you can re-measure the span every time too. Never know when those case-mounted pulleys are going to change positions on you. Got to make sure, right?

When I buy a chicken from the grocer, I don't ask what it weighed with the head and feathers. There is no reason for 99% of Ducati owners to care what the actual raw tension figure is if you have a simpler measurement that is directly proportional. The other "variables" are statistically insignificant.

But by all means, show us. If the Gates belt is 5 grams heavier than the Bucci, crunch the numbers and tell us how we should only set a Gates belt to 109 Hz and the Bucci to 110.
Since this thread was bumped, I want to say that this is spot on.

Well said.

It would take a whole hell of a lot of mass difference to make a belt change that much in frequency considering the span.

And if anyone doesn't have a smartphone and wants to build one for less than $100 check out this thread:

How to make your RTA with $100 dlls. - DIYMA Car Audio Forum

I tested it against a certified RTA and it was more than close enough.

·
Premium Member
5,636 Posts
Used the gString app with my Droid 3 last service on the ST4s. Perfect. Worked better with the shop florescent lights and radio off though. Accurate, repeatable.

Belt mass? I know this is a few years old, but maybe those folks can explain where I could get a set of light gauge belts for my bike where knowing the belt mass might be a critical part of the equation. Consider that this method replaces the "highly precise" 45 degree twist or 5MM defection method for many...

The discussion is interesting, but reminds me of a guy a few years back who explained this complex method of using floor lags, straps and levels to perfectly set his bike in order to get an accurate oil level reading in the site glass!

I will add, however, that CA Cycleworks recommends a frequency of 99Hz instead of the normal spec of 110Hz for its belts. They also look just a tiny bit thicker, so the belt mass thing does come into play, but again has already been figured out for you.

·
Idiot Savant
1,187 Posts
Wow! How did I miss this thread until now?

BTW: I have 5 different tuners on my Android (which I love) but have never used them for adjusting belts. Apparently I've been missing out.

Luckily I read a physics book once so I should be able to handle it when the time comes. :D

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
290 Posts
Thanks Babyman!

Downloaded this app and used it last night! Awesome! I found strumming the belts fairly easy, even the vertical belt which is difficult to get to.

What I did find difficult was tightening the top roller when adjusted - how do you get a torque wrench in there? The frame is too close.
I torqued up the horizontal roller and then approximated the same force using a ring spanner on the vertical roller.

Cheers,

neil.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks Babyman!

Downloaded this app and used it last night! Awesome! I found strumming the belts fairly easy, even the vertical belt which is difficult to get to.

What I did find difficult was tightening the top roller when adjusted - how do you get a torque wrench in there? The frame is too close.
I torqued up the horizontal roller and then approximated the same force using a ring spanner on the vertical roller.

Cheers,

neil.
I realize I am chiming in on an old thread but I just got done replacing and tensioning these belts for the first time, on a 2005 ST4s (996). The G-strings app worked but it was frustrating to use because of how sensitive it is to background noise and some frustration due to the lack of documentation/user manual/notes.

To elaborate, I live on a busy street and it was picking up traffic noise that interfered with detecting the plucked belt. The flip side is that even after getting up at 5 am to beat the traffic it still had difficulty detecting the tone of the vertical belt, possibly because of all the obstructive wiring and frame members in that area. When it failed to detect the belt it continued to show the last measurement even though its display indicated that it had 'heard' when I plucked the belt.

In comparison, it was much easier and quicker to detect the horizontal belt, which is much more exposed. I am a musician (mostly guitar), sound/recording engineer and am familiar with acoustics so my theory is that the maze of stuff in the way of the vertical belt was affecting the localized acoustics (i.e. reflections), interfering with the ability of G-strings to lock onto the frequency (fundamental tone). I confirmed something of this sort by jumping back and forth between the horizontal belt (easy reading) and the vertical belt (difficulty).

I am using it on a Samsung Galaxy S10se enclosed in an Otterbox Defender case, which may have been shrouding the microphone even though I was able to shove it into a spot very near where I was plucking.

As a side note, I did try it as a guitar tuner and while it worked well with an acoustic guitar it was so-so when trying to tune an unamplified solid body electric guitar. Granted, this is not the way it would be used but I was interested in how well it did with soft sounds, as the belt pluck is also a soft sound, compared to an acoustic guitar.

Like Neil's experience, there is no way to get a torque wrench on the vertical cylinder idler lock nut on my bike while the engine is in the frame so I tightened it by feel, trying to match the horizontal. .

·
Registered
141 Posts
I realize I am chiming in on an old thread but I just got done replacing and tensioning these belts for the first time, on a 2005 ST4s (996). The G-strings app worked but it was frustrating to use because of how sensitive it is to background noise and some frustration due to the lack of documentation/user manual/notes.

To elaborate, I live on a busy street and it was picking up traffic noise that interfered with detecting the plucked belt. The flip side is that even after getting up at 5 am to beat the traffic it still had difficulty detecting the tone of the vertical belt, possibly because of all the obstructive wiring and frame members in that area. When it failed to detect the belt it continued to show the last measurement even though its display indicated that it had 'heard' when I plucked the belt.

In comparison, it was much easier and quicker to detect the horizontal belt, which is much more exposed. I am a musician (mostly guitar), sound/recording engineer and am familiar with acoustics so my theory is that the maze of stuff in the way of the vertical belt was affecting the localized acoustics (i.e. reflections), interfering with the ability of G-strings to lock onto the frequency (fundamental tone). I confirmed something of this sort by jumping back and forth between the horizontal belt (easy reading) and the vertical belt (difficulty).

I am using it on a Samsung Galaxy S10se enclosed in an Otterbox Defender case, which may have been shrouding the microphone even though I was able to shove it into a spot very near where I was plucking.

As a side note, I did try it as a guitar tuner and while it worked well with an acoustic guitar it was so-so when trying to tune an unamplified solid body electric guitar. Granted, this is not the way it would be used but I was interested in how well it did with soft sounds, as the belt pluck is also a soft sound, compared to an acoustic guitar.

Like Neil's experience, there is no way to get a torque wrench on the vertical cylinder idler lock nut on my bike while the engine is in the frame so I tightened it by feel, trying to match the horizontal. .
Gates released a specific app for measuring belt tension.... search for 'Carbon Drive' in the play store.

·
Administrator
6,139 Posts
When I did my 1198 I had great success with Gstrings for Android.
My 1198S runs like a scalded dog, and I have complete confidence in the app for the belts.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Gates released a specific app for measuring belt tension.... search for 'Carbon Drive' in the play store.
Yeah, I had tried that one but it is specific for bicycles with belt drives so I removed it. Even so, it didn't get very good reviews in the app store.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Yeah, I had tried that one but it is specific for bicycles with belt drives so I removed it. Even so, it didn't get very good reviews in the app store.
Carbon Belt Drive has been developed over the last 30 years. It’s a power transmission technology used to run the blowers on 10,000 horsepower racing engines, the powertrains of 150 horsepower motorbikes, and more recently, the drivetrains of many bicycles.

·
Registered
7,031 Posts
I set my belts with N-Track tuner or the Allen key method. Either works, either is close enough. I check my oil level with bike on the ground, then stand it up to what feels level and balanced. Close enough. CLOSE ENOUGH.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Carbon Belt Drive has been developed over the last 30 years. It’s a power transmission technology used to run the blowers on 10,000 horsepower racing engines, the powertrains of 150 horsepower motorbikes, and more recently, the drivetrains of many bicycles.
Just checked the Play store again, from the description of the Carbon Drive app, "Gates Carbon Drive is the high tech belt drive offering for bicycles. This app is designed to help your bike find its true belt drive potential."

When I tried using it it appears to max out at 80hz, no apparent way to measure at 110hz. Could be that the version/variant that would have worked is no longer available. The bicycle version is the only one that comes up in the Play store or on Google, and no Carbon Drive listed on Gates website under mobile apps.

So if you have a version that works for 110hz, don't uninstall it because it looks like you won't be able to get it back.

·
Registered
2,732 Posts
Their Gates website and Google Play differ on the details for this app. GPlay reviews are quite harsh.

I've had it a few years, worked on my Mini Cooper belt just fine. I find the interface on G-Strings easier to use, more accurate and prefer it.

41 - 53 of 53 Posts