Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A couple weeks ago I joined some old forum members on an epic moto tour. While the guys are now riding KTM 1290 adventure bikes (don't worry, they still have their Sport Classics), I still have my GT1000, now at over 80,000 miles, and thought this would be one good last gasp before joining the ADV bike crowd.

I rode for 8 days straight, almost 3,000 miles, from Phoenix, AZ to meet the CA group, through CA to almost the Oregon border. Mostly all back roads. Couple nights of camping, couple hotels. We went through Sequoia & Yosemite national parks. Back down the Pacific Coast Highway from north of San Francisco.

I did have a major breakdown with a stuck injector at the furthest north point, north of Redding, with no cell service. Got towed to a U-Haul, loaded the bike, drove to two different Harley shops near Sacramento (remembering that some Harley models used the same Magneti Marelli injectors), found the part, fixed the bike in the back of the box truck, turned the truck back in, and was able to meet back up with the group that same evening.

I tried to cram some pics into this 2 min 40 sec video: July 2020 Motorcycle Trip

·
Official Retired Person
7,355 Posts
Great trip. Good for you, the group and the GT. Stay on touch though. I'd like to see how many miles you rack up on your GT.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Thanks so much for sharing, loved the video too. We’ve backed away from our yearly GT tours, but it’s great to see someone else who understands how capable they are as a sporting touring rig.

·
Registered
848 Posts
A couple weeks ago I joined some old forum members on an epic moto tour. While the guys are now riding KTM 1290 adventure bikes (don't worry, they still have their Sport Classics), I still have my GT1000, now at over 80,000 miles, and thought this would be one good last gasp before joining the ADV bike crowd.
Sounds like a lot of fun. With 80k miles, besides your injector problem on this trip, what other things besides basic maintenance have you done to your bike?

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sounds like a lot of fun. With 80k miles, besides your injector problem on this trip, what other things besides basic maintenance have you done to your bike?
That's too much to type in one post. I've done lot's of modifications and improvements over the years. On my 3rd set of rear shocks for instance. I have never cracked the case open or had the bottom end apart. I have had the side covers off for a clutch replacement and basket modification to take up some slack/chatter at around 70,000 miles (didn't really need a clutch though) and also for a lightweight flywheel early on. At 80,000 miles I removed both covers again for polishing, and rebuild the top end by rebuilding some spare heads with new valves, valve guides, and cut a 3 angle job on the stock seats, then dropped in some high comp Pistal pistons. Biggest problems have been electrical. Pretty interesting when you open up a factory harness that looks untouched and find wires completely severed with no sign of wear right from the factory! Other than that it's just been the usual issues discussed on this forum...fuel line coming off/disintegrating inside the tank, and finally had the original voltage regulator go out at around 78,000 miles. An ebay "mosfet" replacement only lasted a couple thousand miles and had to replace with a real mosfet. I've had a naggin check engine light on since about 30,000 miles that indicates a short in a coil, but I believe is really a problem with the ECU. It always runs fine though so I just stuck an o-ring in the hole above the light so it isn't as bright when riding.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts