Ducati.ms - The Ultimate Ducati Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thinking about buying a used GT, one of the green-gray ones. First off, what ate the issues with these? This one has about 2k miles on it. Also, is it possible to get a rear seat cowl for it? And finally, can you get dual-one sided aftermarket pipes?

Basically, can I make this thing look like a Biposto?

·
Registered
622 Posts
Thinking about buying a used GT, one of the green-gray ones. First off, what ate the issues with these? This one has about 2k miles on it. Also, is it possible to get a rear seat cowl for it? And finally, can you get dual-one sided aftermarket pipes?

Depending on the model year and with only 2000 miles on it, the fuel line recall may or may not have been taken care of.

I believe a seat cowl from a biposto will just fit if you take the strap off the seat. Do a search on "GT cowl" and you'll likely get some good info.

There are no dual one-sided piped for the GT. You're thinking of the 06 SC1K Monoposto. It'd have to be a custom job if you wanted to do that. Also, that would make it look like a Mono, not a biposto.

Why not look for a biposto if that's what you want?

·
Registered
702 Posts
There are a whole bunch of things you can do to make the GT Sportier. I am probably 90% there (just search for my posts for the gory details). However, the best money you can put into the GT is fixing the stock suspension set up, front and back. Sure, you can make it LOOK faster, but for safety, handling, speed in corners, comfort and generally world-peace, get new forks and rear shocks. There is a lot written about those mods here as well.

As far as cowl for the GT, many of us have customized our seats to receive the cowl of biposto. It might be cheaper to get a racing seat and swap the two depending on riding situation. Also look up the set-up Phil Krug (Pakbikes) is selling for a more customized look.

·
Registered
503 Posts
There are a whole bunch of things you can do to make the GT Sportier. I am probably 90% there (just search for my posts for the gory details). However, the best money you can out into the GT is fixing the stock suspension set up, front and back. Sure, you can make it LOOK faster, but for safety, handling, speed in corners, comfort and generally world-peace, get new forks and rear shocks. There is a lot written about those mods here as well.

As far as cowl for the GT, many of us have customized our seats to receive the cowl of biposto. It might be cheaper to get a racing seat and swap the two depending on riding situation. Also look up the set-up Phil Krug (Pakbikes) is selling for a more customized look.
+1 and a steering dampner...

·
Registered
900 Posts

Issues with this bike are far outweighed by the fun the bike is to ride. Spreading fuel tank is a biggie. Grab the fuel tank by the steering stop and if it jumps up at you, have it fixed (washers on mounts do a great job) or walk on. All Ducati bikes have timing belts which require regular maintenance. Be sure the owner can back up the work with receipts or the dealer(s) in the area can tell you the history. A lot of cheapskates buy Ducati to ride hard until the 7500 mile check and then dump the bike rather than spend the money on the check up. With only 2k on it, there is little the bike will need for a while. Finally, if you want a bi-posto, get one. Don't waste time and money trying to make a GT into one. Most importantly, get something and ride it!

·
Registered
702 Posts
Finally, if you want a bi-posto, get one. Don't waste time and money trying to make a GT into one.
An alternate view: get the GT and have fun modifying with it over time while riding it. The SCs are a perfect canvas to making a personal statement, with so many after-market parts, and plenty of hackers who'd fashion this piece or another for you.

·
Registered
421 Posts
When I was trying to decide between a Sport 1000 (biposto) or a GT, I knew I'd either modify the Sport to make it more 'GT-like', or modify the GT to make it 'Sportier'. In the end I liked the shape of the GT tank better, and the silver engine cases- silly as that sounds. I thought the stock GT bars were too high, but the Sport's clip-ons too low (even though the biposto clip-ons are higher than the '06 mono posto pieces), so I changed to a lower than stock bar that's 'just right'. This is all very subjective, obviously. What's 'just right' for one isn't necessarily for another.

There are guys here that have put bars on Sport 1000's, and who have put clip-ons on GT's. That's really the fun of it. Like Nimi says, it's best to modify the bike over time. As I put time on mine I slowly changed my mind on what I wanted to do to it.

Good luck with either!

·
Registered
900 Posts
When I was trying to decide between a Sport 1000 (biposto) or a GT, I knew I'd either modify the Sport to make it more 'GT-like', or modify the GT to make it 'Sportier'. In the end I liked the shape of the GT tank better, and the silver engine cases- silly as that sounds. I thought the stock GT bars were too high, but the Sport's clip-ons too low (even though the biposto clip-ons are higher than the '06 mono posto pieces), so I changed to a lower than stock bar that's 'just right'. This is all very subjective, obviously. What's 'just right' for one isn't necessarily for another.

There are guys here that have put bars on Sport 1000's, and who have put clip-ons on GT's. That's really the fun of it. Like Nimi says, it's best to modify the bike over time. As I put time on mine I slowly changed my mind on what I wanted to do to it.

Good luck with either!
Counldn't agree more. Lord knows, I've spent some money and time making a GT "sportier" to ride. Along with that, I have set the bike up to look a bit leaner & sportier. Being of unsound mind, I also am setting the bike up so I can do long distance touring on it in the original GT mode. If that weren't enough, I am changing it from grey to red over the winter. So yes, the bike is a perfect "canvas". Once the bikes are stripped of the plastic, they are quite similar.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts