Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There have been many tales, and remedies, on how to address the dreaded Ducati Tank Rust Syndrome. Basically, it is not "If" it will happen, it seems it is a matter of "When" it will happen. So, after my 2002 750 Sport was afflicted, the decision came down to following what many Ducati Dealers here in So Cal recommended, which was Tony of GTL Advantage, located in North Hollywood, CA.

In short, the process took two-weeks (I drove up to drop off, and pick up, the tank), and cost me $379.00 USD, as there was some corrosion repair to be done on the lowest corner of the tank (normal fare is $350.00).

And, the result? I am very pleased to have a tank that has been professionally coated, repaired (the aforementioned corrosion), and guaranteed to pretty much last forever. And, they must be good at GTL, as they had everything in there, from rare, old single-cylinder Duc's to Desmosedici tanks, so I felt my 'lil 'ol 750 tank was definitively in good hands.

Oh, and as the why I chose to have my tank done for me was simple - No time, due to work, and I am lazy.

GTL Advantage

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
It looks like the Caswell coating.

This is the last coating I have seen to hold up to ethanol if done properly. now do your best to NOT allow the coating (which is often thick) to get damaged by shoving a gas pump nozzle inside. If you allow the ethanol to get under the coating you will increase the risk of failure with any coating. My fingers are crossed for you as we are running out of good options.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I've been lucky enough for my 1995 tank to remain "rust free". I only use "rec fuel" and plan to drain the tank in the fall and bring it inside to a warm, dry place in our home. In my mind ethanol based fuel is death to many old bike parts. And, I don't believe in any of the fuel treatments will solve this. So - a bit of extra work but in our climate up here I believe it's essential.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
In my mind the best scenario is a metal tank free of rust with NO coating inside. Ethanol does not bother steel tanks though it does pull water in more helping them rust.

I recommend either filling the tank and stabilizing the fuel, aviation fuel seems to work well as it does not break down like regular pump gas I still stabilize just for added measure. Race fuel is best for storage but is costly and if you run the bike on it you HAVE to fog it when done or you risk valve seal damage from corrosion build up. If draining a tank completely then I would want a coating of oil to protect any bare metal from flash rusting and keep in mind the fuel in the pump may dry up and stick a pump if left dry.

Sadly there is no method that is as simple as add this or remove that and be done like anything else there are risks with either method.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Yes - dry pump could be an issue certainly.
I was planning to try a small "shot" of WD40 inside to try and coat the metal. Apparently it was developed for the military to prevent missiles from corroding in their silo's.
Thoughts??
BTW: In Canada most stations have "real gas" for sale. There's no law mandating ethanol like we have here.
I have a good friend who is the Director of the AACA in Hershey. They have published info to their members on the dangers of ethanol on their old cars.

·
Registered
234 Posts
I fill up the tank with premium gas at a gas station near my home after each ride, so it always sit with a full tank of gas. During winter, when stored inside in a heated dry shed, I drain out some 10 litres and add new premium gas at least once a month or more frequently. So the tank is always full with relatively fresh premium gas.

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
I would think the wd-40 would be fine as a coating to keep rust at bay, though this is the point a chemist pops up and lets us know how evil wd-40 is.......... anyone?

Some times if the pumps stick from being left dry a good rap on the bench breaks them free and then they are fine to use.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well - there's nothing nicer than Ducati RED in my mind. Only colour that works on a pure Italian bike. Perhaps "fly yellow" - but my fav is the red. That's the only reason I'm not fond of the FE.
Do tanks corrode in Australia too? I've only been to Melbourne a few times.
Long, long way.....

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts
Guess it's "left hand drive"??
Actually, my dumb mistake. I was SO glad to finally get the O Ring to seat I buttoned it up without noticing.
Just a hundred little screws to loosen, a 180 twist and then retighten and it will be fixed.
Thanks for your great eye!

·
Registered
903 Posts
I would think the wd-40 would be fine as a coating to keep rust at bay, though this is the point a chemist pops up and lets us know how evil wd-40 is.......... anyone?

Some times if the pumps stick from being left dry a good rap on the bench breaks them free and then they are fine to use.
I know I keep bringing up this company's products, but the Metal Rescue people make a product called Dry Coat that is used after rust removal to keep flash rust from reappearing. After I got rid of my tank rust with Metal Rescue, I used this stuff and it indeed kept the tank from rusting before I flushed it and put it back in service.

·
Premium Member
5,181 Posts
This is probably the best option for now and I will not get into the other versions of cleaners but Yes I very much prefer removing rust and leaving metal un coated ... as long as it does not become more prone to flash rusting after.

The greater issue is when you have a leaking tank at the hinge, metal ready (etc) does not seal leaks like some of the coatings would. I am thinking Brazing the tanks sealed and testing for leaks will be the new method if the coatings can not hold up to our fuel long term. Most of the tanks we were having sealed were leaking tanks the carby supersport was not prone to this but later efi models ,monsters,ST series were. Pretty much everything with a hinged tank from the late 90's onward.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Greetings, folks.

Today is put gas in her day, and I am hoping this will be the last time I ever have to deal with the issue the Italian's, in their pasta-laced wisdom, bestowed upon us.

As for Bigbadbass2's question, I am not sure what GTL uses as a coating, as they are a propriety-style operation, and the whole process is done under the careful eyes of their personnel, only.

And, finally, in regards to this quote by Ducvet, "My fingers are crossed for you as we are running out of good options," ain't it the truth, brother!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts