Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looks like that thread I started on the old forum is gone so might as well get a GT1000 thread going again here.
Some of you might have remembered me asking about the engine and other things that the new GT is suppose to share with the other bikes.
At the time I was asking, no one could tell me when the GT was going to be released.
Wellllllllllllll.... I got my answer:

Rick,
Thank you for contacting Ducati North America. I am pleased to hear of your interest in Ducati Motorcycles. At this time, the only information we have regarding the delivery time for the GT1000 is “late spring 2006”. As spring comes closer, we will develop a better idea of a more specific time-frame; when more information is available, it will be posted on our www.ducatiusa.com homepage. I urge you to keep a watchful eye out for further news.
Sincerely,
Joshua Rado
Ducati Helpdesk
DUCATINORTH AMERICA
10443 Bandley Drive
Cupertino, CA 95014
PH: 408-253-0499, ext 4411
FX: 408-253-4099

TOO COOL!

·
Registered
24 Posts
New old bike are in

My dealer was the Paul Smart and the GT in their showroom. My understanding is they have been there for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
34 Posts
The GT won't be out till about May.. your dealer prob have the sport and PS... those are the only two out right now..

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I stopped by Seattle Ducati today and gave them my name and number. Told them to call me when they know the GT is coming in.
Looks like not until June or July. It is going to be tagged as an early 2007.
Oh well, "good things come to those who wait."

·
Registered
299 Posts
ricky said:
I stopped by Seattle Ducati today and gave them my name and number. Told them to call me when they know the GT is coming in.
Looks like not until June or July. It is going to be tagged as an early 2007.
Oh well, "good things come to those who wait."
That's about the same info that I got from Modesto Ducati when I placed my name on the list. They told me there were going to be as many as three color choices (red, silver or black) and that the GT1000 was the only one of the sport classics that would continue to be produced next year, not limited in numbers like the other three bikes...

·
Registered
69 Posts
tedhudson said:
That's about the same info that I got from Modesto Ducati when I placed my name on the list. They told me there were going to be as many as three color choices (red, silver or black) and that the GT1000 was the only one of the sport classics that would continue to be produced next year, not limited in numbers like the other three bikes...
I too have heard to expect GT's to begin being shipped in April (Ducati time) which basically means we'll actually see them in June or July (real world calendar). The GT however is produced in one color only; a metallic platinum grey. Your dealer should have a color brochure for you to see or go online at Ducati.com, I believe they have image of the GT somewhere on their site.

You are the first I've heard saying the Sport Classics are a 1 year only proposition. Given the way they are selling, I'd be VERY surprised if they were not produced in '07. In fact Ducati has recently raised the retail price on the Sport 1000 from $11k to $11.5k USD. The Paul Smart is an LE version however I've been told that '07 version will not be an LE, it will lose the blue-green frame color as well as Ohlins components. Expect a black frame, Sachs, Marzocchi and/or Showa suspender-dampers and perhaps a 2-tone blue-silver paint scheme more in line with the original 750SS.

Ducati simply cannot afford to abandon a runaway sales hit, no manufacturer can but especially one that struggles to operate in the black like Ducati does. Take care

·
Registered
11 Posts
i want my new gt

haven't had a new bike in 30 years. i have looked at the buell xb12, the triumph speed triple and the multistrada. and then i saw the gt1000. i want it now. new to the board, but hope to share my experience with the rest of you. currently riding a moto guzzi sp1000 that i restored into a cafe style. love the bike. the wife said i could buy a new bike though, so the gt is my chose.

the brochure the dealer gave me shows the other two bike with a chrome type bar holding the tail light/turn signal assembly on, but at the dealer they have a plastic rear fender. the dealer also had a bike with the rear fender removed an a long led type tail light/brake light assembly.

the dealer also told me that the ds engine could be modified to put out 120 h.p. if so what type of mods will the bike need. my plans are to make my brother, the kawasaki zrx1000 guru (president of zrxoa) green with envy.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
bigmac said:
Ducati simply cannot afford to abandon a runaway sales hit, no manufacturer can but especially one that struggles to operate in the black like Ducati does.
I think that the trouble is that these bikes are taking sales away from the rest of the Duc line. The two lines that grew this past year were Multi's and the Sports Classics.
Ducati really needs to start tapping into other markets and not just cannibalize from thier own lines.

·
Registered
11 Posts
i want my new gt

what do you mean by cannalbalize? the sport touring bike is one of the fastest growing segement in all the manufacturers line. look at my previous post, my chooses for a new bike were all sport touring type bikes. i don't due alot of traveling on my bike, mostly backroad riding on weekends and evenings. 5000 miles a year. the gt seems like it would work great for me.

also i am not a follow the pack kind of guy. thats why i ride a quzzi and now looking at a ducati. i am fortunate enough that i can buy any priced bike i like. most of all the ducati line is too racebike riding position. look at all the post were people put bar riser on. the gt and multistrada already have them.

·
Registered
1,070 Posts
orangeguzzi said:
what do you mean by cannalbalize?
What I meant is that the Multi and SC line are selling well but at the expense of the rest of the Ducati line. In fact, Ducati moved a couple grand fewer bikes in '05 than they did in '06. As to the sport touring line being a big growth for Ducati the fact is that the Sport Touring line was actually down 53% over last year. Multi sales were up 57% and the Sport Classics sold 3k bikes. It would appear that people bought these two bikes instead of Monsters, Superbikes, ST's, and SS's.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Some facts as I understand them.....
GT starts production in May, we should see them June/July as an early 2007.
There will be 2 additional colors announced any day and customers who pre ordered will be allowed to choose alternate color if desired.
The Sport Classic line will continue in production and more models will come down the line...they are not discontinuing after only one year.
120HP out of a 2 valve DS motor ??!! I think the magic number on the DS might get as high as 105-108 but not much more than that....
The PS-LE will indeed lose some of it's high end components (Ohlins) on next years model....

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You tease!

Dave_R_996 said:
Some facts as I understand them.....
GT starts production in May, we should see them June/July as an early 2007.
There will be 2 additional colors announced any day and customers who pre ordered will be allowed to choose alternate color if desired.
Dave, you're killing me here:think:
I keep checking DNA everyday for some news. Sadly, nothing:(
You just want me to come in, don't you? :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
gt 1000 upgrade

my brother and i own a motorcycle custom parts design and build business.
i told him if i buy a gt1000 we should make three things for the bike and leave the rest of the bike to its nostaligic beauty. (1) a small windscreen for those indiana summer nights when the bugs are like rain. (2) a chrome luggage rack that lays over the tail light, flips up for a sissybar and flip the rest of the way over to cover the passenger portion of the seat and (3) a set of rigid luggage that would connect to the side braces of the luggage rack that are removable quickly. all metal part would be finely crafted and show chrome plated.

of course modern ducati's are not covered in chrome, but this bike is not suppose to look modern.

whats are the opinions of others on the board of these types of upgrades.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
orangeguzzi said:
(1) a small windscreen
(2) a chrome luggage rack
(3) a set of rigid luggage
whats are the opinions of others on the board of these types of upgrades.
(1) a small windscreen
I wouldn't bother. You're up against people like Givi.

(2) a chrome luggage rack
Very useable!

(3) a set of rigid luggage that would connect to the side braces of the luggage rack that are removable quickly.
You have to ask? :p

·
Registered
11 Posts
gt's on the way

visited commonwealth in louisville, ky today. said he recieved order confimation. three bikes on the way, due to arrive by end of march. on the list, if i like what i see i will take one home.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts