Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've put down my deposit for a brand new 2008 GT1000 in black and cream and after reading this forum I am wondering if I should just forget the whole thing and forfiet it.

I have two BMW's in the US, my dad's 1961 R60/2 and a 2007 R1200ST. In the early 70's I did a bit of riding on a friend's Ducati 450 single cylinder enduro bike. It was a fantastic machine; light, manuverable, well made, and strong as a bull. I told myself that someday I wanted a Ducati.

I am a 53 year old American living in Singapore for a three year work assignment. I bought a Honda CB400 (not available in the US) to commute to work. It's a good little bike but I miss the thrill of my R1200ST. I finally decided this was the time to buy a Ducati. The GT1000 seemed the best fit for a fat old guy like me. Fortunately I was able to negotiate a good deal (for Singapore) on a 2008 GT1000 that had been in the showroom since June 2008. This includes trading in my Honda.

This forum opened my eys to spreading gas tanks, corroding metal parts, poor build quality, and huge maintenance costs. Is this really the story? If Ducati is so bad why would anyone buy one. I really would like to know if the things I see in this forum are exaggerations of a few bad experiences or the real truth about these bikes.:confused:

·
Registered
3,057 Posts
Personally I wouldn't go near a Beemer. I hear the drives explode..

·
Registered
412 Posts
You have to consider that this forum is a world wide community of riders. Most have had few or no problems, some have had many. I have owned 12 Ducati's and I have not found them to be any more problematic than any of the other motorcycles I have owned. People buy Ducati's because of the intangible things that make riding a Ducati special. Maybe its the sound, the styling, the v-twin power, I am not sure but everytime I shop for a new street bike I always seem to end up with a Ducati. Did I mention I test rode the 1198S on Saturday.......OMG!

·
Registered
473 Posts
Don’t mind the internet whiners! True there are people out there with legitimate problems, but it is easy to forget they are the vocal minority.

I continue to ride and love my 06 sport classic. If it ever gives me any trouble I will fix it and keep riding.

These are fantastic, stylish machines, ride any enjoy.

Lee C.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Problems

I had a Triumph Thruxton. I put 10,000 miles on it in 9 months. I had an oil leak. Took two times by the dealer to fix it. A seal was bad. adna second seal behind the first.

Point is, From a sales standpoint, usually 7 to 1 ( if i remember correctly) people complain about service vs. praise service.

If people are looking for help they probably post more than those who are having no trouble.

My experience with service costs comes down to this. Jap bike people try and do a bunch of stuff them self. Ducati people for the most part pay to have it done. Kind of like Porsche vs. Chevrolet. You really to to decide for your self.

I can tell you I have spent less money on every single Brand New vehicle I have purchased by having it serviced always at the dealer, than buying a used one and using independent dealers.

I have owned new Acura, Honda, Bmw, Porsche. and Used Bmw, Porsche. Fixing what other people didn't properly maintain has cost me far more over the life of the cars. Of course the new cars had depreciation, but they weren't in the shop as much.

I have a Ducati Sport 1000s right now. In the grand scheme of things. I have a useless plasma TV that i never turn on because i put 3300 miles on my new bike in the last 5 weeks. The TV I get to no joy form.

I say go with your dream.

You can always compromise later on. :)

·
Registered
592 Posts
It only seems to be the US which is affected by tank spreading, this seems down to the poor quality fuel which has a larger quantity of ethanol in it.
I haven't heard of a single case in Europe ,probably Singapore may be the same so dont let that put you off.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Just look at the number of people writing here regularly… i would not call it representative for the thousands of Sport Classic owners not even knowing that this forum exists…

Tank spreading is no issue that should affect you, corrosion can occur to every bike depending on the climate and care and the rest is often up to personal taste… i am sure a lot of jap bike owners have similar problems but not in our world…:D

·
Registered
1,395 Posts
In the early 70's I did a bit of riding on a friend's Ducati 450 single cylinder enduro bike. It was a fantastic machine; light, manuverable, well made, and strong as a bull. I told myself that someday I wanted a Ducati. I finally decided this was the time to buy a Ducati. The GT1000 seemed the best fit for a fat old guy like me.
bmwson, on behalf of all of us, let me apologize for the misunderstanding here. It's like you've stumbled upon all the gossip about someone you've always wanted to meet. Most of it's got some truth, but it's far from the whole picture. These are smart looking, quick, comfortable, and good handling machines.

Many of us can identify with your personal testimony given above. In short, you're pretty much like a lot of us. The truth about this forum is we've found a place to talk about our favorite toys, and 99.9% of the time we love them. I'm 54, and outside of owning the BMW bit, you've described me. I LOVE my GT1000. You can read about my wiring problems in a different thread and I STILL love my bike, because it's a great ride + it's the bike I've always wanted. And FWIW, the build quality is WAY better than the old bevel drives. Ask Cook Neilson & Phil Schilling...

It sounds like you've done the hard part, negotiating the deal. Now you need to enjoy your reward.:)

·
Banned
2,916 Posts
I really would like to know the real truth about these bikes.:confused:

they have got one of the greatest engines ever, you will love it.

:cool:

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
"Everything's arranged but I'm getting cold feet"

You sound more than a bit like me the day before my wedding to a stunningly beautiful Sicilian women. "Better watch it!" I was warned, "She'll have a knife in her boot and stab you through!"

That was 40 years ago.

Still no knife.

Just do it. :)

-don

·
Registered
53 Posts
I think much of what you are hearing is passion. We love our bikes and want them to be perfect (which isn't going to happen). So sometimes we complain. But I love my GT is is a great bike, and I put many carefree miles on it. It is no more trouble than the other bikes I have owned - much more fun. If you want it go for it. I don't think you will regret it.

·
Registered
592 Posts
"She'll have a knife in her boot and stab you through!"

That was 40 years ago.

Still no knife.

Just do it. :)

-don
That doesn't mean no knife!, just that you haven't seen it....(yet!!):p

·
Registered
117 Posts
I dunno...If you are really worried about the bike's reliability and maintenance, then you might not be as happy with a Ducati as you would something else (Japanese). Nothing wrong with that, it's just that Ducati owners make concessions to own these bikes that other brands don't require.
I'd rather see a happy informed duc owner, than another dissapointed poster asking why the heck he's gotta take his bike in every 7.5k, and why are parts more than a gsxr, and whatnot.
good luck whatever you do though.

·
Registered
1,120 Posts
Had jitters too but glad I took the plunge

I did a lot of research before buying my GT a few months ago. Much of it was on this forum, and yes, there was some stuff like the gas tank spreading and fuel line problems that came up regularly enough to make me nervous. Still, the overall sense I got was that the majority of complaints were issues easily remedied by the warranty. Sure, there are a few people here who've had problem bikes that seem to be in the shop more than in their garage, but you'd find that on Japanese bike forums too.

Not sure how GT cost of ownership compares to your beemer, but yeah it's a bit more than Japanese bikes. My dealer freely admitted this and I pulled the trigger anyway because the GT has the most character and is the most enjoyable bike I've ever ridden. Initially, I was seduced by its looks and the unique mystique and cachet associated with Ducatis, but was blown away when I took a test ride and could tell it would be the most pleasurable bike I'd ridden. For me it's got everything - performance, comfort, and stile.:cool:

·
Registered
985 Posts
I've had no problems with my '07 GT. It's the lightest, most powerful, best handling bike that I've ever ridden or owned, including the three BMWs. I've never encountered a more precise gear box, or better brakes. That crazy idling engine beat is just legendary. People ask me to crank up just to listen.

Every once in a while, I'll give the tank a wiggle when I mount up, mostly because of what I've read on these forums about tank spreading. On my bike, it just is not happening.

My GT has not a speck of corrosion. The chrome is deep, and the beautifully designed and milled aluminum parts are to die for.

Go get your GT! It's calling to you. You know that it is!

·
Registered
238 Posts
:think: f you wish yourself a drama free existance, why would you ever ride a bike in the first place? Mate, if it has tits or tyres, you'll have issues with it. :D The truth of this doesn't keep us away from the Betties, either. ;)

1 - 20 of 43 Posts