Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well the weather and circumstances finally cooperated and let me take my GT1000 out for a ride following the 7,500 mile (Actually 8,000+) service.

As reported on earlier the initial change I noticed was in the sound which was more robust - especially from the airbox. Did BCM change the type of filter? No, they kept it stock. How explain the change in sound? They removed a mouse nest from the airbox.

OK, so how did the bike feel sans mouse? Not a helleva lot lighter. (Side to side transitions seemed identical.) But the valve and belt adjustment along with the balancing of the FI between cylinders made for a small improvement.

Most notably improved were the brakes, which were now completely firm with no air-induced squishiness at all.

The biggest change, however, was in my confidence. Keeping the same belts - even with fairly low mileage - for four seasons is a no no. Knowing that they're new made me feel free to let the bike rev freely.

I don't know how 'off' the valves were, just that some shims/collars were replaced.

All in all the GT runs great. But then again she ran great from the day the Fatduc was installed.

Oh, and that is one small change. The tech apparently lowered the setting of the Fatduc some. Enough so that she was a bit lean just off throttle when the enrichment circuit first turned off. Ran fine above the transition and perfectly everywhere once she was completely warmed up.

The GT1000 is a keeper. (Good thing for me with my aging hips)

:)

-don

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Just had my 7500 mi. service too

Belts were fine but valves needed some minor shimming. Throttle bodies were slightly off so balancing them no doubt helped. I notice more snap, specifically the bike seems to rev quicker. Clutch adjustment took a little getting used to but I love the way it feels from stops now. New fluids and sparkling chain are nice too! I need to remember to check my Fat Duc settings to see if they adjusted it.

No change in tone, but then my airbox was rodent-free as far as I know:). Anyway, between the service and recently installed Fat Duc, it's like a new bike! New Michelin Pilot Road 2 sneaks are due to arrive today, so weather permitting, hopefully I'll get them on this week so I can ride with confidence. With approx. 7850 miles, I'm just now getting to the wear bars on my Mich Classics, but have squared the rear off quite a bit so it should be nice to have round, grippy rubber again.

+1 about the GT being a keeper!

·
Registered
57 Posts
I was curious about leaving the Fatduc on when the GT goes in for the 7500 mile checkup. Seems there's no objection..right?

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I was curious about leaving the Fatduc on when the GT goes in for the 7500 mile checkup. Seems there's no objection..right?
I notified the service tech it was there in case it would interfere with his readings, etc.

My GT is no longer under warranty so that was not an issue for me. Whether or not it could have been on a newer bike would, from what I've seen, depend on the attitude of the dealer.

When I used to have my bikes serviced at Riverside (Sommerville MA) I always knew the shop manager was on my side. I was a bit dismayed when the service tech at BCM put a note on the invoice making reference to my Fatduc and my can modification for future warranty purposes. Irrelevant for my bike, but revealing about the dealerships apparent mindset. (Note that BCM is no longer owned by Bruce Meyers. He, I believe, would never had done this.)

-don

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
I left mine on when I took mine in and notified them it was there. It still has a little time on the warranty, but they didn't mind. Heck, everyone I've spoken with there is a huge fan of them, so for them to turn around and tell me it'd be a warranty issue would have been hypocritical to say the least.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts