Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question folks...going to schedule my 7500 mi service. Shop recommends they change the belts since I'm planning on keeping the bike for at least 2 more years. I know the valves get checked/adjusted as well. Any noticeable improvements to how it would run after this service or is it simply maintenance?

·
Registered
200 Posts
jquattro:
Save for oil and filter, I had the dealership (Proitalia, Glendale CA) do my GT's entire 7500 mi service. Don't think they changed out the belts but did to valve check, tps set, throttle body sync, plugs, etc.
They came in on time and under the estimate; I rode away on a new bike!
Was way smoother and just more...luscious.
Seems like the service interval guideline states that the belts need replacing every 15,000 mi or 2 years.
Again, that 7500mi 'tune-up' made a huge difference in how the bike ran and felt!
Happy riding.

·
Registered
985 Posts
I believe that the service manual states that belts should be changed after no more than 12,000 miles in service. That makes belt replacement a bit early in your case.

I do know of a couple of guys who have had belts fail shortly after they should have been replaced, but were not.

·
Registered
92 Posts
2 years = out of warranty period, so free to make your own choice. It is interesting to see that LT Snyder reports: "My new personal spec is that I replace mine every 15K or 4 years." My bikes don't do many km, so I plan to split the difference at 3 years...

·
Master of Bumnitude
5,133 Posts
Belt replacement is one place I would not try to save money. But there are things you can do if you prefer to lessen the likelihood of an unexpected failure.

The first is a quick inspection. Take a look at the belts. Is there any sign of fraying or wear? How is the tension? No, 'eyeballing' won't enable you to get it right for spot-on performance, but if one belt is obviously tighter or looser than the other you know you at least need to have them adjusted.

Another factor to consider is heat. If your bike is stock lean and you ride it hard (especially in hot weather) your likelihood of a belt failing is greater than a bike that is running rich and ridden moderately. This is because heat-created cylinder expansion tightens the belt. (For this reason it is most often the belt on the vertical cylinder that fails.)

In any case definitely DO NOT go over the recommended mileage for belt replacement. It is false economy. A broken belt usually leads to serious engine damage with bent valves, ruined valve guides, and sometimes even piston or cylinder damage.

-don

·
Registered
775 Posts
Hi Jquattro, you don't say how old your bike is. The official Ducati line (over here in the UK) is to change belts at 15,000 miles or 2 years, whichever occurs soonest. This relates to bikes produced from 2007 onwards.
My 2007 GT1000 had only covered 2,700 miles when I saw it in the dealer's. The belts were changed as part of a 2-year service included in the deal.

As Don says, it's best not to skimp on belts.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all..

Gotta give this cost some thought. The bike is just under 2 yrs old. Warranty is going to expire this summer. Perhaps I ponder the cost of new belts now vs the cost of extended warranty. I recognize the warranty covers lots more, but for the money & deductible I have to weigh the odds.

Bike is ridden March through Dec, not hard (rarely every put it over 6k on the tach) lots of long highway runs.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts