Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of turning my GT1000 into a more 'scrambler' style bike. I've scoured the internet and it seems to me a fairly painless thing to do. The roads where I live are rough (remote Australia) and lots of good dirt roads.

I dont want to buy another bike. I have a big dirt bike ride planned in May, nothing technical just dirt roads.

So Im thinking put some multistrada forks up front and longer shocks at rear. A different exhaust and a skid plate. Some TKC80's on. Higherground clearance.

Anything else anyone can think of? Make it like a convertible bike. Road bike to scrambler to road bike. It can carry stacks of luggage, is comfortable and hauls the mail...

High scrambler pipes? Anyone got examples?

Where's the best place to find dimensions of multistrada forks? Would the triples from a 'strada bolt in?

How would you tell how much longer to make the rear shocks?

All thoughts appreciated.

·
Premium Member
2,887 Posts
Thoughts?

Hmm..."I have a Maserati sedan and I want to turn it into a baja..." :crazy:

Unless you're bound and determined to destroy your bike (and you will given your current plan) and make these bikes even more rare, I would recommend selling what ya got and getting a proper scrambler or other bike that is designed for what you want to do. For example, sell your used GT and buy a new Ducati Scrambler, quite likely without losing a cent. This way when you crash or otherwise damage your bike you will have a supply of parts, new and after-market, quickly available. Heck, or get a nice, used Multistrada...you know, a bike designed for dirt roads and stacks of luggage ;)

While I can somewhat understand wanting the "look", the ability and actual usage of the conversion doesn't make sense. It's your bike, however, so you're allowed to do with it as you wish :crying:

·
Registered
1,322 Posts
I like the idea. I would stop at changing out forks&shock. You will alter the geometry and probably won't like it (its also the most $$), and it may not make it any better off road. Remember Claudio on his little 150cc and Charlie/Ewan struggling with their GS's. I like customized bikes and people who want to customize them, however you state that the roads aren't technical, so some crash protection, maybe a gnarly exhaust and you're good to go! Cheers.

Whatever you do, post pics. :)

·
Premium Member
1,625 Posts
i've ridden my gt on a few miles of single-track when lost in eastern oregon, 2-up w/luggage & camping gear. harrowing at first, but surprised me how well she handled it. this was on street tires with no off-road mods.

that said, i grew up on dirt bikes so a bike this heavy and wide isn't really my first choice for anything seriously technical - mainly because it would be a bear to muscle through mud/stumps and i wouldn't want to have to pick it up (yeah, i crash a lot in the dirt). other thing is i'm not sure how the tank mount system will take a strong sideways bash if she goes over - those little puck/clip attachments are pretty flimsy.

for the odd green lane or gravel road, you'll be fine though - and i'd recommend a hugger (contact JC) to keep the rocks/mud off the back of your cases.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts