Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just wanted to put my impressions of owning my '07 GT for one year to summarize my first Ducati experience.
Not enough time on the bike to rack up the miles it needs. However, the first feeling I had when I rode the bike last year on a cold day is still there a year later. Still get that raw, vibey feel that brings a huge grin on my face. The bike is straight forward and simple with all the modern, reliable stuff on it. Sure, it isn't perfect. You know, that '72 Tiger 650 I had was a beastly oaf, terrible electronics, poor carburation and bad brakes. But the feel was something I never could recapture when riding anything until this bike. Except it doesn't leak, has suspension and stops pretty well.
Ducati as a company is flawed in some ways, but seems to be a good company and typically slow to admit any flaw in their work, and there are a few with this bike. So what. I had to replace a lot a gaskets on leaky "legendary" 70's in-line fours and vertical twins whle fighting with the manufacturer for warranties. Try getting a tranny covered for a non-abused "Busa ore GSX-R. Ducati does OK.
The forum here is where the rubber hits the road. I have learned a lot about the bike here and enjoyed the great comraderie of true RIDING enthusiast. It's all about the feeling when riding, not the bench racing spec crazed squid world (don't get me wrong, I have a Daytona 675 and am going to a lter bike this winter, so I do like the big giddy-up). But when the time comes, it'll be the GT that stays home while the Daytona gets traded. Even with the "cost of ownership" and "character" issues of the Ducati, it is the most distinctive bike I've had out of the 26 road bikes I've owned.
Hats off to the gang here for making the year make sense and keeping it fun!

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Some of us have been around a while. :rolleyes:
I know you like to post about how old you are, but I'm sure you're young at heart. :)

I bought my first motorcycle in 1984 and I've only owned 4 road bikes total...

My father has been riding for over 40 years and has only owned 5 road bikes total...

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
Let's see now. I got my first street-legal bike in about 1971 (it was legal but I wasn't - I was too young for a license so I rode it in the dirt). I didn't actually buy it myself, my parents bought it for me. ;)

I've owned a few bikes over the years too. Definitely more than 5 but I don't think I've had 26...

Debby

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
I know you like to post about how old you are, but I'm sure you're young at heart. :)
Well, thank you. I'm not sure I "like to post about how old (I am)," but I do notice the difference in perspectives some of us have because of our age or our youth. I'm no kid, but, as our string about member ages shows, there are lots of people my age on the board. Perhaps what you perceive as me liking "to post about how old (I am)" I perceive as sharing a point with the rest of the "grown-ups" on the site. ;)

I bought my first motorcycle in 1984 and I've only owned 4 road bikes total...
My father has been riding for over 40 years and has only owned 5 road bikes total...
Let's see now. I got my first street-legal bike in about 1971 (it was legal but I wasn't - I was too young for a license so I rode it in the dirt). I didn't actually buy it myself, my parents bought it for me. ;)
I've owned a few bikes over the years too. Definitely more than 5 but I don't think I've had 26...
Debby
Okay, I'll give you both that. 26 is quite a few, but they do add up over the years. I've owned 6 in just the last 3 years. :p

·
Registered
985 Posts
Sounds like it has been a good year Brooksie!

This is morotcycle #7 for me, starting with a brand new Honda XL250 in 1974. There have been a couple of BMWs along the way. This one has been by far the most enjoyable to own, but not the most comfortable!

·
Registered
792 Posts
It's stuff like this that makes me glad I bought my Ducati.

Whenever I brought it up on our SV board that I have thought about buying one, or drooled over pictures of one, all I keep hearing about is how much I'll work on it, the higher cost of ownership, and how Ducati's are "tempermental".

Yes, oil changes cost me more. I do clean it more often. I haven't yet seen the "tempermental" side of it, but if it does rear it's ugly head, I'll probably still smile.

See, my SV was nice. I liked it. I modded the piss out of it, as well as put a good many miles on it. It gave me few problems (until I passed 60k it seemed), and was a fun bike to ride.

But people didn't stare at the SV like they do the Duc. I didn't get perfect strangers coming up to me and shaking my hand saying "Man, that's a nice bike." And I like how my S1k looks like nothing else on the road (until recently, when I found out a guy in Williamsburg has an '07 in the same color :().

I see me keeping this bike for a long, long time.

·
Premium Member
666 Posts
I've had my GT since June 2008. I love the bike and plan on keeping it for a long time. I went off the deep end and bought a superbike a few weeks ago (02 998) but expect to be putting more miles on the GT. It's just such a great all around bike.

Debby

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
First: Great post.

Second: 26 road bikes (?!)
Yup, started riding in 1970. Back then it was easier to ride without proper credentials. Did a Rickman, Husky and Suzuki dirt bikes that my brother was kind enough to let me learn on (never could catch that 1098 riding old fart).
The list started pretty typically. Owned and road each.
305 Honda- rat rebuild and road into the ground
350 Honda- ditto
550K Honda- nice bike, bored in two months
750K3 Honda- more like it
750k5 Honda- more of the same
400F Honda- stange but fun.
750F Honda ('76-spokes)
XS400 Yam-did trails with it too.
XS750 Yam- nice engine.
900F Honda (ouch) that one got away after two months
450 Hawk Honda-baby brother, half the power, twice the fun
500 Interceptor-say no more
700 Sabre (big ouch) top heavy tub could fly in the air pretty good.
FT500 Ascot thumper-ease back into it as I healed
CB1 400F Honda (riot) cornered on rails, ran out of gas in 60 miles. Toy engine
VT700P (Pacific Coast) Honda-nice grocery getter. Dull
CB1100F-big balls. Never bought a front tire.
700 Interceptor-genius bike.
Another CB750F with spokes
700 Nighthawk w/Yosh pipes-pretty hot.
GL1000 Std.-stripped down pre-Valkyrie
15 year layoff to get married, divoriced, hit bottom and climb out.
CB550K-rebuild from ground up.
T100 Bonnie with 904 kit/cams ect.
Daytona 955i (big ouch) sport bikes don't take 50mph cross wind too well
Daytona 675-holding on to it for now.
Ducati GT1000
So, yeah, that's them. I guess I have ADD or something but always had at least two around.
I've had my GT since June 2008. I love the bike and plan on keeping it for a long time. I went off the deep end and bought a superbike a few weeks ago (02 998) but expect to be putting more miles on the GT. It's just such a great all around bike.

Debby
Great combo of bikes. I know theres a liter bike in my future. I wish economic would allow a nice 1198, but I may have to settle for a Asian import with Buell going out.

The point is, they build 'em a lot better now and you don't have to keep cardboard under them. As time went along, the build quality across the board got better and better. The GT has that (except for fuel tanks) but I look at that as a minor pain in the butt. The folks at Ducati did a great job capturing the feel and looks of the good ol' days but got the performance right. The first one on that list that felt like this was the 900F.
Note: I don't list the '72 Triumph on here as it really wasn't my bike. Long story.

·
Registered
2,822 Posts
Yep, quite a list. I'm way behind.

Honda SL175
Yamaha Trials 175
Yamaha DT100
Kawasaki 900 Z1
Kawasaki GPz 750
Honda CX500
BMW R50/2
BMW R1100RS
Suzuki DR350
Honda CB350 four (course, I really wanted a 400F like Brooksie's)
BMW K75RS
BMW K1100RS
Honda VT500 Ascot
Ducati GT1000

·
Registered
985 Posts
And my (sparse) list:

1974 Honda XL250
1975 Honda CB750F
1976 BMW R75/6
1979 BMW R100RS
2003 Triumph Bonneville T100
2007 Ducati GT1000

·
Registered
238 Posts
1968 Honda CB750 chopped, yes, chopped, with a VW Bug back tire. Suprised I didn't kill myself.

1983 Yamaha Maxim 750. First real bike. Great little ride. Reliable.

1983 Yamaha V-twin Special. I barely remember this thing. I bought it from a drug dealer for about 400 Cassette tapes. He stole it back about a month later.

1982 BMW R65/6. Nice ride. Gutless, but nice.

1987 BMW R100RT/7. Had guts, but boring.

1983 Yamaha Maxim 650. Meh, you can never go home again.

2002 Moto Guzzi V1100 Stone. Awesome little bike. Reminded me of the R65 but with power.

2007 Ducati GT1000. Awesome bike. Bought for a bunch of money, dumped a bunch of money into it. Great power and handling.

2000 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport. Bought cheep, dumped a bunch of money into it. Absolutely magical.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Wow, what a fun ride down memory lane. Let's see:

- 1976 Honda CL360
- 1977 Suzuki GT380
- 1978 Suzuki GS750EC
- 1978 Suzuki DR400
- 1983 Suzuki GS1100ED
- 1983 Honda XR350R
- 1997 BMW R1100RSA
- 2000 Triumph Speed Triple
- 2001 Moto Guzzi Jackal w/EZS Rally Sidecar
- 2007 Ducati GT1000
- 2010 MV Agusta 1090RR Brutale

Oh wait, scratch that last one. SWMBO has not yet approved that acquisition :D

·
Registered
900 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Just remember: it's not how long your list is, it's how you use it!

1 - 20 of 31 Posts