Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed some clubman bars on my GT and while I LOVE the look, the pain on the wrists is just way too much. I had no idea the seating position would be this severe. It's not so much in the stretch of my back and arms (I'm pretty tall at 6'4" so that's not really an issue) but that all my weight and every bump and crack in the road is felt on the wrists. And going down a crowded 5-story parking garage is an exercise in pure pain. The only reprise I get is gunning it on long straight-aways but this is pretty rare on my otherwise crowded urban commutes.

Pics of my bars can be seen here:
Gt1000pic2 - Ducati Pictures Images and Videos

Gt1000pic1 - Ducati Pictures Images and Videos

So my question is being someone who loves the cafe look, would I expect the same or similar discomfort from clip-ons from a '07 Sport Classic or even an ST3/tallboy-style clip-on? It seems that the '07 Sport Classic clip-ons would only be a tad higher and maybe 2" closer than what I'm using now, not enough to really be much better, but as I'm not really knowledgeable on how the ergonomics of the clip-ons are, maybe there is a big difference.

Ultimately, I'm resigned to go for m bars or Rizoma low bars if need be but I'd much rather find a clip-on or cafe-ish handlebar that is still usable.

David

·
Registered
68 Posts
Looks Mega cool though with those bars.

I have to say the ergonomics on my Ducati SC Mono are horrible so I went for some german made fully adjustable clip on bars. They don't look low and as mean as the originals but they are way more comfortable.

They wouldn't work on your bike unless you also changed the top yoke.

I say leave the GT as is or get some suitable renthals?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I just rode 2450km in 5 days with my Smart with Aella clip-ons.
No pain in the wrists at all. Just in my triceps and legs a bit because the Aella rear sets are sets very high for track use.
It's all in the training ;)

·
Registered
27 Posts
I changed from the standard clipons on my 06 mono to Speedymoto adjustables. Could not find a sweet spot for ongoing wrist pain and numb right hand so I dropped the front suspension and mounted the clipons above the triple clamp. Also moved the bars inwards by 2". Now much more comfortable under test rides. Will need to replace throttle and clutch controls as they are too short. Following this I will neaten all cables again as I had to loosen all to get max slack to run a test. Not totally cafe, but so comfortable now. The black line on the fork shows where the clamp position was.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

Attachments

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Those clubman bars DO look great David, but yes, I'm sure that looks does come at quite a cost.

Recognize that lower bars work best with more rearward pegs. Having them changes the angle of the hips which thus allows the torso to extend forward naturally. Lower bars with the GT's stock footpegs is asking for discomfort as it requires and unnatural position thus almost requiring you put your weight on your arms and wrists (and, yes, the bars themselves), all of which is detrimental not only to comfort but to control.

I dropped the front suspension and mounted the clipons above the triple clamp.
Be careful there Cd. You have diminished the bike's rake and trail. That will increase the likelihood of instability and if you went too far even allow the front end to 'tuck' unexpectedly if you get on the brakes hard going into a turn. That's road rash territory. :eek:

-don

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
I changed from the standard clipons on my 06 mono to Speedymoto adjustables. Could not find a sweet spot for ongoing wrist pain and numb right hand so I dropped the front suspension and mounted the clipons above the triple clamp. Also moved the bars inwards by 2". Now much more comfortable under test rides. Will need to replace throttle and clutch controls as they are too short. Following this I will neaten all cables again as I had to loosen all to get max slack to run a test. Not totally cafe, but so comfortable now. The black line on the fork shows where the clamp position was.
It sure looks like you're going to hit your fender on the lower clamp someday.

Having used both the ST3 and 2007+ risers, there's not a dramatic difference between the two but they're both dramatically more comfortable than the stock '06 clipons. Many on the forum report changing the downward angle of the bars plays a major role in wrist comfort. The ST3 bars have much less downward angle than the stock '06 bars.

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
David - holy crap that bar looks awesome!! who cares about the wrists when you look good riding down the road?? ;)

i wanted more agressiveness on my GT and searched and searched for the right clip ons.. found them in the LSL tourmatch clipon kit. (not for everybody) taller than the paul smarts but lower than the S1000 tall oem's.

im a tad shorter than your 6'4 so reach is good for me. that clubman bar is a serious extreme.. there is a set of S1000 clip ons and top triple on ebay right now (only hours left) i'd get those and try them. i think they would work for you. bars have a good degree angle and they are tall enough where your not leaning over to the max.

if you keep the clubman bar i suggest taking the triangle rearsets off and putting aftermarket rearsets on than bring the foot pegs back (way back) only then might you find it a little more comfortable. with GT tank being shorter it's really a quest to find the right fit with aftermarket clipons that'll feel good as much as look good..

quick fix? take the clubman bars off and put Rizoma Conical on. had it on my GT and loved it. about 1.5inch's lower than stock. you also could rotate bar to get more of a degree out of it as well. GL

·
Registered
603 Posts
I've seen a few s2r/s4r sport woodcraft clip ons w/ a 2" riser. They fit well and not nearly as aggressive. Very similar fork, cluster, triple as the gt.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPad app

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for all the feedback! Actually, FareWarning, that eBay listing is precisely why I posted this inquiry at this time. I wanted to suss out whether it was worth bidding on that particular item or would I just be throwing good money after bad. Seems it would be a more comfortable fit than the present set-up. Plus I love the idea of sticking to pure Ducati parts. That being said, if I don't get the winning bid (I'm guessing it's gonna go kinda high as they don't seem to appear that often anymore), I'll try some Tall-boys which should do the trick.

And the Rizomas look great, especially in the aluminum finish to match the forks. I assume the conical mid part (requiring new risers) helps with stability in some way?

·
Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I'm also a bit hesitant to put on rear sets. Ultimately I love the way a GT looks stock. Every angle is great in my opinion - except from the front which IMHO looks like (horror of horrors) a CB! That's why if I can just find the right pair of sporty bars and some better mirrors, I'd be happy to just leave the bike as-is and drive it. Well, in theory... ; )

·
Premium Member
999 Posts
Thanks for all the feedback! Actually, FareWarning, that eBay listing is precisely why I posted this inquiry at this time. I wanted to suss out whether it was worth bidding on that particular item or would I just be throwing good money after bad. Seems it would be a more comfortable fit than the present set-up. Plus I love the idea of sticking to pure Ducati parts. That being said, if I don't get the winning bid (I'm guessing it's gonna go kinda high as they don't seem to appear that often anymore), I'll try some Tall-boys which should do the trick.

And the Rizomas look great, especially in the aluminum finish to match the forks. I assume the conical mid part (requiring new risers) helps with stability in some way?
Great minds think alike.. they come up now and then but this is this first ebay listing i've seen with the top triple included. the clip ons alone if ordered from Ducati in Italy go for 300. so this is reletively a decent deal.

the Rizoma bars come in 2 sizes. Conical and standard. the Conical is fatter and requires the new shorter rises that will lower it by 1.5inchs. the standard fits right in to the stock risers. its a tad straighter than the OEM GT bar so there's that. let me see if i have a pic of it. sure looks damn good.. could be rotated as well to taste..

[/IMG]

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
if I can just find the right pair of sporty bars and some better mirrors, I'd be happy to just leave the bike as-is and drive it.
That's what I have done. Put on some inexpensive bar end mirrors, adjusted the bars to the ideal angle for me, added and tank bag, and I found it perfect.

I know that to some folks customizing their bikes is a big part of the joy of ownership. I find greater joy myself in having a bike that in every way shows the individual mark of a true design genius -- Pierre Terblanche -- who put his heart and soul into it. The riding position is to me near perfection. And I admit that its being a bit of a rarity (I've yet to meet another GT1000 rider on the roads apart from organized Ducati meets) adds to that pleasure.

A stranger: "Wow that bike is in good condition. I haven't seen one like it ages. What year is it."

Me: "It's new."

The stranger: "Your kidding!"

And then I hit the starter and watch a big smile break out on their face. Fun stuff!

Here she is, just as I ride her, pre-bar end...

-don

·
Registered
704 Posts
Don't forget that Cycle Cat is back in business and they have clip-ons that fit the Sportclassics also. The ones I put on mine sit lower than the factory clip-ons did, but because you can adjust the angle that the bar comes out of the clip-on they are actually a lot more comfortable.

·
Premium Member
1,389 Posts
I would consider the Speedymoto Superbike bars also. I have the Tall Boys, which are hugely adjustable, but not as streamlined as the SB bars.

If you try out a pair of the Speedymoto Superbike Bars (silver clipons) and don't like them, I may swap you a pair of Tall Boys (silver clipons - not the black Omni bars...they're the same on both). Keep me posted:)

Cheers,

Tmnstr

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Adding to Don's comment about low bars working better with rearset pegs, the look is much better too IMO. I've seen a big guy on a GT with low bars and stock pegs, and let's just say his cool quotient wasn't what it could be - he looked all bent and painful like he was riding with 'rrhoids;)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts