Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I installed a Storz Performance steering damper after buying the GT1000 new and owning it for just a few months. There had been a couple of instances of head shake, one of them fairly violent. I'd also noticed generally squirrely high speed handling. The damper neatly cured the handling and head shake issues, but handling at parking lot speed was compromised. It seemed a good trade off and I got used to it. Last year, I installed virtually new wheels and rubber from a Paul Smart but had not tried the handling without the damper. Did that this morning and found the handling improved to the point that I felt confident in permanently removing the damper.

I'm still running the original forks and shocks. With the light alloy wheels, the suspension is firm but compliant, just like I like it. The bike does not settle, sag, or wallow in corners. Handling is back to being light and the bike feels stable in every combination of speed, power, and turns that I've tried. Handling is just delightful.

Except for the PS wheels, the bike is now back to its completely stock configuration, right down to the ugly CARB cannister and bug eyed mirrors.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Something just doesn't seem right here...but to each his own. First I heard anyone showering compliments on the original suspension.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Interested in selling the steering damper?
Sure; go to the Storz Performance web site for the price of a new one. PM me with an offer. I can offer a few tips about optimum set up, as well.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Something just doesn't seem right here...but to each his own. First I heard anyone showering compliments on the original suspension.
I don't know about "showering compliments", but the original suspension is throughly competent, and has gotten better with use. The problem was the OEM wheels.

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
I feel positive you are being lulled into a false sense of security here, but wont know about it until you get your next headshake/slapper.... And it will happen if you ride with any degree of pace or aggresion.

If you already have a damper please put it back on...
Maybe back the resistance off a bit if it bothers you.

We are getting too many "out of the blue" reports of online freinds throwing it down the road. :think:

Greg.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
I noticed the same thing when I put the BST carbon wheels on my GT. It *drastically* reduced the need for dampening.

I have a patch of very awful road on the freeway I take home every night--it has rain grooves cut in it that run parallel with traffic and it also has wide, deep horizontal lines cut every six feet that cause the bounce up and down.

This patch of freeway will predictably induce headshake--it is my "Headshake Experiment Zone" where I test what does and what does not increase headshake on my GT.

After I got the BST's I noticed much reduced headshake generally, and especially on this awful patch of road. I actually removed the steering damper for awhile as well and had no problems in the "Headshake Experiment Zone" or anywhere else.

Ultimately, I put the damper back on but I leave it on the lowest setting because it does add feeling of security. That said, the lighter wheels and headshake reduction is not a myth...

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
I've lighter wheels, better tyres, a damper and top notch suspension and still get a headshake when the right series of corrugations comes along at speed.
I wouldn't toss the damper just yet.

YMMV as they say.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have a damper and I sure wouldn't get rid of it. Nor would I describe the stock suspension as competent. In fact, it was the most incompetent suspension I have ever had on any bike I've owned (about 10 so far).

·
Registered
517 Posts
changing wheels to BST, new tires and tubeless surely improves handling tremendously!!
The OEM forks isn't bad for road riding at all. It's actually pretty comfortable at moderate speeds IMHO.
On the other hand, I have 2 videos showing SC forks on the track.
One using S4R Showa adjustable forks, and another OEM forks.
the OEM bottom out frequently, and seem very soft for track riding...
Anyway, the great thing about steering dampers is that you can adjust them to different settings. It's always a great idea to have it, and just set it up on a low setting.
I surely wouldn't get rid of my damper...

~k

·
Registered
126 Posts
The OEM forks isn't bad for road riding at all. It's actually pretty comfortable at moderate speeds IMHO.

~k

I suppose if you're a bit on the tiny-side it may appear to be comfortable for road riding. However even in that circumstance the dampening is woeful at best...but as I previously stated...to each his own. No sense in trying to serve caviar to one who is accustomed to french-fries.

·
Registered
900 Posts
I really like the bike since I put on the Kuan bracket and Ohlins SD121. The adjustability is good, but I haven't had to mess with it. I did not notice any really problems with low speed steering at all, but I don't spend a lot of time there. Besides, the spreading stock tank keeps me from hitting the stops turning left.

·
Registered
171 Posts
No sense in trying to serve caviar to one who is accustomed to french-fries.
Well, at least you weren’t condescending!:D

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
changing wheels to BST, new tires and tubeless surely improves handling tremendously!!
Sure does. I also replaced fork springs. All of that reduces headshake.

That said, I still run my steering damper, although I feel like I could get away without running one.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Ohlins SD200

Sure you can ride the bike in a controlled manner without a dampner. But I wouldn't for 2 reasons. Firstly a dampner is like a helmet and gloves in that it will dampen the effects of an unschedualled event and second is they look very retro especially the side mount. My first dampner was the Storz which worked well but broke at the top eye. I got an Ohlins dampner I suspect out of pity of the Ohlins guy who fitted the bike for track work. He gave me a used one knowing I would need it and sure enough its been the best value addition to this bike. You know its working on my bad country roads but not killing the feel and turn it back to zero for city riding so the bike is flexible for slow riding. Any new rider to these bikes should not piss around, get some real life insurance with an Ohlins.

·
Registered
985 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks for the input folks! I'll keep the damper. I've been in touch with Jim at Storz Performance who says that the damper can be modified to provide less damping than it does now. (It currently kills low speed handling and gives the bikes handling a dead feeling.) I'll give rebuilding a try.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Thanks for the input folks! I'll keep the damper. I've been in touch with Jim at Storz Performance who says that the damper can be modified to provide less damping than it does now. (It currently kills low speed handling and gives the bikes handling a dead feeling.) I'll give rebuilding a try.
Darn - I should have PMed you sooner! Let me know if you chnage your mind again!

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
OEM Tires

I was nervous about headshakes and shimmies when I first bought my GT1000. I bought it with the touring windshield installed and I was convinced that it was imparting torque to the forks. However, I picked up a piece of angle iron in the rear tire which ruined it. I replaced front and rear OEM tires with Bridgestone BT021's. Wibble wobble changed to Spiderman.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts