Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner
  • Hey Everyone! Enter your bike HERE to be a part of this months Bike of the Month Challenge!
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The standard seat is comfortable enough, but let's face it, it is a bit of porker. So as I can't wait any longer for a production alternative that looks good on the GT rather than the SC, I've made my own. It utilizes the standard Duc underseat catch, so it can be swiftly swopped over, and has some under-hump storage.

Roll on Spring so I can ride it rather than just race it in the workshop.

It's a prototype so any opinions would be welcome and gratefully received.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,995 Posts
Your seat is very good looking, definitely cafe. Is it comfortable? Tell us about those side covers.

·
Official Retired Person
7,522 Posts
Wow. Cool! That's some nice work. Well done.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the comments. 1Duckyboy- the seat is as comfortable as 2 and one half inches of upholstery-grade polyether chip foam with 6mm top coat of rubber foam can make it, which is quite ok, but it can never be as good as a factory-molded polyurethane foam core.

I would have liked the seat to have been a little shorter but the problem is I'm 6ft 4" with l-o-o-ong legs.

The side covers. These I made up from 2mm aluminum sheet, following exactly the frame triangle revealed when the original side covers are removed. The is a small but important change in plane towards the bottom to match the bend in the front frame tube. The sides return with a "pencil" radius, making a shallow box. They locate on the original front push-on stubs, plus a small screw fixing to the rearmost frame tube. Tricolore made from three strips of sign-writing vinyl.

·
Premium Member
99 Posts
That's one beautiful seat you've made, and the side covers only add to the classic appeal, very nice.

So... taking orders? :D

Cheers - Las

·
Registered
1,081 Posts
Great job Jerry,
That's just what my GT is looking for.
If you make up another seat pan I'd buy one.
Sounds like you could have a few orders!

·
Registered
101 Posts
Very Nice

I never understood why this was not a factory seat option. If you do ride 2 up the seat is an easy swap - I don't see any downside other than a little extra coin.

·
Unleaded caffeine please...
149 Posts
Sweeeet! Who did the fabrication?

Nice placement of the blinkers as well.

Edit: nevermind, just re-read your original post. Great job!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
How complimentary all you Gt guys are! Thanks a lot, but this was definitely a one-off I'm afraid. The French effort is very interesting - I like the line of the red piping (a revision perhaps for next winter) but perhaps in the absence of a rear fender it's a tad large?

But we haven't yet tackled embroidery in our knitting circle, and as no badge will stick to vinyl I cut the DUCATI letters individually from 1.5mm alloy sheet and glued them to a thin glass molded plate matching the double curvature of the hump, and brush finished them. It looks ok in the flesh- honest.

Rikkd- can't reply to pm- please pm again with e-mail address.

·
Registered
292 Posts
Very nice work! Reminds me a bit of the v7 guzzi single seat. A number of us have made our own single GT solutions. I have a thread on mine here somewhere "airtech seat mod" or something like that. I Love the variety of what we all come up with. These bikes are great bc of the ability to make them what you desire. - great work.

·
Premium Member
1,043 Posts
super nice work; great form and proportions.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts