Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi have been hunting for a GT1000 for a while and it was the GT1000 that got me back into riding again. However, my local dealer went out and the line was discontinued. So, i went back to looking for one. I now have one in my sights and i started reading about the tank issue. Sounds like all the bikes have this issue or will have this issue and there is no real solution. Is it really worth the hassle?

·
Premium Member
1,593 Posts
There's no right or wrong answer to that one. It depends how much you want a GT and what else you would get instead, if you didn't get one. To me there is no competition for the SC range in the market place, unless you don't mind something heavy and slow.

Although you'll read about tank expansion on here, (where people share problems) I'm not sure you can guarantee that it WILL happen to you, and for some people it's a big deal of bubbling paint and replacement tanks, while for others it's a small deal where you need to space your tank mounts out with spacers.

At the end of the day these are unique bikes, now discontinued, and you need to be a little more dedicated and ingenious to own and run one.

(Asking people on here if they think owning a GT/SC is worth the hassle, is like asking Al Quaeda what they think of Barak Obama and expecting an objective reply)

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
LondonDutch summed up the matter nicely, and here are some tips on preventing the problem from happening:

1) Avoid gas with ethanol if at all possible.
2) Avoid parking in the sun frequently and\or for long periods of time.
3) Avoid leaving the bike unridden for lengthy periods with a lot of gas in the tank.
4) Coat the tank or use a fuel additive like K100 to combat the detrimental effects of ethanol.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I keep my tank full and open that gas cap once a day if not in use to let the pressure out.

·
Registered
8 Posts
yes..i would buy my GT in a heart beat...every time i ride it, i'm reminded as to why i bought it.

·
Registered
10 Posts
ditto to 'rithunder'... again... and again... and again...

·
Registered
76 Posts
Love my GT (Sofia). She gets tons of looks and I have caught strangers taking pictures of her. She is a great ride. I don't see myself going back to a cruiser for a long time.

Sent from my iPhone using MO Free

·
Registered
13 Posts
GREAT tips listed here on the tank expansion issue. All should take note.
My tank spread after 4 years and after a hot summer where it was out a lot. Dealer added the tank mount spacers at no charge and it was good to go. If you love that retro look that the GT fills then it's the bike for you.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Hi have been hunting for a GT1000 for a while and it was the GT1000 that got me back into riding again. However, my local dealer went out and the line was discontinued. So, i went back to looking for one. I now have one in my sights and i started reading about the tank issue. Sounds like all the bikes have this issue or will have this issue and there is no real solution. Is it really worth the hassle?
well, let me ask YOU a question... Water, worth it?

i rest my case....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts