Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. This is both a cautionary tale and a plea for information. This morning I set off from my house on my '07 GT1000 as I always do. I turned onto the main road and quickly went through gears 1,2,3 when all of a sudden they rear wheel locked up! I was passing a car and began fishtailing. It probably scared them almost as much as me. Luckily I was going in a straight line and was able to come to a controlled stop. I was in the middle of shifting and there was clacking and other horrible noises from the tranny. Pulling the clutch in did not free the wheel, but the motor itself continued to run. Once I was stopped I tried to go through the gears but it would hang up if I went more than a few inches. After assistance from the local P.D. and a tow, I got it back home. Scary stuff.

I've never worked on a transmission before, although I have so far done all wrenching on my bikes. My assumption is that the shift forks got bent and screwed it all up. I guess I'm looking at a new transmission in it. Any input or experience is welcome. Here's a pic of the tire afterwards. I was taking it on one last ride before planning to replace it.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I am suspicious of your clutch. If the trany locked up, disengaging the clutch should have taken the trany out of the equation. Of course if the trans. ate itself alive it may have screwed up the output shaft thus locking up the wheel. In other words,I’m just guessing.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
In 23 years of working full time on Ducati's I have had 1 transmission lock up that was not the shift arm . That bike was a st4 where a piece of metal got into the shift drum and seized things solid.

I would start by dropping the oil and inspecting the magnet for metal maybe the sump screen as well. If it is due for a oil change remove and open the filter looking for copper. I say this as a 996 in the shop came in for shifting issues and I found his main bearings had been bad for a lot longer than they should have been with him not noticing. No offence to the Op but I find SOME owners not that tuned in to what the engine is doing and engines can be coming apart without them having a clue for a lot longer than you would think possible.

Start with the basics.
check for excess metal indicating engine issues in oil.
check belts/cams to rule out timing issues
pull the side covers one at a time to look at shift arm then clutch second to verify something has not worn or gone out of spec. Once everything external is done you go inside.
Fyi : I have never seen a bent Ducati shift fork and can still count on 1 hand the number of bad transmissions.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks everyone for your input. After thinking about it and speaking to an engineer friend of mine, I'm leaning toward it being a problem with the clutch, maybe a broken spring. I'm going to follow ducvet's advise on how to proceed. I'll post back when I have something. Thanks again!

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, I drained the oil and found metal shavings on the magnetic plug. I also ran a magnet through the oil and found a few more shavings. Before this incident, I'd just changed the oil so these shavings are new. Of course I was expecting this as the sound my bike made was horrendous. I removed the clutch cover and there does not appear to be anything broken, jammed, shredded, etc. I depressed the clutch and it appears to function fine. All the plates and springs move. I then removed the stator cover to check the shifter assembly. It appears to function normally. I checked the bottoms of both cases and found no metal shavings or broken pieces. Although the clutch seems to disengage with the transmission, the final drive is jammed up even in neutral or with the clutch pulled in. It will only move a little back or forth. Bad news for me as it seems like I'll have to crack the case to look at the gearbox.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am suspicious of your clutch. If the trany locked up, disengaging the clutch should have taken the trany out of the equation. Of course if the trans. ate itself alive it may have screwed up the output shaft thus locking up the wheel. In other words,I’m just guessing.
The output shaft is definitely bound up by something. I checked the clutch and it seems to be fine. Whether in neutral or with the clutch disengaged, the output shaft is still locked up.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
Picture of the metal found on the plug?

Cut that oil filter up looking for copper.

Check the sump screen.

After the clutch and flywheel are stripped out, check main bearings on the crank and then you can pull the horizontal head,cylinder and piston in chassis. This may give some view of the transmission look for something jammed in the teeth. IIRC the frame comes off to access the vertical but if not pull them after.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
In 23 years of working full time on Ducati's I have had 1 transmission lock up that was not the shift arm . That bike was a st4 where a piece of metal got into the shift drum and seized things solid.

I would start by dropping the oil and inspecting the magnet for metal maybe the sump screen as well. If it is due for a oil change remove and open the filter looking for copper. I say this as a 996 in the shop came in for shifting issues and I found his main bearings had been bad for a lot longer than they should have been with him not noticing. No offence to the Op but I find SOME owners not that tuned in to what the engine is doing and engines can be coming apart without them having a clue for a lot longer than you would think possible.

Start with the basics.
check for excess metal indicating engine issues in oil.
check belts/cams to rule out timing issues
pull the side covers one at a time to look at shift arm then clutch second to verify something has not worn or gone out of spec. Once everything external is done you go inside.
Fyi : I have never seen a bent Ducati shift fork and can still count on 1 hand the number of bad transmissions.
First off, let me say I appreciate you sharing your expertise with me. I took your advise and checked the clutch and checked the shift arm. The clutch seems perfectly functional and feels normal. If the shift arm was over-traveled before, it seems to be shifting normally now. However, whether it is in neutral or the clutch disengaged, the output shaft is locked up. It moves only a few degrees in either direction. It actually feels like the normal play that the output shaft had while in gear before this problem happen.? I've gone through each gear one by one and still got no free play you would associate with a neutral gear position. When the incident happened I was in the middle of shifting from 3 to 4 I think. I got what felt like a false neutral and when I tried to shift again that's when it locked up. There was a lot of internal clacking an crunching like it was trying to find a gear but couldn't.

What would you do as a next step? Am I looking at having to break the engine down at this point? Thank you for your help, sir.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Picture of the metal found on the plug?

Cut that oil filter up looking for copper.

Check the sump screen.

After the clutch and flywheel are stripped out, check main bearings on the crank and then you can pull the horizontal head,cylinder and piston in chassis. This may give some view of the transmission look for something jammed in the teeth. IIRC the frame comes off to access the vertical but if not pull them after.
Thank you. I was just asking some questions when you got back to me.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Does the motor turn over easily with the plugs out?

If you remove the clutch does the crank spin fine but output shaft doesn't?

Can you shift through the gears or is the shift drum stuck as well?
The engine runs fine with the clutch disengaged. I imagine it will turn fine manually too?! I have been shifting through the gears fine. I don't recall if there was a shifting problem at first. I feel like I might have had to force it a little when I popped the side cover. The shift drum is moving as it should.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
The engine runs fine with the clutch disengaged. I imagine it will turn fine manually too?! I have been shifting through the gears fine. I don't recall if there was a shifting problem at first. I feel like I might have had to force it a little when I popped the side cover. The shift drum is moving as it should.
P.S. I ran it BEFORE I drained the oil. Just to clarify. Lol.

·
Premium Member
4,142 Posts
So you can rotate the shift drum through all the gears?

But the output shaft is always locked.

Start next by completely removing the clutch. This will separate the transmission from the crankshaft. If the transmission is still locked when there is no connection with the crankshaft you are heading inside most likely.

It sounds as something has locked the input and output shafts together but it would be odd for you to be able to shift through all 6 gears and have it stuck. Might be a piece of metal in the gears such as a loose bolt, broken gear tooth etc. Pulling the front cylinder and piston may let you see in there just enough to see whats going on. If not you will likely pull the motor.

If you completely strip both sides and the horizontal top end not only will it be lighter to get out but you may find something along the way.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So you can rotate the shift drum through all the gears?

But the output shaft is always locked.

Start next by completely removing the clutch. This will separate the transmission from the crankshaft. If the transmission is still locked when there is no connection with the crankshaft you are heading inside most likely.

It sounds as something has locked the input and output shafts together but it would be odd for you to be able to shift through all 6 gears and have it stuck. Might be a piece of metal in the gears such as a loose bolt, broken gear tooth etc. Pulling the front cylinder and piston may let you see in there just enough to see whats going on. If not you will likely pull the motor.

If you completely strip both sides and the horizontal top end not only will it be lighter to get out but you may find something along the way.
Great advise. Thank you!

1 - 20 of 35 Posts