Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an 06 s2r1k, went to ride today the bike started as normal, but noticed it was having erratic up and down idle, shut off to restart and when I turn the key on the guages did not light up or sweep although I hear the fuel pump priming. Turn key off and on again and guages are normal. Let bike warm off and while it starts to reach operating temp the guages do a full sweep while the bike is running. I take it for a test ride and while going a mile down the road guages cut off for a second, yellow immobilized light comes on and engine cuts off, then guages turn back on and power is restored. Back in driveway same thing over and over but now it takes about ten times with the key to get power to the guages. Bike will not start. Does anyone have any idea what I should be looking for?

Things I checked:
Fuses all good including voltage regulator fuse
Battery (1.5 years old). Keep on tender and when I hooked power pack to battery to jump, still no power to guages. Terminals tight
Checked for loose wires, from what I felt and saw, did not seem like anything was loose
Fuel pump and relay replaced last season, thought this may be causing a problem but last year when it went the guages were fine, just would not run without cutting out
Yellow immobilizer light is blinking as normal
Visually checked main and ignition relays, not sure what to look for although one was slightly loose, tightening it did not help.

Thank you in advance

Best

Mike

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
Might be a long shot but....undo the ground wire on top of the engine case, scrub both sides of it clean, replace, and try again.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Might be a long shot but....undo the ground wire on top of the engine case, scrub both sides of it clean, replace, and try again.
Thanks for your response, is that the ground that is under where the ecu sits?

·
I have a button.. BITCHES!
8,971 Posts
Thanks for your response, is that the ground that is under where the ecu sits?
I'm not sure. Most bikes have a thick black ground cable running down to the top of the block. On my SS it was on the right hand side towards the back on top of the motor. Dig around, you'll find it. take it off, clean it good, put it back. I hope that's the problem. If not, hell, we tried.

·
The days are getting longer!
8,278 Posts
That is an additional ground for the ECU, you need to find the larger main grounding wire. It should be were metalhead mentioned

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Motorcycle.com App

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So seem to have solved the problem by replacing one of the relays, not sure if it is the main or ignition. Last year my fuel pump seized and one of the relays was bad as well. Work was done by my dealer so not sure if it was the same one. What's interesting is the part # 54140031a on the parts schematic is only for one relay not two. Actually had an argument with the parts dept at Ducati telling him that they are different, even though he insisted they were the same Anyway, trying to troubleshoot to see why the relay may have gone bad or is it a common part to go like a fuse? Also in my shop manual they list the two relays as main and ignition. I included pictures, can anyone tell me which is which?

Thanks for your help

This is the one that I replaced to get the bike running. I sourced the part online as a few online duc dealers did not have. The one I got is not oem and actually has an additional prong which still fit.

Here is the other relay oem Ducati relay part #541400031a

1 - 6 of 6 Posts