Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
I would guess that either a tooth or dog has come off one of the gears and jammed between the shafts, or maybe a gearbox bearing has broken up and allowed the shafts to jam...... But it is just a guess.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Here's a little bit of an update. I took the clutch off this morning. It was easier than I anticipated and I didn't have to use Ducati's $600 tool to do it. Once I took that out I rotated the flywheel shaft and tried to shift through the gears. It now shifts less than it did before, often only shifting through N and 4th. It occasionally goes back to 1st. I would also jiggle the secondary shaft (the one with the clutch) and the output shaft and they seem to be getting bound up by the same thing. I can jiggle them and it will advance or retreat a little, then get bound up again. I also removed the sump screen and there was no debris in it at all.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
So we should see the inside by Monday?

The upside is if you are hunting for gearboxes they usually sell for peanuts as they are NORMALLY super reliable. Hopefully there is a known cause of the failure when you get in there.
If I get in there by Monday, I'll have pulled off quite a feat. Lol. Yeah. Everyone I've talked to says this was a very unusual event. These things are supposed to be very robust. This bike has been well taken care of too. Most recently by me, and by the only other owner who was a rep for Parts Unlimited. It does have 46,000 miles, but that shouldn't matter much if it's maintained.

·
Registered
2,270 Posts
You have been very unlucky and I feel for you. The good news is as ducvet says, that used gearboxes are easy to find, but there is a lot of work to fitting it. I wonder if an easier course would be to fit a used engine?

·
Official Retired Person
7,334 Posts
Glad you found the cause of the problem. Glad you were not hurt when the gearbox locked up on you.

You should hang that box on the garage wall when you get all done. Trophy of sorts!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
You have been very unlucky and I feel for you. The good news is as ducvet says, that used gearboxes are easy to find, but there is a lot of work to fitting it. I wonder if an easier course would be to fit a used engine?
I see the going rate for a used ds motor is around $1200.00. A tranny is about $240.00. Being the poor SOB that I am, and stubborn to boot, I'll probably take the tough route. But it's definitely something I'm considering.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well, after much consideration I opted to buy a complete 1000ds motor through a dealer in Florida. It is the exact motor I am replacing, a 2007 wet clutch version from a gt1000. It's got 16,000 miles, as opposed to 46,000 on mine. It looks very clean, and they provided video of it running, as well as a 30 day guarantee. I'm going to try to get it installed this weekend. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
While taking a look at this new motor there is something that concerns me a little bit. In the intake ports there is this kind of mud-coloured scaling stuck to the walls of the ports and around the area of the valve seat. Here's a picture. What do you guys make of this, what would cause it, and how do I get rid of it? My other engine definitely does not have this.
unnamed.jpg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
I ended up scraping the crud out and cleaning the ports. It came off fairly easily. I did it with the valves closed so no crap got past the valve seats. Which brings me to ask, should both intake valves be closed at the same time? Because that's how they are. Another question comes to mind, if that's what the intakes look like, how does the combustion chamber look? I took out the plugs and the vertical cylinder plugs looked normal, where the horizontal ones looked dry black.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
I do see that build up at times I assume it is a additive in the fuel that builds up over time. It is hard stuff so I do not like the idea of it going in the cylinder but what are you going to do?

I would bet the cylinders are okay but there is only one way to know as always... where does it stop are you going to check the rod bearings? try blowing the cylinders out and checking leakdown/compression before installing the motor.

21 - 35 of 35 Posts