Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I removed the Ducati full wind screen from my GT1000 today. (It's for sale cheap now). I plan to install a small screem from sel-motion. The full screen was a dealer installed item, on the bike since new. I like the handlebar height and was concerned to see two of the mounting points for the the Ducati windscreen attached under the handlebars. That attachment added appx 1.25 inches of lift to the stock handle bar height. I re-installed the handle bars with stock parts and found I did not like the stock height (to low, to much pressure on my wrist/hands). Since the windscreen hardware included the longer attachment hardware I re-used that and simply added a stack of 3/8 washers to provide the lift the windscreen bracket had added.

So, if anyone is looking to raise the handlebar height an inch ~ it's a cheap and easy fix. Get two new m10x1.50 pitch allen head bolts (appx 3 inches long). Add a stack of 3/8inch washers appx 1 inch tall , and reattach the handlebar hardware. That is about the max you can lift them without needing to make any cable mods. All the cables/hoses are fine and no changes needed there if you lift under 1.25 inches.

The 1~ inch taller bars do wonders for comfort in my opinion.

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Wow, DMCTRUBY, you are my new very favorite person in the whole world!!! You're idea beats $100 bar risers by, I don't know, about $98?

A slightly less primitive solution would be to make a solid aluminum spacer, but even if you do that, the washer technique is a great way to experiment and figure out exactly what length you want to make the spacers. Plus, I bought the comfort bars (which I decided went too far), so I have extended cables that don't limit how much I can raise the bars this way.

I'm off to the fastener store, and, as the owner of a lathe, I have big plans :D

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I ended up using 9 washers on each side.I have angled the bars down and back just a tiny bit from they were in the pic. Wow, what a difference on my hands, wrist and shoulders. Very neutral position now. I did a 50 miles ride for a test it was great.

This is an easy fix, except for reintalling. The bottom handlebar mounts will twist as you tighten them. So angle it off center as you snug up the bolt, and use the last few cranks to get it down tight and to turn the mounts so they line up. I rested an old peice of pipe in the mounts to make sure they were straight before I put the handlebars back in.

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I see a new part opportunity :) . The washers do look primitive. A cyclinder aluminum spacer would be nice. I looked at the link from the other response and I don't like that method. Looks to bulkly to me. A spacer like you mentioned under the mount would like cleaner.

Wow, DMCTRUBY, you are my new very favorite person in the whole world!!! You're idea beats $100 bar risers by, I don't know, about $98?

A slightly less primitive solution would be to make a solid aluminum spacer, but even if you do that, the washer technique is a great way to experiment and figure out exactly what length you want to make the spacers. Plus, I bought the comfort bars (which I decided went too far), so I have extended cables that don't limit how much I can raise the bars this way.

I'm off to the fastener store, and, as the owner of a lathe, I have big plans :D

·
Registered
73 Posts
Lowes does not know bolts...

Anyone know where to find the M10x1.5 bolts? Lowe's, Auto parts, etc doesn't have them...mmm...?? I'm hella interested and any points in a direction for my scavenger hunt would be awesome! Thanks!

·
Registered
2,820 Posts
Ace is where I found them too. I don't remember the length, but I found ones about 10mm longer, 25mm longer, and 30-35 mm longer.

They're black, but you only see them when you remove the bars. :D

·
Registered
238 Posts
screen like this

small screen 2 brackets suppled go straight on to the headlight fixings the screen is off a Suzuki bandit

Attachments

·
Registered
73 Posts
awesome

1 - Dietrich...as always you are the man! PS...may be riding to see my best bro in Tucson...maybe catch up for a ride in Phoenix?

2 - Chunk...your bike is F'in spectacular! Ohlins...there is no substitute! Maybe I can strike me some oil soon... ;)

·
Registered
1,373 Posts
Proper Fasteners/Riser

Hey, glad to see I'm not alone here.

I also ditched the factory comfort handlebars as too high & klutzy looking. Gen-Mar Manf. has a 1.25" riser that fits perfectly and puts the stock bars in a great spot for around $90.

They were supplied with incorrect length bolts, however. Even if you go the washer/spacer route, take the time to obtain correct fasteners. If you go with stainless steel you'll end up with galvanic corrosion of the aluminum! Correct length zinc coated fasteners are available from FASTENAL (Fastenal.com), although they will probably have to order them in. They're top quality, look factory, and won't corrode the Ducati.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hey, glad to see I'm not alone here.

I also ditched the factory comfort handlebars as too high & klutzy looking. Gen-Mar Manf. has a 1.25" riser that fits perfectly and puts the stock bars in a great spot for around $90.

Didn't see the GT1000 listed on Gen-Mar Manf... would I purchase the ones for the Monster 02-on (Part# D103) for my GT?

·
Registered
19 Posts
I removed the Ducati full wind screen from my GT1000 today. (It's for sale cheap now). I plan to install a small screem from sel-motion. The full screen was a dealer installed item, on the bike since new. I like the handlebar height and was concerned to see two of the mounting points for the the Ducati windscreen attached under the handlebars. That attachment added appx 1.25 inches of lift to the stock handle bar height. I re-installed the handle bars with stock parts and found I did not like the stock height (to low, to much pressure on my wrist/hands). Since the windscreen hardware included the longer attachment hardware I re-used that and simply added a stack of 3/8 washers to provide the lift the windscreen bracket had added.

So, if anyone is looking to raise the handlebar height an inch ~ it's a cheap and easy fix. Get two new m10x1.50 pitch allen head bolts (appx 3 inches long). Add a stack of 3/8inch washers appx 1 inch tall , and reattach the handlebar hardware. That is about the max you can lift them without needing to make any cable mods. All the cables/hoses are fine and no changes needed there if you lift under 1.25 inches.

The 1~ inch taller bars do wonders for comfort in my opinion.
Awesome. About to do this for mine with Zinc plated hardware. What were the specs for the washers? Don't we need a measurement for thickness, inside diameter, outside diameter? Yours looks nice and flush.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Found a solution!

I wanted to share with you folks a solution I found for the spacer problem that looks a lot better than the 'stack-o-washers' approach.

I used to have a Triumph Bonneville, and those folks swore by a little shop called "Jim's Spacers" for those bikes. I emailed Jim, and he's agreed to start making these for the SportClassics! He normally does 1" and 1.25" sizes (the pictures are of 1" risers).

They're not on his site yet (http://www.spacerjim.com/), but I'm sure they will be soon, and at his typically very-reasonable prices. He usually includes the required bolts as well, so it's a simple install. I've attached a couple pictures.

Note: I'm a happy customer, not an employee ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I have since put back the Ducati tall screen and removed the washers. Since others have posted much better info/solutions on risers/spacers that is probably more helpful. If you want washers still....I took the bolt to Home Depot and fit the hole size/diameter to that, I don't recall the size.

Awesome. About to do this for mine with Zinc plated hardware. What were the specs for the washers? Don't we need a measurement for thickness, inside diameter, outside diameter? Yours looks nice and flush.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I wanted to share with you folks a solution I found for the spacer problem that looks a lot better than the 'stack-o-washers' approach.

I used to have a Triumph Bonneville, and those folks swore by a little shop called "Jim's Spacers" for those bikes. I emailed Jim, and he's agreed to start making these for the SportClassics! He normally does 1" and 1.25" sizes (the pictures are of 1" risers).

They're not on his site yet (http://www.spacerjim.com/), but I'm sure they will be soon, and at his typically very-reasonable prices. He usually includes the required bolts as well, so it's a simple install. I've attached a couple pictures.

Note: I'm a happy customer, not an employee ;)
This is exactly what I'm looking for. I want to take my DP windscreen off and still want to maintain the comfortable bar height (I think. who doesn't enjoy comfort?). I already have the correct bolts and only need the spacers. It's still not up on the linked page. I suppose I'll e-mail him.

Thanks!

Marc

·
Registered
86 Posts
This is exactly what I'm looking for. I want to take my DP windscreen off and still want to maintain the comfortable bar height (I think. who doesn't enjoy comfort?). I already have the correct bolts and only need the spacers. It's still not up on the linked page. I suppose I'll e-mail him.

Thanks!

Marc
You're very welcome! He makes them in a 'polished' finish now that matches the GT1K handlebar mounts very well, it looks like it's stock :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts