Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Mrs H and I rode over to Lincoln (47 miles) on my 695 Monster & took a test on a GT1000. Her face was a picture when she stepped off the 695 on arrival at the garage!

The bike is a red 2007 GT1000 with just 2,800 recorded miles. It has alloy sport classic wheels fitted, Termi kit, carbon hugger & a touring windshield is also available (but not fitted). I checked the tank & it didn't wobble at all!

My wife & I both really enjoyed our test ride on the GT1000. The route took in a series of open roads and bends of varying degrees. Excellent & much more comfortable than the 695. Did a deal & the GT will be coming home after a service & some more parts will also be fitted:

Fender Extenda
Ventura Grab rail
Optimate Lead
Wiring/switch for heated clothing
Nose fairing

I'll post some pics when I have the bike.

Looking forward to some great rides out with Mrs H, hunting for nice country pubs etc. :)

Cheers folks!

·
Registered
50 Posts
Hi Rudolph
Love to see your pics when you post them! I would love to upgrade the wheels on my bike but bit pricey!
Enjoy the summer, and if you are in the cotswold area then let us know.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase!

I've found that the additional weight of riding two-up is just the thing for perfect GT-1000 suspension compliance. I found this out literally by accident, when we had to leave a buddy's bike in the mountains and ride back to town two-up on the GT. There was no way to adjust the spring pre load as I don't normally even carry the tool, but the bike rode level and felt just perfect.

Did the alloy wheel mod, as well. You may never find out just how harsh the ride was with the original heavy steel wheels, which have been cursed and blasphemed here to no end! After replacing the wheels, I have no urge to otherwise modify the suspension.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Used stock, almost new wheels and tires from a Paul Smart. Easy switch out, perfect fit, and they look right.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Congrats Rudolf!

I just recently bought a used '07 GT and absolutely love it! I'm constantly finding errands I need to run, e.g. a late night dash to the supermarket to get syrup so I could fix my son pancakes for his birthday breakfast this morning. The trick was waiting for my wife to go to bed so she wouldn't so undermine my ploy by asking me to get a 20 lb. bag of dogfood while I was there.:rolleyes:

At any rate, my first fill up has me getting 56 mpg - 3 times what my car gets - so I figure that gives me a little cover for not taking the car and combining my errands.:)

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys, appreciate your comments.

Joolz - we'll have to meet up when I'm up & running with the GT1000. Somewhere around Stratford/Warwick could be a good half way point?

I'm currently trawling around sourcing the various parts I want on the bike. Looking forward to some great rides on the GT.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Rudolph,

Welcome to the GT brigade !. I'm sure you'll not be disappointed with your GT. It's one of the comfiest bikes I've ever ridden and is a great tourer. I suggest you fit your hugger asap (if you don't like the carbon one get a black GRP from QB Carbon to keep a more classic look) to keep things a bit cleaner down under.

Mine's almost two years old and nearly 10k miles, summer and winter riding, and it still looks good. No rust on the chromework and it always comes up shining nicely.

Without baffles the Termis will tell you you're riding the best sounding bike for miles around. It's definitely too quiet with them in.

Happy riding !

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Cheers Borderduc.

The GT already has a carbon hugger fitted so no worries there. :)

The Termis had the baffles in but I strongly suspect they will fall out during the service before I collect the bike. Called Pyramid Plastics today & they stated they don't make an Extenda Fenda for the GT1000, no plans in development either. :(

Still trying to source a Ventura grab rail kit for the bike. Don't want to use the DP chrome rack as I've read a number of posts relating to cracked welds on the Ducati rack.

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
+1 on the SV Fenda Extenda (works great) with double sided tape. And I also use the Ventura system instead of the factory tail rack. It is much more versatile and I think it looks better too.

·
Registered
900 Posts
Mrs H and I rode over to Lincoln (47 miles) on my 695 Monster & took a test on a GT1000. Her face was a picture when she stepped off the 695 on arrival at the garage!

The bike is a red 2007 GT1000 with just 2,800 recorded miles. It has alloy sport classic wheels fitted, Termi kit, carbon hugger & a touring windshield is also available (but not fitted). I checked the tank & it didn't wobble at all!

My wife & I both really enjoyed our test ride on the GT1000. The route took in a series of open roads and bends of varying degrees. Excellent & much more comfortable than the 695. Did a deal & the GT will be coming home after a service & some more parts will also be fitted:

Fender Extenda
Ventura Grab rail
Optimate Lead
Wiring/switch for heated clothing
Nose fairing

I'll post some pics when I have the bike.

Looking forward to some great rides out with Mrs H, hunting for nice country pubs etc. :)

Cheers folks!
You're going to love the bike! Great for traveling and a blast for riding hard. Have fun and looking forward to some pics of the beauty when she comes home!

·
Registered
775 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the comments guys.

I'll keep you posted & look forward to meeting up with Britbiker & Joolz when I have my GT1000.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Rudolph,

You might grab a can of spray silicone and douse the engine, especially that horizontal cylinder, with it. It helps a lot- grease and dirt slide right off- and when you do wash it with soap and water everything cleans right up much easier. All the shiny bits stay that way. I’ve got almost 6000 miles on mine, and the engine still looks pretty much new.

If you try it, spray it on heavy, let it sit for ½ hour or more to let the solvents evaporate, then wipe the excess with a cloth.

Congrats on the bike. I’m still crazy about mine.

Cheers!

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Did you post the pics?

Congrats! I am trying to unload my track bike to get a new Sport 1000s...

1 - 20 of 31 Posts